Recent Threads
Main Forum
Page
of 180

What Are Your Pet Peeves In RP?

1798 replies
Pogs:
+280
I don't mind accents in a general sense but I'm not going to sit there trying to figure out the sphinx's riddle every time you say something to me like you're communicating through some sort of world war enigma machine.
Whoa! All of this fine wine is expired... Some if it by DECADES!
Posted Nov 4, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+277
A peeve that keeps rearing it's ugly head:

Assuming profession mechanics are IC

So, Revenants... they're called Revenants and can do all of this other-worldly, wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff thanks to the millions of voices in their heads.

No, not exactly

Berserkers, they're always angry, headbutt people on a regular basis and set people on fire using a magical "rage"

No, not exactly

MY Revenant is actually a Warrior-Ritualist who accepts these new mists-associated abilities as a natural evolution of his craft. He's learned to channel only one person/thing from the mists, so doesn't have five or so other voices buzzing around in his head simultaneously, but can meditate to explore the mists and has to actually sit down and do Ritualistic stuff for anything more impactful.

MY Berserker is a Norn with a relatively sensible, peaceful side. He picks his fights wisely, doesn't headbutt people for kicks (although he does threaten to throw folk out of windows if they misbehave) and doesn't have a magical bone in his body, so by consequence hasn't even heard of the "rage"

Just because people have that little symbol above their heads, while it doesn't mean characters can't learn, it does mean that characters actually can't do all of what that profession says they can do.
Posted Nov 4, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+2,556
Hobbit Rifleman Well said! I have an engineer who uses bows because he's scared of guns. Naturally, that means he's actually a ranger in game mechanics, but I refuse to give him any nature magic abilities!
T1yz64g.png
Fuffydud.1352

Posted Nov 5, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+17
That has always bugged me a little. I picked Guardian for my charr because the blue fire they got fits the aesthetic for the concept I had for him, yet when I explain his powers someone always asks: "So you're a guardian?"

Well I'm a shit one because if I'm meant to be guarding something/someone I don't know what/who it is.
Posted Nov 5, 17
Pogs:
+1,590
Guardians don't need to guard anything.
It's simply a way of magic and fighting.
Ikata.3750

I've too many characters to even list here..
So here's the names of a few:

Torchclaw Cloudfire
Sheila Braidtail
Shaman Cauldronburn
Kyra Whisperwood
Imus Underboot
Kennis Eveningsong
Posted Nov 5, 17
Pogs:
+56

So, Revenants... they're called Revenants and can do all of this other-worldly, wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff thanks to the millions of voices in their heads.

No, not exactly

Berserkers, they're always angry, headbutt people on a regular basis and set people on fire using a magical "rage"

No, not exactly

MY Revenant is actually a Warrior-Ritualist who accepts these new mists-associated abilities as a natural evolution of his craft. He's learned to channel only one person/thing from the mists, so doesn't have five or so other voices buzzing around in his head simultaneously, but can meditate to explore the mists and has to actually sit down and do Ritualistic stuff for anything more impactful.

MY Berserker is a Norn with a relatively sensible, peaceful side. He picks his fights wisely, doesn't headbutt people for kicks (although he does threaten to throw folk out of windows if they misbehave) and doesn't have a magical bone in his body, so by consequence hasn't even heard of the "rage"

Just because people have that little symbol above their heads, while it doesn't mean characters can't learn, it does mean that characters actually can't do all of what that profession says they can do.

THIS. My engineer sylvari is not actually an engineer. She's just a rifle enthusiast and collector, and it's the only medium armor profession that can use them (I don't count Thief because you need an elite spec for rifles on them).
Posted Nov 5, 17
Pogs:
+1,410

No, not exactly

No, not exactly

People take gameplay mechanics and other things way too seriously at times. I've honestly had to debate people trying to tell me that asura and norn run at the same pace :p.

Though, The two npc revenants we have, one mentions multiple voices (rytlock), and the other mentions a singular voice (Kalla). So having a singular attunement isn't that crazy :d.

As for zerker, my warrior who uses that is actually somewhat 'attuned' to fire magic, and is learning it. So it's not "RAGE SMASH", but learned fire spells. Course, it's great to see another who doesn't use magic! My seraph (warrior mentioned) didn't use magic at all really until recently.
wrote:
That has always bugged me a little. I picked Guardian for my charr because the blue fire they got fits the aesthetic for the concept I had for him, yet when I explain his powers someone always asks: "So you're a guardian?"

Well I'm a shit one because if I'm meant to be guarding something/someone I don't know what/who it is.

Guardians can simply be guarding friends or home. There is no set things they must do. It's just the typical behavior of the class :p.
Guardians don't need to guard anything.
It's simply a way of magic and fighting.
Also true.

edit: Personal ads that don't ask "Does my char fit what you seek? Does your char fit what I seek? Let's see if it works out!" but basically go "You should make this exact char that fits all of my needs."

Similar, if a guild goes and does the same thing, instead of trying to work your char in they just want you to make a new one.

Personal waryness I have, guild plotlines. Every time I see one I go "Will I need to do a bunch of reading to understand what's going on?" or "Would my char even be a part of it, or just a random bystander?"
GW2 home server- Sorrow's Furnance Kalavier.1097
The Noble The SurvivorThe Commander

Feedback is great, and helps to improve us. If something seems off in my bios, come poke me and discuss it! If something is awesome, tell me! :)
Posted Nov 5, 17 · Last edited Nov 5, 17
Pogs:
+277
wrote:
Personal waryness I have, guild plotlines. Every time I see one I go "Will I need to do a bunch of reading to understand what's going on?" or "Would my char even be a part of it, or just a random bystander?"

The bane of my RP life.

I understand guilds want varied plotlines, but since not all characters fit all plots (as much as people no doubt try)...
... let's just say, don't be surprised if I personally don't turn up to your month-long intrigue or crime drama storylines... because I don't have a detective and/or Seraph character to go with it!

There have also been plenty of instances where I've had to say "Yes, but my character ICly is at the other side of the world and/or wouldn't have heard of or really care about what's currently going on". As much as people say "Oh, just tag along!" I have to say "But how!? What reason has my character got for being there? How would it work?".

People need to realise that this is not me chickening out of offered RP, it's me thinking logically about my characters and what they'd likely be doing at the time in question. Bottom line: would it be ICly possible to get from A to B, kitted out for whatever scenario presents itself, in the time allotted?

That's why I like knowing as much as I can, ICly if possible, about what my characters are getting themselves into, so I can make sense of it OOC and give my guys a reason to care and actually get involved! :lol:

On the flip side though, I've gotten into an RP, then thought "Sh*t, my other character would have been PERFECT for the scenario that's unfolded". By this point, the RP is already half an hour in and it'd break immersion to suddenly change characters.
Posted Nov 5, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+1,410
wrote:

The bane of my RP life.

I understand guilds want varied plotlines, but since not all characters fit all plots (as much as people no doubt try)...
... let's just say, don't be surprised if I personally don't turn up to your month-long intrigue or crime drama storylines... because I don't have a detective and/or Seraph character to go with it!

There have also been plenty of instances where I've had to say "Yes, but my character ICly is at the other side of the world and/or wouldn't have heard of or really care about what's currently going on". As much as people say "Oh, just tag along!" I have to say "But how!? What reason has my character got for being there? How would it work?"

People need to realise that this is not me chickening out of offered RP, it's me thinking logically about my characters and what they'd likely be doing at the time in question. Bottom line: would it be ICly possible to get from A to B, kitted out for whatever scenario presents itself, in the time allotted?

That's why I like knowing as much as I can, ICly if possible, about what my characters are getting themselves into, so I can make sense of it OOC and give my guys a reason to care and actually get involved! :lol:

On the flip side though, I've gotten into an RP, then thought "Sh*t, my other character would have been PERFECT for the scenario that's unfolded". By this point, the RP is already half an hour in and it'd break immersion to suddenly change characters.

Was something I forget, but bolded part ESPECIALLY.

I can't RP a char one day in Hoelbrek, next in Verdant Brink, third in Amnoon.

It's why I'm kinda blah atm because my Seraph went to the desert with some of the others, so while I want to RP her in kryta, I feel like once she returns she has little reason to head back out. But I've turned down a bunch of RP simply on the basis of "My chars wouldn't be there." or "My chars wouldn't be hanging out with that group."

I have to have a reason for my character to be out there for me to get into it.
GW2 home server- Sorrow's Furnance Kalavier.1097
The Noble The SurvivorThe Commander

Feedback is great, and helps to improve us. If something seems off in my bios, come poke me and discuss it! If something is awesome, tell me! :)
Posted Nov 5, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Page
of 180
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices