Recent Threads
Main Forum
Page
of 7

GW2 Build Directory

60 replies
Pogs:
+4,045
So, with the recent discussion about the engineer, and after doing a quick research on GW2RP, I noticed there wasn't any thread related to builds for the game. Being a midly interested PvEr, loving to theorycraft on many games and deeply hating to spend hours searching on Google for a decent website about builds, I thought, why not making one, here, on GW2RP?

The way it's done would be quite simple. Anyone willing to share a build can post below. They can give the name of their build, in what situations it can be used (PvP, WvW, open world PvE, Dungeons, Fractals), and can give a quick description of what it does, or even an in-depth explanation, all up to the poster. Then, for people posting their builds below, I will add a direct link to their post on this thread in this original post, with the name of their author and some details, to avoid to look through pages and pages of posts for people looking for something specific. I suggest using this build editor/generator for an easy access to the traits, gears, runes, etc. Additionally, you can use this other build editor/generator if the first one refuses to work for some reason.

You can use this preset sheet made by myself to post your build, or you can make your own as long as it's easy to read and to go through.

Copy
[size=7][color=#dd9323][b]Build Name[/b][/color][/size] [list] [*] [color=#f3d9b1][b]Build theme (if it has one, not obligatory):[/b][/color] for example, Nurse Engineer for an engineer based on boons and heals, or if the build is related to your character IC and has a specific theme of any sort, a shadowstep thief, a scout ranger, a tank warrior, and so on, imagination peeps! [*] [color=#f3d9b1][b]Class:[/b][/color] Elementalist/Mesmer/Necromancer/Ranger/Thief/Engineer/Guardian/Warrior [*] [color=#f3d9b1][b]Build for:[/b][/color] PvP, WvW, Open World PvE, Dungeons, Fractals, Other [*] [color=#f3d9b1][b]Build Type:[/b][/color] Original (more based on a theme to the detriment of efficiency), Efficient (in your opinion a build that is efficient in what it's supposed to do, be it condition damage, direct damage, critics, boons, etc) [*] [color=#f3d9b1][b]Build Main Damage Source:[/b][/color] Direct Damage/Condition [*] [color=#f3d9b1][b]Build difficulty:[/b][/color] Easy (can be used efficiently on the first trials), Medium (needs some practice), Hard (needs several hours before mastering it completely) [*] [color=#f3d9b1][b]Build Link:[/b][/color] Put a link to a build/editor generator here [*] [color=#f3d9b1][b]Build details:[/b][/color] Here you can give a brief or in-depth explanation of what your build does, what skills to use, what traits you chose and why, skill rotations if there are some, advices when using your build, the pros and cons of that build, basically anything that you would like to state for people who would want to use your build [/list]

It'll look like this once posted:

Build Name

• Build theme (if it has one, not obligatory): for example, Nurse Engineer for an engineer based on boons and heals, or if the build is related to your character IC and has a specific theme of any sort, a shadowstep thief, a scout ranger, a tank warrior, and so on, imagination peeps!
  • Class: Elementalist/Mesmer/Necromancer/Ranger/Thief/Engineer/Guardian/Warrior
  • Build for: PvP, WvW, Open World PvE, Dungeons, Fractals, Other
  • Build Type: Original (more based on a theme to the detriment of efficiency), Efficient (in your opinion a build that is efficient in what it's supposed to do, be it condition damage, direct damage, critics, boons, etc)
  • Build Main Damage Source: Direct Damage/Condition
  • Build difficulty: Easy (can be used efficiently on the first trials), Medium (needs some practice), Hard (needs several hours before mastering it completely)
  • Build Link: Put a link to a build/editor generator here
  • Build details: Here you can give a brief or in-depth explanation of what your build does, what skills to use, what traits you chose and why, skill rotations if there are some, advices when using your build, the pros and cons of that build, basically anything that you would like to state for people who would want to use your build

A little note though, this directory is not necessarly aiming for efficiency, originality is just as much welcomed even if it's not the best a class could provide in a defined domain. So yeah, dunno if people will be interested in this, but I thought it'd be a nice thing to have. Another little note, this thread won't have for purpose to give opinions about other people's builds, it's just a good way to gather all those builds in one place for easier access. If you wish to give an opinion about a build, feel free to create a thread regarding this, or make a post in the official derailing thread by quoting the build you want to discuss so the poster of the said build will be aware of the discussion. Or you can also send a private message to the said poster if needed, up to you, I'm not your mom!

I'll put a list below that I'll fill up over time with people posting their build, sorted by class. Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!

BUILD DIRECTORY

Elementalist

Mesmer

Necromancer

Engineer

Ranger

Thief

Guardian

Revenant

Warrior

Piken Square
Aelius Brightmane | Cailean Angelonia | Evi Velvetpaw | Growl Bladeskin | Kristopher Lockhart | Demolitionist Lhymm | Maelon Amaryllis | Inquisitor Moltenclaw | Bioenhancer Mukhin | Mikael Shineblood | Ichomancer Zhuliss | Sceledrus Irontail | Sulyenn Nightborn | Tilaw Stainsoul | Chronoanalyst Vekk | Vethorn Ulfkelson | Zehim El Khouri
Posted Sep 4, 15 · OP · Last edited May 6, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+4,045
I'll start the ball, I guess!

The Exterminator

• Build theme: Flamethrower Exterminator
  • Class: Engineer
  • Build for: Open World PvE, Dungeons
  • Build Type: Original (more based on a theme to the detriment of efficiency)
  • Build Main Damage Source: Condition
  • Build difficulty: Easy
  • Build Link: Had to use a different build editor, the other one refused to let me do it. Direct link here
  • Build details: I've always been fascinated by those exterminators in the movies like in 28 Weeks Later, getting rid of any threat by literally burning everything. That's the theme of that build, all is based on dealing as much damage with burning stacks as possible, with the Flamethrower kit obviously. Traits are made around this, as well as for elixirs for them to grant stacks of Might on use, increasing direct damage and condition damage. Skill rotation is easy: spam all the elixirs, use the Flamethrower toolbet skill, then use the skill 4 of the pistol, and switch to the flamethrower to place the skill 4 on the ground before simply autoattacking. Rinse and repeat when other spells go off-cooldown. High burning damage guaranteed.
Piken Square
Aelius Brightmane | Cailean Angelonia | Evi Velvetpaw | Growl Bladeskin | Kristopher Lockhart | Demolitionist Lhymm | Maelon Amaryllis | Inquisitor Moltenclaw | Bioenhancer Mukhin | Mikael Shineblood | Ichomancer Zhuliss | Sceledrus Irontail | Sulyenn Nightborn | Tilaw Stainsoul | Chronoanalyst Vekk | Vethorn Ulfkelson | Zehim El Khouri
Posted Sep 4, 15 · OP
Pogs:
+1,924
Excellent thread! I'm a bit of a PvE junkie myself as well, and have a love for builds that step a little out of the norm. I have one that I am particularly happy for. Introducing...

What Do We Say To The God of Death?

• Class: Necromancer
  • Build for: Dungeons, Fractals, and in the near future: raids.
  • Build Type: You. Will. Never. Die. And neither will your teammates! So far, this is the most indestructible build I have ever come across, with team- and self-healing so crazy you could put every barber surgeon in DR out of business. Pair that with tankiness that allows you to be on the front lines where you belong, and you've got yourself a beacon of healing made out of the same stuff as Wolverine's bones. You'll quickly forget that you have a dodge button, because you won't even need it anymore.
  • Build difficulty: Medium-hard. Forget about standing still and going through your rotation. This build is all about position. Position, position, position! You'll have several heals that AoE around you, and you need to be where your healing is most required, at every given time. So you're already juggling balls at this point, but now set those balls on fire, and try to be a tank as well. The GW2 aggro system is a little funky and hard to get a good idea of, which means that most of the time, the enemy won't be attacking you - but it's no big deal, that's where your incredible healing steps in.
  • Build Link: Link
  • Build details: The armor tab in the build manager doesn't seem to be working, so I'll tell you here what you need. Also, this will be a longer text, so I'm not expecting you to put the whole thing on the list, Hystεry. You can just refer to the reply below, for excessive details.

For armor, you need Nomad's (Toughness (main), Healing Power, Vitality) with Superior Runes of Mercy all over it.
    For Weapons, you'll need a dagger, an axe, and a focus. All three have Cleric's (Healing Power (main), Toughness, Power), but I hear there's a way of getting Nomad's weapons as well. Anyway, you'll need Sigil of Water on the axe and dagger, and Sigil of Life on the focus.
    Rings, backpack, and amulet have Cleric's, but accessories have Nomad's. Upgrade with similar buffs if you're going for dungeons, but upgrade with Agony Infusions if you're doing fractals.

Now for the fun stuff! When going out there, there are a few things you need to know. First of all, you are going to fall in love with Death Shroud. Death Shroud is your best friend from now on, hear me? It's basically an extra health bar, and often makes the difference between life and death - no pun intended. You'll want to do everything you can to charge it up as quickly as possible, put yourself in the middle of the fight, and let the enemies chip away at your easily-regainable Death Shroud meter. This is why you have the weapons that you have: dagger, axe, focus. Dagger provides a steady stream of Life Force with the basic attack, and the Siphon Health is a no-brainer. Axe has a decent Life Force generator skill as well (Ghastly Claws), but what you really want axe for, is Unholy Feast. Retaliation can easily be your greatest DMG output, since you'll be rather weak on all other points, when it comes to dishing out hurt.

You're probably thinking: why the focus, and not the warhorn? Because of Reaper's Touch, my friend. Not only does it generate a significant amount of Life Force, but it also throws around Regeneration to your friends. This will be your only way of distributing Regeneration, as all your other heals are either ticks or bursts. Spinal Shivers can also be nice for certain boss encounters, but it really isn't why you're using the focus.

So how do you play this build? Well, as stated above, you need to know your position. Since all of your heals are AoE, you can't afford standing in one place - you gotta move. Second of all, know your heals. You can use Life From Death (Blood Magic trait) as a quick AoE heal with low cooldown (see Speed of Shadows, Soul Reaping trait), by simply going in and out of Death Shroud near your allies. Your most important heal is undoubtedly Life Transfer (Death Shroud skill 4), paired with Transfusion (Blood Magic trait). Not only will this heal up wounded allies, but your revival potential is extreme with this trait and Signet of Undeath. Imagine your group mates are all downed. You use Life Transfer, teleport them to you, and by simply double-clicking Signet of Undeath, you bring ALL of them back into the fight, at the snap of a finger. Your teammates will worship you.

Contrary to what I originally had intended when making this build, don't see yourself as a tank. Don't focus on trying to get aggro, because GW2's aggro system is super weird. Instead, see yourself as a medic that refuses to die - or let their teammates die. The very second a teammate is downed, you drop everything in your hands and rush to them. With Rune of Mercy, they'll be up before they even realized they were down. Also, for some reason, it seems that NPCs prioritize players that are reviving, so simply by reviving, you also generate aggro. Toughness is also a contributor to aggro generation, but the most important factor on aggro, is (you know it): position. Position, position, position.

There's also some stuff about minions, but they are mostly just there to generate some more life steal and transfer conditions away from you. Pair Necromantic Corruption (Death Magic trait) with Plague Signet, and conditions will never be a problem for you or your teammates.

In conclusion: huge asset to team survivability, but forget all about dealing any kind of significant damage. I'm very much open to critique on this build - the more it can be optimized, the better. Now go, fellow necromancer, and be the tank and healer that Anet claimed you couldn't be!
pWcNk.png
Other characters:
Ryqqa, black hat hacker vigilante
Ira Benedict, monkey disciple
Posted Sep 4, 15
Pogs:
+1,592
I'll be contributing here when I feel comfortable sitting up (or bring my laptop to bed)

Alright, now that I'm upright it's time to add some builds!
Fury Warrior

• Build theme (if it has one, not obligatory): Furious destruction of enemies, Braidtail style.
  • Class: Warrior
  • Build for: PvE, Dungeons, Fractals
  • Build Type: Original and Efficient
  • Build Main Damage Source: Direct Damage
  • Build difficulty: Cake-walk easy
  • Build Link: Fury
  • Build details: It's a very standard build that's focused on quick hits, most of which will be criticals. The main weapon set is Sword/Axe and your opening skill combo should be "For Krait Justice" together with Dual Strike. That will kick-start your Fury and let you hit hard. I usually follow up with Whirling Axe to build up Adrenaline, and if it's a big fight, I then enter Rampage without using the adrenaline.
    In smaller fights, I'll burst Flurry and either finish it or interrupt it for just the Immobilize, and then swap to GS for Hundred Blades.
    The main damage output comes from the quick attacks of Sword/Axe though, especially Whirling Axe. When the enemy drops below 50% you should use Final Thrust as often as possible.
    Savage Leap is optional, but great for mobility.

Skills:
    Since the build editor doesn't seem to like skills, I've listed the skills that I use below.

Healing Signet - For sustained healing during all types of combat. Also provides condition mitigation.
    For Krait Justice - For Fury and Might.
    Endure Pain - This is your panic button. I use it to give myself a moment while Healing Signet does its magic.
    Signet of Fury - This is here mainly for the increase to crit-chance, but it also works great for Rampage comboing after using a Burst skill. Don't want to miss out on the +30% after all.
    Rampage - For when shit hits the fan.
Ikata.3750

I've too many characters to even list here..
So here's the names of a few:

Torchclaw Cloudfire
Sheila Braidtail
Shaman Cauldronburn
Kyra Whisperwood
Imus Underboot
Kennis Eveningsong
Posted Sep 4, 15 · Last edited Sep 5, 15
Pogs:
+1,592
Zealous Monk

• Build theme (if it has one, not obligatory): Zealous greatsword wielder designed to purge all enemies in their way.
  • Class: Guardian
  • Build for: PvP, WvW, Open World PvE, Dungeons, Fractals
  • Build Type: Efficient
  • Build Main Damage Source: Direct Damage
  • Build difficulty: Medium (needs some practice)
  • Build Link: Zealotry here
  • Build details: This build will keep you alive if you keep on your toes, but the main deal is that it will let you dish out a lot of damage. In fact, the more damage you dish out, the better this build is at keeping you alive.
    It's easy to use, a bit harder to master.
    To engage an enemy simple use Judge's Intervention to get the ball spinning, followed by Whirling Wrath, and if you really want to burst: Smite Condition and Litany of Wrath. This works especially well if you have a few conditions on you, since it'll boost the damage of Smite Condition.
    Keep in mind though, that every meditation that you use at full health is wasted healing and that the meditations are your main source of healing.
Ikata.3750

I've too many characters to even list here..
So here's the names of a few:

Torchclaw Cloudfire
Sheila Braidtail
Shaman Cauldronburn
Kyra Whisperwood
Imus Underboot
Kennis Eveningsong
Posted Sep 5, 15 · Last edited Sep 5, 15
Pogs:
+4,045
Added to the directory. If you have troubles with that editor, don't hesitate to use this one!
Piken Square
Posted Sep 5, 15 · OP
Pogs:
+703
Have a look at metabattle.com, that's the resource I use, I think the way they lay out the builds is very simple so idiots like me can get to grips with them. ^^
Skritt lover · Yuvan · Bjarni of the Bear's Nose · The Shiny Spoon · The Magpie Mercenaries · The Tyrian Tease · yaghern.1089
Posted Sep 5, 15
Pogs:
+4,045
wrote:
Have a look at metabattle.com, that's the resource I use, I think the way they lay out the builds is very simple so idiots like me can get to grips with them. ^^
Websites specialized in builds are often websites seeking for efficient builds in a specific category however, be it support, damage dealer, tanking, or other. For this thread I was aiming to gather any build anyone would use, not matter if it's actually the best build ever or not. Like themed builds, for example. A Sylvari being the venomous kind IC, and using venoms as a thief. Venoms are far from being really viable, but it's still a funny option. And it's always fun to go off-meta, just to see elitist players cry when I run dungeons I myself opened.
Piken Square
Posted Sep 5, 15 · OP
Pogs:
+703
Yah, and kudos for that! A collection of in-character builds would be super cool to see. I just thought I'd make that resource known because:
wrote:
deeply hating to spend hours searching on Google for a decent website about builds
Skritt lover · Yuvan · Bjarni of the Bear's Nose · The Shiny Spoon · The Magpie Mercenaries · The Tyrian Tease · yaghern.1089
Posted Sep 5, 15
Pogs:
+407
First of all, I am no theorycrafter. I simpy want to share my experience with a build for Revenant I have constructed. I am in love with it - which naturally does not mean that it could not get improved. I am sure that actual theorycrafters will see flaws in the build I propose, but that is completely alright. The point of sharing is also improving.

Now then. Let's move the the build itself. And sorry about the lack of imagination when it comes to the name of the build, I am terrible with names. Especially cool names. But yeah, here it is:

Assassin Herald

Class: Revenant
Build for: sPvP
Build Type: Damage/Support
Build Main Damage Source: Power
Build difficulty: Easy/Medium
Build Link: Link
Build details: Let's start with the downsides of the build. The most important downside is that you have to constantly keep an eye on your cooldowns. And there is quite a lot of them. This immediately brings us to the overwhelming positivte aspects of this build. It profits incredibly from Glint's "auras", as they provide you boons like basically permanent (!) swiftness and stacks of might (for a short period of time and in combination with Shiro I am able to stack them up to 21) etc., but also toughness. The more activated "auras" you have, the more toughness you get. Which is always very handy when you are trying to, say, engage a pesky Pew-Pew Ranger who is doing their... pew-pew while you are on your way to slit their throat. Another great thing about these "auras" is that while you activate them for the first time, they provide you these useful boons. When you activate them for the second time... they change to just as useful offensive/defensive abilities.

You have to take advantage of this and utilize them to your current situation and environment. And if you manage to do this, you can basically turn the tides of battle. If you carefully combine activation of Glint's "auras" + Glint's elite , which also hurts a lot AND knocks-down enemies in front of you with your burst skills, the enemy is in some deep trouble. And imagine if you even get to pull off Shiro's elite. Take into account that Hammer skills in general HIT LIKE A TRUCK, though they are slow, or that also dual-swords skills are now finally worth using them. Yeah. If you do not panic / know what you are doing / or at least get lucky your enemies are basically done for. To put it shortly, when you land a deliberate hit, it means a lot of pain to your opponents.

There is also another wonderul positive side of this build. Glint's auras are also affecting your allies. Basically Glint solves probably the most important issues from previous betas - Revenant had very little to offer in group fights (and also had miserable defense and also performed poorly in damage). Now to have a Revenant in your group means a wonderful opportunity to take advantage of because the class brings so much to the table.

About dual swords. The damage of this weapon set has been improved significantly. Plus the ability No. 3 now finally provides an evade while being perfomed, which is a HUGE improvement. Though I have noticed that the ability still refuses to be executed when the enemy is near an environment obstacle (wall, pillar). Another great thing is that ability No. 4 now seems to be properly blocking incoming attacks (or at least I have not noticed that it would fail to do so). In short, dual swords are now a very good alternative when it comes to choice of weapons.

If you are interested into WvW/EOTM/PvE alternative of this build, here it is. You could change swords for Staff, as it provides a bonus to movement (skill No. 5) and more survivability (skills No. 3 and 5).
Character: Hisako Tayasu
Personal Story: In Exile
The Krytan Commonwealth Manifesto: A Vindication
Posted Sep 5, 15 · Last edited Sep 5, 15
Page
of 7
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices