Recent Threads
Main Forum

An idea: Every so often "meeting of minds" get-together and more?

9 replies
Pogs:
+1,475
Hello there folks! Some of you might recall way back when Season 2 of the living world was shiny and new. There was a concept ran called "the Meeting of Minds". Where guilds and freelancers alike (but mainly guilds) Could gather and dicuss the going ons of Tyria, Both created by Arena-net via the living world and by other roleplayers. It's intent was simple: provide a way for those that wanted to mingle and involve others in their plots the logical means of doing so in an easy to know in character fashion.

Around the time of HoT and the droughtTM this event stopped.
I was wondering, though it was good, it also had some flaws. (expressed by myself- as a host and participant and others) ~one of the most obvious is that, smaller, non adventuerious guilds would often feel either out of place or not attend due to it not fitting their own style.

As such while I would like to revive it, it wouldn't quite be the same as it was.

Thus my proposal is two fold:

1:
A Reworked meeting of minds, That occurs every Two/three months,
2:
A gathering of service/small scaled guilds to promote their services. Set on a different date and timescale then the meeting of minds.
The point of this thread isn't just to gauze interest, But see if-
A: They'd be wanted before committing to it.
B: Allow people to provide feedback and their input on- if it is wanted. Hoe to make it fair and open, without becoming a clusterfuck of emotes.

Now, As with every project, there's pros and cons to it, Which I will list here, others may add onto in their own posts too.
Pros:
+ Guilds that want to, can gather and interact with guilds they may not have had a chance too otherwise in a setting where it makes sense!
+ The increased time between meetings means that There is more time between them to actually rp-out the conclusions at the end of meetings
+ Both adventurous and non adventitious guilds get equal lime-light without feeling out of place or out of their depth. Which maintains realism.
+ For the MoM, The three month cadence means that there will be at least one point of discussion. (The Living world of course.)
Cons:
- Not every Guild will get along or want to get along.
- It will require allot of organisation and work to pull off
- The Smaller-scope meeting needs both a name and date
- Requires a willing group or individual lot of hosts who can keep up with the crawl.
- Can take allot of time due to different typing speeds and other factors
- Needs a balance between allowing freedom and rules to keep it form devolving into a shouting match that leaves many turned off
- Criminals guilds may find it awkward or impossible to attend due to their nature?

So would people be interested in this? If so. What would you suggest in order to make the running of both go smoothly, both for those taking part and hosting?
If Not, Why and is there anything that could "rescue it" for you?
Gametag: RobinTair.1806

Truu: Pact soldier turned merc
Diathi: Mender, Gardener, Troublemaker.
Laossi: Pastel-hued pacifist

Posted Dec 4, 17 · OP
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+573
Anything that looks to bring the community together will always have my support. Although, as someone who did not attend the previous events, I could perhaps use a little clarification. I wouldn't wish to start weighing my opinions and suggestions around just in case I might completely have the wrong end of the stick as to the motivation and intention behind this!

- What exactly will be the agenda set into place with these meetings?
- Who is calling for the meeting to take place and why invite X, Y and Z guild?
- On a more personal inquiry, I like that you've taken into consideration the smaller guilds who may be drowned out. Where there's gatherings like this, it's something that happens all too frequently. With NOON, as you're aware we're a large guild, but made up of very varied initiatives, some of which are essentially alike small guilds in their own right. We do not have any clear cut IC leader for the entirety of the guild. How would we go about getting involved, assuming multiple initiatives were to show interest?
Posted Dec 4, 17 · Last edited Dec 4, 17
Pogs:
+1,475
- The agenda differs for the two in character. The Meeting of Mind's Agenda is as befitting it's greater scope, interested in what they can do to better tyria and respond to the various threats and situations that befall it. While the Unnamed initiative is all about a chance of cooperation and highlighting their services.

- The host(s) for both initives Are not as of yet set in stone, but my own potential character is Diathi, a Pact vetern and founding member of the Traveling kindred/Guild known as Sylvanheart. The reason for calling X or Y guilld would be for what they can bring to the table. Be it news, services or other postive traits. This would be for the Meeting or minds. For the smaller gathering, Think of it like a bigger, more varied market. inculding being advertised so people may choose on if they want to go or not.

- For guilds like [NOON] or the Asura community's [INQ] Who are less actual clear-cut groups but rather a hub that hosts many different groups, individuals and organisations bound by a common thread/theme. Or groups like the magpies who do not have leaders. Leeway is given. The leaders of each individual organisation ic may represent themselves, or a small group representing their pack may attend and speak.

Posted Dec 4, 17 · OP
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+2,794
I would suggest not running this on a fixed schedule, but instead hosting it in response to story updates (or other updates) that might merit a response in rp. Give it roughly a couple of weeks after a significant update for people to play it and gather their thoughts, then hold a meeting to respond to it.

The old Meeting of Minds back in Season 1 and 2 honestly provided very little rp that wasn't living story related. If guilds want to get together or hire each other, they don't really need an event like this to accomplish it. The value the initiative had was in giving people a platform to have a shared reaction to story events, and to get to know what other guilds were doing in response. It helped create a community wide reaction, where the majority of the guilds on the server could roughly agree on how and when story events happened, which is something that would be valuable to have again today for many reasons.
Ingjald Firebeard
~The Magpie Mercenaries~
Posted Dec 4, 17
Pogs:
+573
Thanks for the prompt response. This sounds really fascinating and I can see all the potential it has to offer for anyone getting involved on some level or another. Colour me very much intrigued. If you do get sufficient interest and this goes ahead, I will certainly encourage people to attend. As to direct assistance with the actual running, I can see it certainly could benefit from a few good hands to help manage. I am myself rather busy and have a tendency for taking on too much. So I'll tentatively just say that if you are stuck and could use some help, please don't hesitate to hit me up!
Posted Dec 4, 17
Pogs:
+2,794
I've helped out with one or two of the old meetings years ago, and they're not actually all that tough to pull of on the day itself. You just pick a location (cycle through each of the major cities with an Asura gate from event to event), find a nice spot, set a few rough ground rules (eg request people to keep unrelated internal guild chatter out of public channels to reduce spam for everyone), and then put up a date and time.

The hard part is setting the agenda beforehand, as this depends on interested parties discussing the latest patch in a thread and agreeing on how it should be responded to IC, and what stage things are at by the time of the meeting. Even this really isn't too bad, as many guilds may be willing to determine their own reactions according to what the community are agreeing on to some extent. Most people would rather get some rp by having something they can agree on than they would get their own way, especially if they get enough advance warning.

Having some idea of who is running it IC is important, though. I believe the original meeting was hosted by the Priory, which made a lot of sense given the intention, and gave it a certain amount of IC clout as something people would want to show up to.
Ingjald Firebeard
~The Magpie Mercenaries~
Posted Dec 4, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+1,475
The Schedule is indeed meant to reflect more story update-release, thus the "two/three months" instead of a strict once a month. But it can be adjusted depending on further feedback.

In the thread proper the who-is running will be set in stone and intended for someone for whom it would make sense. Diathi for example would be hosting it on behalf of the Pact. For when it makes sense. (This thread is for catching interest, potential volunteers and feedback!)

Posted Dec 4, 17 · OP
Pogs:
+1,296
I mean, conceptually I like this idea but every time I went before it was incredibly dull. It turned me off reattending.

I don't know how to fix this. Waiting in a circle for your 2-minute chance to speak amongst 20 other guilds is just not very fun.

But I am super interested in initiatives to restore some kind of co-operation between the generally bubbled nature of guilds at the moment, so I'm divided on this one.
1mk3oA4.png
The GFC recruitment is ON HOLD!

Cynthia's Apothecarium - Miraculous cures, cantrips and curses!
Posted Dec 4, 17
Pogs:
+2,794
I mean, conceptually I like this idea but every time I went before it was incredibly dull. It turned me off reattending.

I don't know how to fix this. Waiting in a circle for your 2-minute chance to speak amongst 20 other guilds is just not very fun.
I agree with you here, and I think this happened because the previous initiative put too much of an emphasis on networking between guilds, when in reality that wasn't really why most people were there.

At least in my experience we were there because we wanted an IC chance to learn about recent events in a way that gave us common ground with the rest of the rp community, and so that we didn't feel like we had to put ourselves into a bubble whenever we wanted to react to the latest story update. We weren't there because we desperately wanted a chance to spend two minutes advertising our guild in front of everyone else.

If this were to return I would suggest making it into more of an IC information sharing and discussion forum (with an agenda agreed OOC in advance), and plenty of time for people to react/ask for clarification etc. This could be followed up by a section where the host discusses where and how people are most likely in need of help as a result of recent events, (which would provide a lot of the IC value for the more commercially minded guilds present, without the need for everyone to do a massive introductory speech asking others to hire us). It would be as simple as ending up with "Refugees in Amnoon are desperately in need of supplies and assistance, while those still making the journey through territory controlled by Balthazar's forged... etc etc."

This would seem consistent with the old meetings, which were meant as a gathering of groups either looking to help out or to find paid opportunities for work as a result of current events, while letting us skip the lengthy and tedious introduction and advertisement phase. It also helps answer Goss' question about larger guilds with various IC groups, as if we're not doing lengthy introductions it's much less of a problem for one guild to field several separate groups at each event, as this won't significantly lengthen the proceedings the way it would in the old system.
Ingjald Firebeard
~The Magpie Mercenaries~
Posted Dec 5, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+1,475
That's a brilliant idea Zag and something akin to what I'd intended. Because constantly introing the guilds every meeting IS boring af. Espically when for the sake of clarification, There could be a simple post/thread on the various ic-groups involved (Along with the agenda posted in advance.)

I'd still like for there to be some empathises on giving folks a chance to interact with those they may not have gotten a chance to before. But it'd more about reaction and natural responses. Rather then having to wait in silence while someone types something you heard potentially for the xth time in a row.

Posted Dec 5, 17 · OP
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices