Recent Threads
Main Forum
Page
of 7

Un-bubbling the EU community

66 replies
Pogs:
+407
12-15 people might be a bit generous number these days, and even if so, it is a safe bet that most of them are either afk or chatting OOC at the Ministers Waypoint. In other words, DR is basically dead which sucks for the people whose characters have no reason to go over to Amnoon. I can tell as I am one of those unfortunate souls.
Character: Hisako Tayasu
Personal Story: In Exile
The Krytan Commonwealth Manifesto: A Vindication
Posted Sun at 12:16 am · Last edited Sun at 0:22
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+997
It might be since Gossa did a purge of non-Amnoonites, but those numbers were pretty steady for a long while.

In any case, -I- didn't have a reason to go to Elona either. But let us be honest here. We don't really have a reason for most of what we do. Since about middle way with Zuuda I had no reason to leave Rata Sum, and for a few weeks my RP really hit the slumps since we had just done the Lion's Arch Scarlet attack, I had RPed with the Priory, loads of gold came into Z's hands but Rata Sum was reliably empty most of the time. Why would someone with loads of money and an allergy to danger keep going out, especially to a nutty place like DR where RPers don't half think about pulling guns or undead monsters to brawl each other? I chose to say I spent all the gold buying and furnishing a lab for her and it has been a theme for her since. Earn gold, spend gold. There, a reason to grumble and leave the lab to earn some more.

90% of asura RPers would be happily stuck in their laboratories or in Rata Sum instead of traipsing around in the world or hang around in the human city. Criminals on the run ought to be hidding in some distant speck of a village, but instead they hang around in the most populated city.

The list goes on. So, a reason to go Elona should not be difficult either.

- My boss told me to go check if there was money making opportunities here.
- My funds are down, so I thought I'd come and see if there was a way to fleece the natives and return with gold.
- My friend/family member came to Elona to make money but I haven't heard from them in weeks and they stopped writing back, so I came to look for them.
- A dumbass I loaned money to escaped to Elona with it instead of paying me back! I'm chasing after him!
- No one knows me over Elona, so it's a fresh start.
- Oh gosh, I heard there were beaches and lots of sun ::ditzy giggling::
- ADVENTURE! GLORY! DEFENDING THE INNOCENT AND THE WEAK!
- I heard the plight of Elonians from the refuges, and decided to take a month off and come help them where I can. Even if I'm not a fighter I'm a ::insert role::.
- The architecture is simply fascinating. I had to come and investigate.
- I hear they have new branches of necromancy/mesmerism/guardianism and I -really- want to see if I can learn these new ways of using magic!
- I'm bored. So I came to Elona.
- By the Pale Mother! A new land! New peoples! New things to learn!
- By Bear! A new land! Giant monsters to build my legend upon!
- My ears! I want to test these inventions, but the inquest is always on my tail to spy on me, so I came to the dead end of the world to do so!

Seriously, so many possible reasons, and no one is going to nitpick any of them. Going to Amnoon does not need to mean being a big brave warrior who is going to battle the evils of the world. Sticking around Amnoon itself is a thing too. The place still needs waiters, bakers, shoe makers. There are the same social RP opportunities than DR has, but with a distinct frontier wild wild west flavor to it. A sandstorm event covered the city, then for a week there was water rationing as the community scrambled to remove the sulphur tainted sand from the wells and the asura and the elementalists worked at cleansing the water. Its common to not eat poultry, but instead a freshly caught and butchered sand shark or some other giant monstruosity.
Girl Genius Zuuda - Merchant, inventor, omnomnivore.

Zuuda Sharptongue - Mage apprentice, Khajiitmasterace, still kinda omnommnivore.
Posted Sun at 01:42 am · Last edited Sun at 1:50
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+407
Oh yeah, I had my character stick around in Amnoon now and then. But you know, when you get ignored a couple of times OOC and IC by the people there, it kinda eventually makes you wonder why should you waste your time in the first place.
Posted Sun at 01:59 am · Last edited Sun at 1:59
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+590
I must say, I am quite baffled by the rhetoric suggesting that Amnoon is essentially the be all and end all for RP. I would be flattered, if it weren't entirely untrue. There is a wealth of wonderful EU guilds focused near enough entirely around Tyria who I imagine would certainly refute such claims. Divinity's Reach is exceptionally quiet at this time, but I believe that has much less to do with NOON and more to do with a lack of guilds invested in providing RP there, such as the tavern guilds that come and go every so often. Furthermore, "Go Elona or GTFO" certainly is not the attitude of those of us invested in the Elona scene. On the NOON forums we allow for community events, even unrelated to the region to be posted and do what we can to show support and encourage our membership to attend. Irregardless of that, I do not think it fair to place NOON on trial for a perceived lack of opportunities elsewhere. It seems particularly unfair given that this is a thread about unbubbling the community. NOON hosts community events, keeps our door open to anyone visiting and has collaborated with other guilds, even as far as advertising their own community efforts. That cannot be said for many other guilds. Yet just like those guilds, many of which strictly close their doors to any outsider, we are a guild in our own right and are not obligated to provide for anything outside any individual who is part of our membership. Yet we do what we can and if people just don't like Elona, please don't blame us for your problems.

As to your accusation Malister , firstly allow me to apologise if that was truly your experience. However, when you only pop your head in once in a blue moon and otherwise hold your sole contribution as standing OOC on a mount, you tend to find it's more difficult to break the ice. What's more, we have a rotation of many regular events running pretty much daily and encourage people to attend as a way of making connections. You never attended any events, nor did you reach out to contact the Mentorship Team in place who are always ready to assist those struggling with fitting in, or even anyone in the Admin Team who could've pointed you in the right direction. What's more, we have a list of group initiatives that we encourage members to join and they advertise quite openly. I am aware you never joined with any of these either. Not to mention, I sometimes miss when people have whispered or spoken to me, even when it's not particularly busy due to alt-tabbing or just getting distracted. It helps to reach out to people in these circumstances as it's usually always just an honest oversight. Yet seeing as you can at least communicate your feelings so publicly, you'll forgive me if I find it unreasonable that you couldn't convey this to any one of our admin team and instead take to what is really slandering on the GW2RP forums. Substituting the word 'NOON' with 'Amnoon' isn't pulling the wool over anyone's eyes.
Posted Sun at 05:19 am
Pogs:
+407
Goss, you misunderstand me. If this was taken as me trying to sling mud at NOON, no, that was not my intention at all. So my apologies if my words came across as such. But at the same time, I would challenge the notion that every single time I was around in Amnoon was "just standing OOC on a mount". Because that is simply not true. But. I believe that if you would like to discuss the matter further, we can do that elsewhere as I think we are moving quite a bit offtopic here.
Posted Sun at 05:40 am
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+590
wrote:
Goss, you misunderstand me. If this was taken as me trying to sling mud at NOON, no, that was not my intention at all. So my apologies if my words came across as such. But at the same time, I would challenge the notion that every single time I was around in Amnoon was "just standing OOC on a mount". Because that is simply not true. But. I believe that if you would like to discuss the matter further, we can do that elsewhere as I think we are moving quite a bit offtopic here.

It is inappropriate that it was even brought here in the first place, but for that I accept your apology and welcome you to speak with me in-game if you would like to pursue resolution on anything. If people have any problem with myself or something in my guild, I would expect them to approach me in-game. If I am not aware of an issue, it's not one that I can fix. However, as far as this discussion is concerned, the thread is about unbubbling the community. I'd appreciate it if people could get back to that and leave my guild out of it. All you need know to that is we have our door open to any visitors. Certainly, I think it's a very worthy topic and one that doesn't need derailment.
Posted Sun at 05:54 am · Last edited Sun at 5:57
Page
of 7
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices