Recent Threads
Main Forum

[IC Book] The Shadowstep

8 replies
Pogs:
+83
The Shadowstep
Theory and practices of shadowmagic

News slowly spreads throughout the libraries and bookworms of Tyria about the release of a new tome. A book on the practices of the shadowstep, containing within all the theories of the shadowmagic utilizing Asura, Thexin. Any who wish to read it would easily find it within the libraries of any major city. Purchasing a copy for yourself from the publisher would set you back only a couple of silver.

To any who get their hands on the book, it would be clear a message is written on the back of it:
"Greetings Reader, it is my hope this tome will share with you my knowledge and experience on the art of shadowmagic. However, keep in mind that these theories are spawned from my own practices over the years. They are unverified, and magic is different to each individual. I cannot guarantee the contents of this book will apply to you, as they do to me. It is likely you will find contradictions with your own experience with magic, and neither of us would be right nor wrong."

Links:
https://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/09/30/thexin-shadowstep/thexin-shadowstep.pdf
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pv71pzthw40brwy/thexin-shadowstep.pdf?dl=0

OOC
For several years now, I've been RP'ing my Asura thief, Thexin. The character has always been specialized in the use of shadowmagic, it being an important part of his personal storyline. Throughout the years, I've been experimenting with variations of the usual shadowstep, and I kept recording notes and theories on how it might work from a IC standpoint.

Origins
Long ago, Thexin was asked to teach someone in the use of shadowmagic. I quickly started researching all GW2 lore I could find on the subject, as well as come up with my own theories based on logical deduction of the skills, visuals and existing lore.

Quite recently, Thexin was again asked to teach someone. These notes grew, and eventually turned into a short tome on the subject. It was entertaining to work on it, and here it stands now for everyone to read.

The contents are a mixture of existing GW2 lore and my own wild theories, as from the perspective of Thexin.

Disclaimer
Please keep in mind that I am NOT assuming my theories to be correct, at all. They work for my character, but I doubt they'd apply to everyone. IC-wise, Thexin believes the theories to be true, and they have worked for him so far. This doesn't mean that Thexin is right.

Closing Statement
I hope the contents might provide you with inspiration for interesting uses of shadowmagic!

If your character ever wishes to contact the author of the tome, it would be easy to send a letter. Feel free to send a PM to Bulska.1402!

Enjoy!
Posted Sep 30, 16 · OP · Last edited Nov 28, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Doc
Pogs:
+584
Only read a couple of pages so far but I love it! Can I pog this twice?
Marrek.5823
Posted Sep 30, 16
Pog
List
Undo
Doc
Pogs:
+584
Bump, I'm unhappy how this post fell through the cracks on the forums, do yourself some good and read it!
Marrek.5823
Posted Mar 19, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+83
Thanks for the bump! xD
Did not expect that, glad you enjoy it :3

I've been inactive in RP for awhile but I had the idea in my mind of starting a magic oriented guild where members share knowledge on magic with each other and others, train in it, and investigate / go on missions where their expertise with the arcane will be invaluable. No idea if people are looking for that sort of thing, though
Posted Mar 30, 17 · OP
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+5
While I only read through half of it by now, I gotta say I really enjoyed the book :d
The theories make sense without being overly complicated (which I was expecting from an Asura...) and the statements are open enough as to not limit other people's ideas of how the shadowstep or shadowarts in general works.
My only criticism would be that the font was a tad too small, but eh, nothing note worthy.
All in all, thank you for the contribution and good job! :d
Posted Mar 31, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+23
Hey, this is awesome! I'm definitely getting inspiration for my own thief characters, so thanks so much for sharing your work! Wish I could pog this more than once, but a friendly bump will have to do.
Sentinel Caradoc | Adomania.8914 | Brooke#1858 (Discord)
Posted Apr 2, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+9
Do you have this uploaded anywhere else? My Virus checker's flagging the site. Probably isn't and it's just it being over cautious but then so am I.
Posted Oct 26, 17 · Last edited Oct 26, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+104
Beautiful work! Joan would be IC adding it to her shelf soon ^.^
Posted Oct 26, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+83
wrote:
Do you have this uploaded anywhere else? My Virus checker's flagging the site. Probably isn't and it's just it being over cautious but then so am I.

Yeah, that site is a bit iffy. Here's a public dropbox link instead!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pv71pzthw40brwy/thexin-shadowstep.pdf?dl=0

Thanks for the kind words, guys. You're really bringing up that itch to get back into RP xD
Posted Nov 28, 17 · OP · Last edited Nov 28, 17
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices