Page
of 416

Stupid Lore Questions

4156 replies
Pogs:
+2,842
wrote:
As for the actual height, wiki says:

"They stand on their hind legs and are taller than a human by half of an average human's height"

So just take the average human height, multiply it by 1.5, and you got the average height for a Charr (and you can do the same for the minimum and maximum heights, just multiply the human ones by 1.5 and you've got the equivalents for Charr).
The wiki isn't very reliable on details like this when it's not directly quoting an official source (and it's not always clear whether it is or not). Wiki pages are written by players and many were created long before the game came out based on early screenshots/concept art/fan speculation.

For example, the wiki page for Norn specifically describes them as nine feet tall, while the Charr page describes their height in terms of human height without giving an exact figure. In a hypothetical "who is tallest" fight based purely on the wiki both sides can claim they are right by interpreting the pages differently. In addition, neither page gives any context for their figure. Are they talking about averages? Typical minimum figures? Typical maximum figures? How do the differences in height between male and female characters that is clearly present in game play into this?

To me both of these pages read like fairly rough summaries to give a general idea, not something that was ever intended to give a specific figure or to be used to compare against the statements on other pages.

As for advice on picking a height, there really isn't anything 100% reliable we can use. Unless you're going into extreme territory specifically to get competitive about character size (e.g. max size embiggening tonic male Norn) then it's unlikely that anyone will have a problem with a reasonable sounding figure that makes sense when measured against a human.
Ingjald Firebeard
~The Magpie Mercenaries~
Posted Jan 3, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+1,464
Zagzag wrote:
wrote:
As for the actual height, wiki says:

"They stand on their hind legs and are taller than a human by half of an average human's height"

So just take the average human height, multiply it by 1.5, and you got the average height for a Charr (and you can do the same for the minimum and maximum heights, just multiply the human ones by 1.5 and you've got the equivalents for Charr).
The wiki isn't very reliable on details like this when it's not directly quoting an official source (and it's not always clear whether it is or not). Wiki pages are written by players and many were created long before the game came out based on early screenshots/concept art/fan speculation.

For example, the wiki page for Norn specifically describes them as nine feet tall, while the Charr page describes their height in terms of human height without giving an exact figure. In a hypothetical "who is tallest" fight based purely on the wiki both sides can claim they are right by interpreting the pages differently. In addition, neither page gives any context for their figure. Are they talking about averages? Typical minimum figures? Typical maximum figures? How do the differences in height between male and female characters that is clearly present in game play into this?

To me both of these pages read like fairly rough summaries to give a general idea, not something that was ever intended to give a specific figure or to be used to compare against the statements on other pages.

As for advice on picking a height, there really isn't anything 100% reliable we can use. Unless you're going into extreme territory specifically to get competitive about character size (e.g. max size embiggening tonic male Norn) then it's unlikely that anyone will have a problem with a reasonable sounding figure that makes sense when measured against a human.

Norn figure of the average being nine feet tall comes from eotn manual. I recall another source bit I can't remember exactly what atm.
Posted Jan 4, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+151
When it comes to thing like enchanting, artificing, and magic jewelry making, what are the limits on how powerful an item can be? Is it determined by the materials used? How much does the crafter’s skill factor in? Are there only certain types of enchantments that can be infused into an item?
Posted Jan 24, 18
Pogs:
+2,676
I'm bringing this here because I don't want to derail the thread this is in, but it's also an actual lore question and not a derailment. Also, this isn't disparaging toward the thread or the original poster, however, I do wish some clarification.

On with it then!
wrote:
You're welcome to post places like Garenhoff and Ebonhawke, but just as a heads up, those areas are considered outside of Kryta as a nation and won't be included in this particular census :o

Wait! I can understand Ebonhawke not being included in a census of Kryta, as it happens to be in Ascalon and it would probably be best if Ebonhawke conducted her own census. On the other hand, Queen Jennah is still mentioned as being Queen of Ebonhawke (or regent of Ascalon or something like that). So that part I don't have an issue with at all, because Ebonhawke is not in Kryta so including it in a census of Kryta wouldn't make sense.

However, Garenhoff is in the Kessex Hills. Which is in Kryta. Therefore, doesn't that mean Garenhoff should be included in the census? It's confused me, which is why I've brought up the question here. Is Garenhoff a part of Kryta or is it some border city which is like Lion's Arch sitting on the Krytan/Maguuma border (Bloodtide Coast and Sparkfly Fen are classified as Maguuma Jungle)?

This has actually gotten me curious, because the borders of nations don't always follow the borders of geographical locations. Mostly, but not always.
1513958877_flintlock.jpg
Posted Feb 7, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+1,464
Garenhoff is part of Kryta to my knowledge, it's merely protected more by the elementals instead of a traditional seraph Garrison.
GW2 home server- Sorrow's Furnance Kalavier.1097
The Noble The SurvivorThe Commander

Feedback is great, and helps to improve us. If something seems off in my bios, come poke me and discuss it! If something is awesome, tell me! :)
Posted Feb 7, 18
Pogs:
+1,295
When it comes to thing like enchanting, artificing, and magic jewelry making, what are the limits on how powerful an item can be? Is it determined by the materials used? How much does the crafter’s skill factor in? Are there only certain types of enchantments that can be infused into an item?
Limits are hard to put down and in general how crafting involves an item's quality or strength falls to using the in-game representation a fair amount. There are no specific statements on these things. However there's plenty of interpretations.
Crafting skill is one, as it was stated that items of ascended quality (specifically using Deldrimor steel) could only be crafted by one specific norn master smith, until he taught others how to work it. It thus stands to reason that (like the real world) some materials require a greater amount of skill to work with, no less make something worthwhile with. But the effort spent is well rewarded.

If you want to form an idea the following post is a good read. Working out an idea yourself is, unfortunately, your second-best bet beyond scouring the novels for references that let you do the same thing.
This does only pertain to your question about item power and materials though.
Spoiler: This is not loreShow
The most important ingredients of any roleplayer:
Ambition. Imagination. Dignity. Salt.
Posted Feb 13, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+1,082
Okay, here's my personal views on the enchantments.

Limits are usually measured depending on what are the limits widely accepted by your immediate RP group, be it a group of friends or guild, etc. Do they mind something that could be considered overpowered? Do they enjoy realism, do they prefer a low fantasy or high fantasy approach (and even though GW2 does tend to be closer to high fantasy, different people RP in different ways).

Also, you have to take into account the ingredients, you have to measure how well the materials will actually be affected by the power of the enchantment. If it's not a strong enough material perhaps the strain of the enchantment when said item is used will end up shattering the weapon/armor. And it goes without saying that more durable materials mean they're most probably more expensive or troublesome to find, and further on the more expensive the material the more delicate the enchantment has to be in order not to overpower the material itself.

You also have to judge enchanted items with a bit of common sense.. It is very, very unlikely to make a hammer with an enchantment that can create entire full-blown earthquakes with one slam, it's also very unlikely to make an armor that deflects every weapon, spell and projectile ever. Unlike a person, a piece of armor doesn't have innate magical capabilities, so you can't really apply something that a very skilled and very damn strong Elementalist could do (say create a building-shattering earthquake) to such an item. It would most certainly end up destroying either the item itself, or the user.

Obviously, the more experienced and enchanter, the more powerful an enchantment can be. Perhaps it's a leather armor that is enchanted to be as hard as iron to offer protection. Perhaps it's a heavy metallic armor that enhances the wearer's physical strength by a certain amount. Hell, perhaps it could be an armor that offers some minor regenerative abilities to the wielder (like we see with the Green Knight on the Sylvari story, just not that powerful). I'd just stray from making enchanted armors that make the wielder unbeatable or invulnerable or give them the ability to fly or something farfetched like that.

Additionally, in my eyes enchantments tend to not be permanent. Eventually, depending on how much said item is used, the enchantment will begin to wear off and weaken before just completely being dispelled from the item, and obviously if someone is put under some kind of anti-magic field then the enchantment would be rendered useless until they escape said field.

Eh, what else. Oh, yeah. Enchanted items I'd say are usually used by individuals either not well-trained into magic itself or by those that want to enhance their already good physical fighting skills to be more at par against magical individuals. I just can't see why an Elementalist would order an enchanted item when they can cast such a huge variety of spells that could offer them any boon an enchantment could. Same goes for the rest of the spellcasters, really, so most of the times said enchantments would be more focused towards giving boons regarding the wielder's already existing capabilities, like making a shield that can deflect spells off, or making a sword that can slash through rocks or trees in one clean swoop, etc.

Aaaand I digressed a lot.

So, uh. tl;dr sort of: Limits in general depend on your circle of RP partners. Enchantments are dependent on the enchanter's own skills, the materials used and the already existing skills of the wielder of the enchanted item. Make a very ridiculously powerful enchanted item and either the user or the item itself will end up breaking. Use enchantments to enhance already existing skills for a non-magic user rather than offer completely new and unknown skills to said person, as they probably won't know how to react to it. The stronger the enchantment and the rarer the material used, the more ridiculous the price, so no street-rat with a magical sword (unless it was stolen). And as with pretty much everything magical, try to keep common sense in mind.

All these are personal opinions as we literally have little to no lore about enchanting, so take them with a grain of salt and by no means are they written in any stone or parchment.
Piken Square RPer!
Nezgar Bladeskin | Syriak Scalemane | Ardek Embertail | Njord Ogmundrson | Askold Hjovarson | Qaspiel Zaazenach | Seth Lockhart | Erik Hughes | Carwyn Duskborn | Clionadh Nightborn | Tiarnach Dawnborn | Iorwerth Nightborn | Fearghal Dawnborn | Technomancer Ghiall | Biochemist Slyenn | Magisaboteur Rhigg
Posted Feb 13, 18 · Last edited Feb 13, 18
Page
of 416
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices