Recent Threads
Main Forum

Getting started? Where to go?

3 replies
Pogs:
Hey there!

I'm an experience role player, but i've only done purely text-based roleplay thusfar. It's something i plan to do on this forum, and hope to greatly enjoy. Praying there's decent activity to it aswell. But i'm not sure where exactly to start, since this forum isn't dedicated to text based roleplay and doesn't have the rules i'm used to for such. It is from my earlier experiences and what i've read from the rules, my understanding that i should probably still post my roleplay profile of my character in the character profile section, as a point of reference for those who would like to roleplay with me?

And furthermore, while i have seen ingame roleplay in WoW, and am familiar with it due to seeing my brother perform in it, i myself am rather inexperienced with it. I'd like some people to give their thoughts as to how GW2 works for ingame roleplay and that it's worth it for me looking to get into it!

To summarize, i'd like to see the following questions answered:
1a. How do i go about joining on text-based roleplay here? What is the best, most convenient method? (making it easy for other roleplayers to allow me into their threads and have a fun time with me?)
1b. How active is text based roleplay currently on this forum? What kind of things are currently happening in it?
1c. What should i know before i join text-based roleplay? are there any overall events or factions which are currently in the limelight which i should know more about before trying to step in? (i am currently in Living world, Season 2, gameplay wise, not very far into it! i'm trying my best to catch up to the story and lore when i have the time to do so!)

2a. How do you experience ingame roleplay in GW2?
2b. Would you recommend it, and for what reasons would you recommend it?
2c. Were i to get started on it, aside from the guides on this forum, do you have any advice (I'm EU if that's important!)?
Posted Aug 29, 17 · OP
Pogs:
+3,787
Don't remember seeing a lot of text-based RP on those forums. It's more of a place for GW2 RPers in general and to organize in-game events.
Piken Square RPer!
Growl Bladeskin | Aelius Brightmane | Tilaw Stainsoul | Evi Shadowstep | Sceledrus Irontail | Inquisitor Moltenclaw | Demolitionist Lhymm | Bioenhancer Mukhin | Sulyenn Nightborn | Cailean Angelonia | Maelon Amaryllis | Vethorn Ulfkelson | Mikael Shineblood | Kristopher Lockhart
Posted Aug 29, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+1,068
Hello and welcome to GW2RP and GW2 in general!
I'll cut right to the chase:

1a. There's a tab on the forums called 'Tales of Heroism' and under the tab, there's a sub-forum called 'Forum Roleplay'. That's where you can do text-based RP on GW2RP, so you just make a new thread in which you start off your desired forum RP and then wait until people join, really.

1b. Not at all, to be perfectly honest. You will find threads every once in a blue moon, but in general people here prefer In Game RP, for the most part and it's mostly structured to make finding IG RP easier. As for what's going on, I can't quite answer that as I don't really delve into text-based RP myself. You are of course free to go to the sub-forum and see if there's something you enjoy and want to join in.

1c. Once again, as far as I know of, there aren't any forum-based events or factions, really. If anything, checking out the lore of the game itself is as close as you'll get, and from there you can kick things off. Most forum RP here tend to be tavern-based with some occasional ones that break the mold, really.

2a. You experience it the same way you do in any other MMO really. You create a character and head towards the RP hotspots (which usually are either Divinity's Reach or Lion's Arch, but in the EU side of things you will find RP events on every racial capital depending on the day of the week) and from there, you can join a guild or try your luck with spontaneous RP on a tavern or the streets of the cities.

2b. Honestly, I'd recommend without even a second thought. RP in game is always much more immersive and enjoyable, considering you see the characters of everyone else and it offers a much more immediate and smooth experience. In a forum RP you could wait a whole day before getting a reply, while In Game the RP just flows fast and naturally. You also have a small array of emotes to use which usually makes RP a bit more flavored. Plus, honestly, the majority of people in these forums RP in game, so it's your best bet to find RP soon, I'd say.

2c. You can find guilds to join on the EU Guild Recruitment sub-forum. All you have to do is read the recruitment threads and see what each guild requires to join, and either PM their officers through here or in game to see to your recruitment. Some guilds will require you to fill out a little 'interview sheet' on the corresponding website of their guild to get some info about you as a roleplayer and some minor stuff about your experience and character.
Another way is to simply just go out in game and RP with random people on taverns and main cities, and if you hear about an RP guild that catches your interest, you can simply whisper them and ask for more info! Keep in mind that it doesn't matter if you're not in Piken Square (the RP server) as with the Megaservers all you need to do is form a party and Join your party member on their shard, which will automatically transport you to the Piken Square server with the rest of the RPers, until you log off of course.
Piken Square RPer!
Nezgar Bladeskin | Syriak Scalemane | Ardek Embertail | Njord Ogmundrson | Askold Hjovarson | Qaspiel Zaazenach | Seth Lockhart | Erik Hughes | Carwyn Duskborn | Clionadh Nightborn | Tiarnach Dawnborn | Iorwerth Nightborn | Fearghal Dawnborn | Technomancer Ghiall | Biochemist Slyenn | Magisaboteur Rhigg
Posted Aug 29, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
Concise, Clear answer! thank you very much. I'll look into starting up on ingame roleplay and finding people to rolelpay with, then. i'll be needing to perfect one of my characters visually and assemble something i'm going to feel comfortable with roleplaying with other people.

Welp. Time to spend the following few days leveling a mesmer to 80, i guess! (which is kind of nice cause i needed a new excuse to level up a character and spend some time in GW2)
Posted Aug 29, 17 · OP
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices