Main Forum
Page
of 2

Should You RolePlay in WvW and Why ?

10 replies
Pogs:
+3
Hello fellow Toasties!

I have a few question(s) for our roleplayers on TC because there are a few things I'm wondering about and I was hoping that our roleplayers on TC could help me answer these questions. Posting this here, in the hopes it can reach as many rp'ers as possible.

First question:
I'm wondering what you think about roleplaying in WvW. Please enlight if you think it can work or not and what keeps you from doing RP in WvW if you're not doing it yet?

Second question:
If you're interested in RP'ing in WvW, what do you think that has to change or what do you need to make it possible?

Reason I'm asking is because in the past, there has been attention for RP in WvW for TC. I'm not an active roleplayer so I can't really tell how megaservers are treating everyone, but in my opinion I think RP can be really fun in WvW and you don't have any problems with megaservers crap either.

Thank you in advance :)
Posted Jul 21, 14 · OP · Last edited Jul 21, 14
Pogs:
+1,314
This topic has been hotly debated before in this sub-forum.

I've attended roleplaying events before in WvW and it was embarrassing. I felt that the roleplayers were not on-par with the other, non-RP combatants and that the roleplay itself was distracting.

As a competitive player myself, my goal in WvW is to stay alive and PTFO. This has become increasingly important as Tarnished Coast has consistently maintained a standing in the tier 1 bracket against Blackgate and Jade Quarry. Roaming is dangerous and running with a group requires absolute attention. While I've heard that defending points is a good opportunity to roleplay, its not my cup of tea. I aim to kill other players in the worst way and stomp them with my entire collection of Finishers.

This leads me to my final point: when I enter WvW, I fully expect to be defeated at some point. Being steamrolled by an enemy blob is not something I'm keen on roleplaying out. Do I hospitalize my character for months on end, say it was just a flesh wound, or ignore it all together? For any choice, its "damned if I do, damned if I don't." If I'm going to be defeated while roleplaying, let it be through roleplaying – not 1 vs. Hammertrain Zerg!

That's my opinion.
#HAILHYDRA
Azh_2014-01_GWBrush_Small_zpsb8e8b903.png
Posted Jul 21, 14 · Last edited Jul 22, 14
Pogs:
+61
Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Candles $3,600
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying
Posted Jul 21, 14 · Last edited Feb 10, 15
Pogs:
+1,810
The only reason I will say not to RP in WvW is because it can so easily get you killed. The enemy team will not wait for your to finish your post. If you are contributing to the efforts others are in t he battlefield and keep it in party, I'd say it's perfectly fine if you're willing to accept running from zergs mid post. Defending a place ICly also works out, but not letting people know in teamchat gets people a little mad sometimes.
tumblr_oqxtdeTvgN1u18swpo1_400.png
Posted Jul 21, 14
Pogs:
+8
Hello folks! So I came here to basically ask this very question. I read through this page and the associated thread linked in the comments here also. What is interesting to me is that I too have heard for months that TC wants to get the RP community back into WvW. Yet there are some compelling points on why that would be difficult laid out right here.

From the perspective of the WvW I've talked to, this came up because of a few reasons:
1. We need to defend structures, often without moving for long periods of time
2. TC is a RP server.
3. The WvW community is trying to entire already existing players onto the field

We would need a reason as to why individual characters or storylines are continuing in the field of battle. Honestly, thinking through this from an RP mindset it would be incredibly hard to find a large amount of players willing to do this. War isn't pretty. Camping out in Hills as a "Home base" would likely not bring the most uplifting storyline into the lives of the characters involved.

I guess what I think *might* work is if TC hosted event nights that were RP friendly and rather than it being a permanent part of a player's story it would almost work better as a one off scenario. Treating it as a themed party, alternate universe or even an OOC event. I'll ponder this some more on my end. Definitely looking for feedback here. Thank you!
Posted Aug 7, 14
Pogs:
+8
I RP on my characters a bit in WvW, but it is limited and usually fairly simple and superficial. In mapchat my Norn might refer to players he knows as "heroes holdin' off the enemy" or my asuran discussing his "patented plague form based on toe fungus" after a battle we won. I occasionally have a discussion with a friend while on sentry duty that has RP elements to it.

But the overwhelming priority is winning fights and controlling the map. There are no plots of any kind or other stories being explored. And I am always doing something useful - not standing around and talking except when on sentry duty, during a lull or if I am taking a small break.

There is also often a comic element to it - so people don't seem to mind. Often they don't even notice as they (like myself) are usually in mumble.

My view if you want to incorporate something more involved into your RP - one should construct the story outside wvw and then just do WvW normally. You could also take your WvW experiences into your RP elsewhere. My characters tend to talk about their WvW experiences when RPing in Divinity Reach or elsewhere. When my guardian in cleric's armor talks about "saving the lads from a gruesome death numerous times" - it is because he has actually done it!
Posted Aug 12, 14
Pogs:
+455
I look at this in relatively simple terms:

Do I RP in WVW? No.

Do I find it okay to RP in WVW? If that's your thing.

But I look at it like this - it's fine to be in character while in WVW, but I generally discourage active RPing, plots, and lengthy, non-WVW relevant conversation, because it does take away from the team. However, when I would WVW on my warrior, I considered myself in-character. I acted as he would, spoke as he would, and did it in accordance with being helpful in WVW. It's possible, you just have to be mindful, I guess. I see it pretty much the same way I see RPing in groups - totally fine to be in-character, but I feel that lengthy and irrelevant banter should be left for another time. I consider myself to default to in-character, but I conduct myself as mentioned above, so I tend not to run into issues.
"Why do good people pick the wrong people in love?"
"We accept the love we think we deserve." -Stephen Chbosky.
Always follow your heart.
-Aethos Desiderio
Posted Aug 12, 14
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+91
My very first experience in WvW was 20 minutes of me kinda screaming and panicking as I followed a commander, then needing to take a break for my heartrate to go back to normal. My second experience in WvW was my RP guild setting up in the bay on TCBL to hold a guild meeting. We set up siege, and just camped the place. We were IC the whole time. Some random person ran past and told us not to RP in WvW. The commander then asked in map chat if we were RPing in WvW. We said yes. His response was something along the lines of "Rock on!" And so we did. When Dragonbrand attacked, we called it out. All of the siege we set up helped in the defense. We proved that guy that told us not to RP in WvW wrong and I've been a huge advocate of RP in WvW ever since.

I also think back to TC's famous pirate crew, who were IC everywhere. They were IC in map chat while running with the zerg, they were IC while roaming, they were IC while making call outs. And it. was. AWESOME. They had an odd obsession with the bay, but eh, pirates, what can you do? Plus, I'm not really one to talk. My guild made a habit out of camping the NE tower on TCBL. Which is how I personally recommend to do it. When I go into Divinity's Reach, I see tons of people just kinda.... hanging out somewhere. Sometimes for hours at a time. Whether it's in a tavern or a different location. Which is exactly what our defenders in WvW need to be able to do. Tower/Keep RP really isn't all that different of a dynamic than tavern RP is. You go to the location, hang out with your buddies, talk about what's been going on. The only main difference is that people show up every now and then and you have to shoot them until they go away.
Posted Oct 12, 15
Pogs:
+19
@Phantom! Bad Ass!

Hello! Its Brother Drake Guild Leader of, Chains of Duty, Role Play Guild [RPcd]

For a long time before the mega servers were established my guild did a IC introduction night in WvW. We talked to all the big WvW guilds and they told us Wednesday is a good day! Its between the reset and farming times! So we would go through every town, zones with a advertisement for map (Found out later that a lot of RPers turn map chat off, so its chatter doesn't fill their tell screen. Took me months to figure that out!) told people to meet in a city then we would travel to a borderland or EB! We would do a tutorial IC/OOC elements! When every one understood the basics we would switch into IC and go run depots, then when we had that go take a tower, then go take a fort. When one of your places came under attack we would fall back and defend it! 8/10 Commanders that saw us said *Rock on!* Then a few would be angry. But most commanders were happy because on top of bringing RPers into WvW, we were also teaching the basics of WvW. So, next time you came in just to play you weren't so freaking lost! Also, most if not all of RPcd's events are open to None RPers, as long as they respect the RP that takes place. Now, WvW is full of toxic players, if you think you've met trolls in the PvE. holy crap! WvW will make your physically ill! Best advice! Right click name, Scroll down, Block. No matter what you do, you will always upset some one. Weather its for a legitimate reason, or they just hate to hate, its going to happen!

When Mega Servers happened we switched to Edge, because every one with the right color could come with us! This still allowed us to teach the basics of WvW. But there was no legitimate reason for people to get angry at us! Because how well you did in Edge didn't effect your server aside from the 1k supplies in your borderlands. Every one would be upset because you were ruined the train, or the *Pancake Flip*. Take a place, leave, enemy waits 5 minutes, they take it, you wait 5 minutes, retake it. *Pancake Flip*. I am honestly surprised the servers didn't just wait out side of a keep, 50 feet separating their armies and they would just take turns. So our RP group would come in and we would CONQUER the map. We would take towers, forts, leave siege commanders to set of defense, they would call if they came under attack. There several times when our group took over the WHOLE map. Because the others servers, once they noticed a tower had a defense team that knew what they were doing, decided that it would be faster to just go take another place. Until everyplace they found, had a defense team. Eventually we kicked the other Servers off the map they couldn't do anything. Then the round reset and we did it again! Now, when we first came in, a lot of people were toxic at us, angry, HATE MAIL! So much hate mail! But eventually people just fell in and helped!

Role Play Aspect, how do you ICly explain why you would be here? The mist war is with in Tyrian Lore! You go to major cities and NPC's from the mist war..Mist Heralds promote and advertise the War!

Now, I know a lot of RPers don't incorporate NPC's into their RP for, X,Y,Z.....Example: Player A is living in DR house, a NPC is present and is the actual in-game owner of DR house. Player A chooses to ignore NPC so they may live in DR house. PERFECTLY ACCEPTABLE!

The Devs explain the Mist War with in Lore, I'll try and find the link for it, I think its on Wiki. The Mists are part of the game! Fractals! Heart of the mists! Eternal, Edge. These are all actual places with in Tyria. The human gods using a ship sailed the cosmos and mists found a planet rich with humans, and then sailed to Tyria. Because whats the reason of being a god if no one worships you? (To those of you that didn't know, Humans are not native to Tyria! That's right you are aliens! However you have been here long enough, from a physiology stand point that I don't think it matters any more. And yes! There is a book in the Priory that states the gods found humans on another planet and brought them to Tyria. They say it flowery, poetic term, but its there! So Priory RPers out there! Spread the word! Supposedly you can see the star system in the sky some where in the game.) The Dev's explain that WvW is a dimensional link to a Fractal, or separate world. Any Asurans that play their Personal story, you've seen your alter ego from Zeta dimension! There a shadow, or Doppelganger army (Black Gate) Is attempting to invade our realm through the mists. We are defending our dimension from them. This is Lore, this is the DEV's speaking! And this is not some stand alone secret, there are Heralds in every major city! So its perfectly with in reason for any RPer who plays a military style guild. I.E. Seraph, Blood legion, etc. To receive orders to do a tour in WvW. Perfectly with in reason for a group of adventurers to go WvW, because you can go, make a name for yourself! Be some one better then you are now, Hell make it a prison sentence! You murdered so and so! You are sentenced to three years in the mist war! If you return alive, all charges will be dropped!

Wiki states that a Tyrian day is approximately 90 minutes.... So you could do a rotation there ICly. You have been assigned to the Mist War for one week! So go do....10 hours! Or less! This is of course if you follow the Tyrian day/night Cycle! Especially since the Dev's state Tyria follows RL time for its history.....So many HOLES! Anet! -curls into a ball and weeps, takes a moment to compose himself- So, Maybe a standard Tyrian year is 1,365 days? Semantics! BAM! You have a IC reason to be there! This makes it so you can select a DAY, with in a week, making it a RP event for the whole server....What ever server you hail from. Because lets face it not every one that RP's is from TC.

So, I am sure there will be counter arguments to this, let me say this! A common skill you learn in College debate team...Wooo I'm a geek! Is when you are presenting an argument, you should be able to list 5 things for, and 5 things Against. This is meant to help you prepare for an attack from the other team. Because if you know 5 reasons X works, you know the counter argument to that! So, to any one that counters my argument! Make sure you also place reasons why it could and couldn't work! Example!

Not every one RP's the same, Me and my guild are a great example! Because of our different style, RPing in WvW doesn't even register in our eyes as weird. We just have a hard time doing it, because since the mega servers! We have RPers from every single server in our guild so we cant do it together! I dislike holding events that segregate people.

RPing in WvW will be hard, you have to Type fast, think fast, and pay attention. There will be moments when you are alone for a while, then you will be right in the middle of a conversation and the alarm sounds, to the walls! I know a lot of RPers that LOVE doing detailed posts, they type it out, re read it, type it again. Check spelling, Grammar! Perfectly fine if they do that! Its like reading an interactive novel! They like their stuff being done right! Personal thing, but it takes them.....10 minutes to write three sentences. Again nothing wrong with that. But when Black gate is stabbing you in the face! Not the best time! ((Remember, you can take your mouse and double click any where on the screen aside from chat box, this takes you out of it. So you can flee! Fight! Kill! Then just click back in the chat box and finish! Also, if you press up on your arrow key on your keypad you can scroll through old entries you have said, so if you finally get your tell out, and your friends are 50 miles away, or dead. Just meet up with them, press enter, press up on your arrow key and find your tell, enter. Simple! Why do I have to repeat what I say? Some one will ask, have you ever gone to a party in RL, music! 50 people in a room that should only have 25, talking to your friend, you hear your name and turn, you look back at your friend, you realize they just asked you a question, you didn't hear it. What do you say, *Can you repeat that!* Does this mean you were ignoring them? No, you just didn't hear what they said, now in game you can scroll up through your chat screen, but ICly you don't have a chat screen. :p ))

ICly you can not explain why your character would be there.....You play a Noble men's daughter, you are a bit of a tomboy (This allows you to explore the game) But no where in your right mind would you, or your Father let you go into the mists! So you would have to go OOC!

Server issues, just as my first reason. Say you belong to Black gate, but your guild is with TC. You as a player don't feel comfortable going into WvW, also if people discover this, I have no doubt people would be trolled, and asked to spy for the other party....

Time...... A lot of people have a Life out side of Gw2. They do 10 hour shifts, they have a family, etc, etc. They can only play for....3 hours a night, they do not want to spend it being smashed in the face in WvW, they don't level their character, they don't PvE. There is nothing wrong with this player! If they had more time, they probably would do those things. But they just want to sit down, go to a bar, Play a Character that has a size 2 waist, or a 6 pack. Share a drink with a friend, and talk about nothing! Why! Because its relaxing! IF YOU DO THIS! PROPS TO YOU! DO NOT STOP DOING THIS!

Alright that is....5!
Posted Oct 12, 15
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+19
Wow that was a lot longer then I thought it was! Sorry every one!
Posted Oct 12, 15
Pog
List
Undo
Page
of 2
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices