Race: Sylvari | Faction: Nightmare Court | Server: Piken Square | Recruitment status: OPEN
"With every drop of blood we draw, every tear we inspire, and every heart we break, we strengthen nightmare's hold on the Dream." - Executioner Eorana
The Nightmare grows stronger with each committed atrocity. And where she grows, so do her Courtiers. From the far reaches of the Shiverpeak Mountains to the countryside villages and isolated farms of Queensdale, and to its dark heart in Calendon Forest - her agents often scattered thinly throughout the lands, yet each band or lone individual striving to further the Nightmares' grasp in their own condemnable ways.
Originally, the Canticle of Thorns was led by a Knight called Cardinalis, the Knight of the Sacrament, and his followers, who were involved in a plot to attack and destroy the grove, and with it the Pale Tree. During a battle with the Caledon Wardancer Kindred and a small army of mercenaries the Nightmare Court plot was foiled causing Cardinalis and Vairin, his second in command, to go into hiding, now Noctaemis, the Baron of Desolation, has claimed Briarthorn Den as his own and operates along with his small band of "Loyal" Courtiers from there.
Who are we?
Canticle of Thorns is a nightmare court roleplaying guild aiming to, with Briarthorn Den and the Gilded Hollow, provide a consistent hub and RP environment for those wanting to get in touch with their inner villain.
With backstabbing, plots, agendas, and intrigues we all strive to further the nightmare in the dream of dreams even amongst ourselves and despite the hierarchy seeming strict and rigid a title only holds as much power as the person it belongs to.
What do we do?
We are not an alt or event based guild. We try to provide an environment where a character can grow consistently - a character concept that shows up once per month will be out of the loop and most of all stagnant. Most of us RP at least every week be it chatting around the watering hole, work to weave plots in groups of conspirators, or head out on large-scale events and missions that are part of our guild-wide plots.
- Absolutely no lore-breaking. If something has been confirmed to not exist in lore then don't do it. Unsure? Ask an officer.
- Create a well rounded, believeable and lore coherent villain. Consider strengths, weaknesses, quirks, mannerisms. If they're interesting and unique, they'll be more fun for others to roleplay with.
- Ask permission before involving others in your nefarious activities. Establish what your victim will and won't allow - explicit violence? Any long lasting injury? Permadeath? Effective communication will prevent any boundaries from being crossed.
- Face the consequences of your evil actions. If you're caught by the wardens/seraph/etc and there is no escape, then accept your arrest and punishment. Discuss with them what will happen next and try to keep screenshots of what is agreed upon.
- No ERP. ERP is heavily frowned upon in CoT. Absolutely no ERP is to take place in public places under any circumstances. Public places include Guild Halls and any other instances which can be accessed by players outside of your party. If you'd be embarassed if your mother walked in on you doing it, it's probably too much.
- Be active. Actively RPing on your Courtier character is a must. Contact an officer explaining why if you need to be gone for an extended period of time otherwise players who have not been with us for a month will be sent an in-game letter and kicked.
Before you join us it is important you are aware that our Roleplay is particularly dark in nature and may consist of (In-Character, of course) physical and psychological torture, violence, gore and bullying.
We allow Characters to join as they see fit, some come to us already a part of the Nightmare Court with a rank and background, while others come to us as dreamers who we will attempt to turn to the Nightmare through torture and mind-games. As a general rule it will be easier to engage us while we are out patrolling the wilds or to first contact one of the officers or guild leader in game: See contact info at the bottom of this page, or by posting a character recruitment thread here. Though you are free to engage us at any time, it is important to remember that Briarthorn Den is under careful guard by elite Nightmare Court Archers, Warriors, Husks and Nightmare Hounds, as well as being laced various booby traps, so a direct approach is ill advised.
You are by no means required to represent Canticle of Thorn outside of Roleplaying with us, however while engaged in Roleplay we ask for members to represent the Guild so we can easily keep track of who is who during larger events, as well as talking in Guild Chat.
We welcome all Nightmare Court characters regardless of if they are mains or alts, however for the sake of character growth and development we at the very least we require you roleplay on your Courtier at least once every two weeks and would prefer members to attend big events, especially the monthly Dark Vigils.
"The main portion of the Nightmare Court holds an apprenticeship system where low-ranking members are made servant to higher-ranking members. Members gain ranks as they become able to spread nightmare to others on their own, where they become a Knight and often take on titles, such as Knight of Decay, to help spread the nightmare. The highest ranks within the Nightmare Court are known as the Retinue, elevated to such a position by the leader and given new ranks: baron, count, countess, duke, and duchess." - Guild Wars 2 Wiki
Since the death of Grand Duchess Faolain at the hands of the Pact Commander, the Canticle of Thorns has changed its structure to reflect these changes though the traditional Nightmare Court structure with lower ranked characters serving under higher ranked characters remains, these In-Character ranks are:
- Grand Duke Noctaemis and Grand Duchess Verruh - The undisputed leaders of the Canticle of Thorns Courtiers.
- The Retinue - The Retinue are the highest ranking members among the Nightmare Court who are well known among Courtiers for their deeds, personally selected and elevated to hold titles by Noctaemis and Verruh the Retinue are among the most widely feared and respected members of the Nightmare Court. We do not recommend creating a character who is already at this rank and try to urge players to start low and work their way up the ranks In-Character. The Retinue in order of rank are as follows:
Duke / Duchess
Count / Earl / Countess
Viscount / Vidame
Baron / Baroness
- Knight - These high ranking members have proven themselves to be able agents of the Nightmare and are given a rank by one of the Retinue or by the Grand Duchess herself after which they may choose a title of their own, they are equally feared and respected by lower ranked Courtiers and take orders only from those of higher rank than themselves.
- Attendant - See below. Attendants are the Squires of the Grand Duke and Duchess.
- Squire - Some Knights may see fit to choose a personal Squire, these Courtiers are trained by and serve under their knight. If another Knight attempts to give an order to a Squire, then that Squire's own superior may intervene, they may not intervene however if given an order by a member of the Retinue.
- Courtier - Members of the Nightmare Court who have proven themselves and are considered to be a fully fledged Nightmare Courtier.
- Apprentice/Initiate - Low ranked Nightmare Courtiers who have only recently been turned to the Nightmare.
- Captive - The lowest ranking members of the Nightmare Court, these are the captive Dreamers who have been captured by the Nightmare Court and are slowly turned to the Nightmare through torture, mind games, and being forced into committing atrocities.
- Slaves - Slaves are the absolute lowest rank, if such a thing could even be considered a rank at all, and are the playthings of any and all of the Nightmare Courtiers in Briarthorn Den, the slaves include any Asura, Charr, Humans and/or Norn who have been captured and brought back to the Den as well as some particular Sylvari who have earned the personal ire of Noctaemis and Verruh.
In order to strengthen the grip of Nightmare over the Dream, three sects, known to the Court as Branches have sprouted from the vines of Briarthorn, and every Courtier below the charge of Squire is ordered to join one of them.
The Branch of Strife - The core army of the Den, specialized in both defense and offense. Those who choose to join it are to be trained physically and mentally and reforged into fierce, disciplined soldiers, the swords and shields of the Den.
The Branch of Renewal - Healing, restoration and construction lie at the heart of this Branch. Whether your Courtier is a mender, a shaper, a builder or a craftsman, here they will have the possibility to hone their abilities, aware that the other face of Destruction is Creation.
The Branch of Knowledge - The military intelligence of the Den. Fine skills and a cunning mind are required, for the Courtiers who embrace the Branch of Knowledge are mainly spies, assassins, traffickers, trackers, saboteurs and scholars. Intel gathering and experimental magic are quite common activities within this Branch.
The Dark Vigil
The Dark Vigil is the monthly public event hosted by the Canticle of Thorns in Briarthorn Den.
The thread for the Dark Vigil event can be found here.
Where can we be found?
Briarthorn Den, Caledon Forest.
In-Character directions to Briarthorn Den, available to all Nightmare Court characters:
Briarthorn Den is our guild HQ and only safe haven both IC and OOC due to hostile NPC Courtiers everywhere else in the world. As such, the Den will be treated as an unassailable fortress and any attempt to attack it or the Courtiers within will be met with extreme and violent IC repercussions. OOC communication is key!
Why are we doing this?
We simply want to create a fitting theme to make our characters grow, and hope that you will join us! As mentioned above we hope to create a Nightmare Court hub where we can boast, socialize, develop our characters and have fun!
Who to contact?
Leader: Verruh (Luna.4268)
OOC and IC Officer: Reithiel / Reithiel Dawnborn (toosixy.7584)
OOC Officer: Rudianis (Altairp.9615)
Roleplay, torture, etc.
When partaking in duels or outright torture, we will always whisper to ask what your limits are. Please be mindful of others and ask permission before physically hurting your fellow players. They might have long-term plans for their characters!
Moderation will be offered for all formal duels and challenges if necessary.
I entered Briarthorn Den, now I'm disguised!
It happens to the best of us. Simply grab an Unbreakable Choir Bell, stand over by the hero point in the far back, use it, and you should be back to your normal self.