Main Forum

New to the GW2RP Scene and Already Facing Technical Difficulties

6 replies
Pogs:
+30
Hello there!

While I'm not new to Guild Wars 2, I am most certainly new to the roleplay scene. I played the MMO back when I started high school and now that I'm a Senior as well as an adult (on paper at least), I have decided to rejoin the game with the added RP twist because I now believe I'm at least capable of properly formatting sentences. And just when I got excited looking into this community, I've already faced a few bumps in the road.

I live in the middle of nowhere so good WiFi is hard to come by. Lately, it's gotten so bad that I can barely even log into the game without disconnecting. So while my family and I wait for a functioning, stable internet provider, I have been using my phone's hotspot with my laptop and you can only imagine how much fun that is. In retrospect, I could probably put off this roleplay thing until I move to the city for college, but that requires patience and I don't know her. At the very least, I want to look into the community and at least establish connections with some groups before I dive in head first.

The best way to do that is probably by introducing myself! I'm a bit of a bibliophile and amateur writer, hence my interest in RP. While I don't have a lot of free time because I'm already taking college classes along with balancing two jobs (I work for a year-round sleepaway camp and a radio station which are both super fun and love to ramble on about), I like to spend my free time playing video games whenever I'm not out and about. I've already made a profile for two characters which I've created out of boredom that you can find here and also here. I saw in a few profiles some links to Tumblr and have done a little digging into that scene which really got me excited because I have an aesthetic blog which you should also check out! Hint: it's in my signature along with my character's blogs. Lastly, I also have a discord and I don't know if that's all the rage here but if you want to add me feel free to pm me!

So if you've gotten this far I assume you're at least a little interested. I'm looking for anyone to set me up with connections to other people and may be interested in showing me the ropes! Preferably, I'd like to join some community guilds before I get into any big RP adventures but I'm really up for anything, to be honest. If you have any tips or tricks to help me fit this game's preferred RP style that'd also be very appreciated. :-)
D E S O L E | G U E R L A I N | L E T T I E R E | P A L A Z Z O | D E S O L E . 3 7 4 0
Posted Oct 9, 18 · OP · Last edited Oct 9, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+229
Benefactor
Hey there! Which type of area were you considering joining for your character? There are a couple of different genres to consider. Some guilds are more action surrounded. Some guild are relatively political. I know some guilds are pretty heavy on the merchant and bar scene. I'd love to point you in the right direction to help you out! Feel free to drop me a line here, or on discord. moosequeen#8655 is my tag. :)
Posted Oct 9, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+30
Hey there! Which type of area were you considering joining for your character? There are a couple of different genres to consider. Some guilds are more action surrounded. Some guild are relatively political. I know some guilds are pretty heavy on the merchant and bar scene. I'd love to point you in the right direction to help you out! Feel free to drop me a line here, or on discord. moosequeen#8655 is my tag. :)
As fun as politically driven guilds sound, I think I should really just start out with an unorganized group that focuses on making connections to allow me to come in and meet some people to create character relationships while also having people out of character to chat with. Once I'm set up with having at least a base of people I know so that I'm comfortable, I'll try my hand at joining a heavier RP guild. Thank you for your help, by the way, your character's profile is beautifully written!
D E S O L E | G U E R L A I N | L E T T I E R E | P A L A Z Z O | D E S O L E . 3 7 4 0
Posted Oct 9, 18 · OP
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+229
Benefactor
Thank you for that! I greatly appreciate it! Even if you don't dive head first into guilds (which I don't blame you because I didn't either at first) then a lot of the people even in those guilds are more than happy to write stories and build connections without you having to submerge. I write with a small handful (even on tumblr) without being in their guild directly. :) Either way, feel free to hit me up if you like! I help manage that political guild and you don't have to be completely in the guild to build relationships and weave stories.
Posted Oct 9, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+30
Thank you for that! I greatly appreciate it! Even if you don't dive head first into guilds (which I don't blame you because I didn't either at first) then a lot of the people even in those guilds are more than happy to write stories and build connections without you having to submerge. I write with a small handful (even on tumblr) without being in their guild directly. :) Either way, feel free to hit me up if you like! I help manage that political guild and you don't have to be completely in the guild to build relationships and weave stories.
I'll be sure to keep that in mind! And thanks again for helping me out, it helps me get a general idea on what to do. <3
Posted Oct 9, 18 · OP
Pogs:
+10
Sounds a bit like you're looking for a hub-RP guild. Not a strict theme, but a way to make connections and garner RP. Right?

I founded a guild that's.. less a guild, more a tool for encouraging RP, and advertising that you're up for it whenever you tag up. You're welcome to join, make connections, and utilize the tag if you like.

Here's a link to the guild's post.

Pretty simple, straightforward. If you'd like an invite, just lemme know.
Posted Oct 12, 18
Pogs:
+30
Sounds a bit like you're looking for a hub-RP guild. Not a strict theme, but a way to make connections and garner RP. Right?

I founded a guild that's.. less a guild, more a tool for encouraging RP, and advertising that you're up for it whenever you tag up. You're welcome to join, make connections, and utilize the tag if you like.

Here's a link to the guild's post.

Pretty simple, straightforward. If you'd like an invite, just lemme know.
I'll look into it, thanks!
Posted Oct 14, 18 · OP
NoticeNotices