Main Forum
Page
of 2

New Guildwars 2 Roleplayer looking to get involved

16 replies
Liv o
Pogs:
+185
What a wonderful, overwhelmingly positive thread! Breath of Fresh air to say the least!
Thalidir
If you're looking to join a guild that'll throw you into the thick of it and help you out along the way, we'd love to have you check us out- you seem like solid folk!

pact82nd.enjin.com

Check us out!
DcEneyP.jpg
Posted Thu at 10:19 am
Pogs:
+91
wrote:
What a wonderful, overwhelmingly positive thread! Breath of Fresh air to say the least!
Thalidir
If you're looking to join a guild that'll throw you into the thick of it and help you out along the way, we'd love to have you check us out- you seem like solid folk!

pact82nd.enjin.com

Check us out!

Only works if they're in the same server set. The introduction is for the EU side. He could very well be on an EU server and thus would have 0 fun with an NA guild.
uFsZJ7M.png
Posted Thu at 07:37 pm
Pogs:
+1,168
Non sense! They can do forum role play or better yet reroll on NA and stay up late with us burgers.
Posted Thu at 11:11 pm
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+2,820
wrote:
Does that mean that the in game profession / classes actually reflect on your character's performance here in GW2 roleplay? That might come across as an odd question to one who doesn't understand my backing lol. But for example, the circles I come from. MMORPG game classes had -no- sway over what role that character fulfilled.Just dictates what weapons that character would be able to wield ICly etc etc etc. So is it legit? I should take it for 100% serial seriousnessmess. Super serial. That their character's are what they depicted the class to be?
The profession your character is in the game doesn't have to have any bearing on your roleplay. While some people prefer to match their character's abilities as closely as possible between roleplay and gameplay, others are quite happy to convey their character's IC skillset through speech and emotes, making the choice of profession for their avatar much more open.

There's also the fact that since your profession limits what weapons and armour you can equip, some people have multiple versions of a single rp character to enable them to equip a wider variety of armour for different situations (e.g. a heavy armour class for fighting and a light armour class for dressing up fancy when not somewhere dangerous).

There are also less skilled or commoner rp characters who wouldn't fit into any of the available professions anyway.

As a general rule, if you see an rp character with a specific profession OOC it's more likely than not that they also roughly match this profession IC. However, you shouldn't take this as a fact, because there are many exceptions.

wrote:
So the wiki is considered to be the "fount of knowledge"? Isn't that player editted?
Yes, it's player edited. It's pretty accurate, but also not fully reliable.

The wiki is good for getting a general idea about a topic, especially when you're new to the game, but you're best off not picking pages apart in minute detail or quoting specific wording from the wiki as part of a lore argument.
Ingjald Firebeard
~The Magpie Mercenaries~
Posted Fri at 01:01 pm
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+219
wrote:
Does that mean that the in game profession / classes actually reflect on your character's performance here in GW2 roleplay? That might come across as an odd question to one who doesn't understand my backing lol. But for example, the circles I come from. MMORPG game classes had -no- sway over what role that character fulfilled.Just dictates what weapons that character would be able to wield ICly etc etc etc. So is it legit? I should take it for 100% serial seriousnessmess. Super serial. That their character's are what they depicted the class to be?

I missed this one!

I second what Zagzag says, it's not a requirement but I would HIGHLY recommend doing it. From my own personal experience from many MMORPG's, the more you stray away from what the game intends you to be, the more overly complicated you will be.

You'll be spending more time explaining how you are not OP or how the other person is OP instead of RPing.

Some classes/professions are very odd to RP, such as the Engineer but...you're not forced to play that class, if you feel you can explain how it works IC, go for it.

As for roles, well most classes can play at least two roles, Limu for example can be a healer but she can also be DPS. The classes itself are very in depth and already offer allot of customisation when you bring runes and sigils into the mix, all of which could be RPed easily. So you can still be very unique from other classes and fit in with the lore. You could even add a few odd things, like you sing spells or something like that.

Though, really power level is nothing if your character is boring. Doesn't matter how many cool gadgets they have that can overcome so many situations, or how close they are to solving the issues plaguing Tyria, if they're boring, no one will care.
4004694.jpg
Posted Sat at 03:40 am
Pogs:
+2,820
It's largely down to what style of rp you prefer. If you are interested in mixing PvE and RP then you'll probably want to have your IC and OOC characters match. If you don't do this and want a clear line drawn between IC and OOC, where mobs and events in the game world are ignored from an IC perspective, then there is less reason to do this (though many people still do unless they have a particular reason not to).

the more you stray away from what the game intends you to be, the more overly complicated you will be.

You'll be spending more time explaining how you are not OP or how the other person is OP instead of RPing.
I wouldn't say that not matching the IC and OOC profession of your character has anything to do with power level, and I think you are conflating this with making up custom types of magic that aren't defined in the lore.

For example, suppose you are designing a Necromancer rp character. You decide what skills and capabilities they should have, based on a subset of what Necromancers can do in lore and gameplay and how experienced they are at magic. You might then, for example, decide that you want this Necromancer to wear heavy armour (maybe they have a military background and trained with armour for years), so you decide that it'd be most appropriate to create a Guardian in the game to represent this character, so they can use heavy armour and a staff together.

I don't feel that the above example is really any more "complicated" than an identical character wearing light armour and represented by a Necromancer avatar. Similarly, if there are problems with the character's power level then that comes from how you designed them and what abilities you decided they should have, not by itself from which avatar you decided to use.
Ingjald Firebeard
~The Magpie Mercenaries~
Posted Sat at 09:00 am
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+10
Thanks for your responses people! By what you said there Zagzag it seems that for a majority part the whole platform associated with class/profession etc and weapon availability sounds -very- similar to where I came from. Which will make my transition all the more easy.

I understand your concept too Limu! I really do, ease of process and all that.

I've again and again been approached with this and told that in game character skills that players use are used as a direct reference, used as a framework to see how a class would act in a conflict-related scenario. It's "Lore" as to how characters would work I find that concept easy to digest, just different :) lol

Many thanks for all of the responses and the throwing around of information! I appreciate it!
Posted Sun at 04:10 am · OP
Pog
List
Undo
Page
of 2
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices