No users online.
Recent Threads
Main Forum
Page
of 2

Dear Corynne...(an open RP for character advice!)

11 replies
Pogs:
+905
tumblr_nw82gbSuLG1s2h4quo1_540.png

Containing the musings and advice of a Lyssan priestess, Dear Corynne is an open, anonymous, help-seeking tool to better enlighten those who are in need of guidance.

Colossus 14, 1328 AE –

Dear Corynne,

I believe my relationship may be failing, but I know it’s because I’m scared that I’m going to get hurt. The last relationship I was in was hard and emotionally straining. I did everything I could to make her happy and I just couldn’t. However, I met a wonderful woman, we’ve been together over a year now, and I just can’t bring myself to commit any further. She wants to talk about things that happened in my life and there are things I don’t tell people because my childhood into nearly adulthood was terrible as I was coming to terms with my true self. My parents are both dead, and while they wouldn’t approve of my lifestyle now, I’m incredibly happy and don’t want to lose this woman. She is my world.

Please help, my heart is so conflicted.

Girly in Gendarran

————

Well Girly in Gendarran, we are not our parents, and we often have to live life separately from our past, because our future is where everything lies. DO NOT HESITATE TO LOVE DEEPLY. Love deeply and prosper, my dear. Love takes us to many different avenues and this should not ever break your spirit or your stride. It seems like this woman cares for you deeply as well if she’s asking you about your past. It means that she wants a future with you as well. Unfortunately, and there is no gentle way to put this, my sweet soul.

Heartbreak and disappointment are obstacles that every being faces. That is just life.

Some of us are more sensitive of it to others, and because of this, it tends to shatter our spirits a little more.

However, know this. Every time you experience the pain of these obstacles, such as a death or a breakup, or even an absence of someone you care about in your life, you come to a fork in the road.

You can either become bitter and decide not to open your heart again to love, or you can stand straight with your pain and let the ground you walk on sow seeds of love and new experiences.

The more you love and allow yourself to love, the bigger your heart becomes in order to accommodate more love.

Sometimes rejection can be fruitful because it teaches us what to avoid the next time around.

When we fall off the wagon, we just have to brush ourselves off and hop back on. As we dust off our bottoms, we know what to expect, like holding onto the sides a little tighter so the bumps that come don’t throw us off again. In your case, the only way to know her acceptance is to be open and truthful. Don’t sugarcoat anything.

Being true to yourself and to those is the only way to know how to find true happiness and love.

Yours,

Corynne
Posted Oct 14, 15 · OP · Last edited Oct 14, 15
Pogs:
+353
Dear Corynne,
I know this is unconventional, but I need advice please. I'm a sylvari and at 4 years of age, I have more burdens than most my age.I do what I can, but I'm getting tired, and I can't sleep at at night because I worry. I don't know what to do.
Overburdened Fern
47a3446c31d7af27.png
bb4679c58cd0d570.png
ca81720e69e8935e.png
e5eec9aa0946d3cf.png
fabb4e23ec9bdfcd.png
http://www.guildwars2roleplayers.com/forum/m/2737230/viewthread/20134607-tcbg-beth-feywind-permawip-comments-welcome/post/132420751#post_132420751
http://www.guildwars2roleplayers.com/forum/m/2737230/viewthread/30880464-tc-karigan-gyren
http://www.guildwars2roleplayers.com/home/m/2737230/viewthread/31135773-researcher-trixxi/page/1
Posted Oct 14, 15
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+905
Beth Feywind wrote:
Dear Corynne,
I know this is unconventional, but I need advice please. I'm a sylvari and at 4 years of age, I have more burdens than most my age.I do what I can, but I'm getting tired, and I can't sleep at at night because I worry. I don't know what to do.
Overburdened Fern

My dear Overburdened Fern,

Sometimes life hands us more than what we think we can handle. I have experienced that myself, as I'm more than sure everyone on Tyria has been through this situation once or twice.

In your four years, I'm sure you've met great challenges and overcame them. You have made it this far! Sometimes we meet bumps in the road that bring us to anxiety. These are a few simple pointers to help you through.

**BREATHE. - Take ten seconds to take a breath and find your center, your calm, your peace. Anxiety tends to make us panic and has been scientifically proven to shorten our breath. You'll feel calmer just after a few moments.

**ORGANIZE - Take some time to get yourself established. Look at the most serious burdens first, categorize them in your head or journal by severity. You want to start taking care of the worst problem first so your tasks get easier as you handle them. Usually the worst problems are the most dire and require immediate attention so, if you service them right away, you might be able to apply what you learn from this experience with something else that happens.

**REST - All living things need rest. The way to do that is to start a routine, banish anxiety and mental clutter from your mind, and focus solely on sleep. Think about your daily activities. Start putting aside a "wind down time" so your body can start getting acclimated and responds in a timely way. I usually set aside an hour before bed myself by reading a book, writing in a journal, or even drinking a type of non-stimulating tea. These can also help occupy your mind enough to cast doubt and worry and stress away so your mind is at peace enough to enter slumber. When you finally find your bed, do not allow anything from the day to pop up in your mind. Instead, use imagery from the calmer, more enjoyable parts of your adventures to help lull you to sleep. Some soft music helps as well.

Do not let your troubles get in the way of your potential! You still have a long life ahead of you, Overburdened Fern!

Yours,

Corynne
Posted Oct 14, 15 · OP
Pogs:
+348
Deer Corynne,

A scribe was kind enough to assist me in the penning of this missive, as I am afraid that I am not as well-educated as most of those around me wish I was. You are recommended to use the smallest possible words in your reply in order for me to understand them without asking for assistance. Yet again.

Until a little over a year ago, I was not a good man. Due to circumstances which began innocently, I ended up with a large debt and had little to no means of paying it off in anything like a timely manner. In a fit of desperation, I turned to picking the pockets of rich-seeming drunks, and gravitated from there into a crime spree of mugging and banditry which lasted far longer than it should have.

Thankfully, I was caught by the Seraph. Because I made a point of leaving my victims unharmed whenever possible and admitted to my crimes, I was Conscripted into the Seraph and have served for over a year since then, both in Divinity's Reach and the Hirathi Hinterlands.

Over time I've come to admit that there were other, better ways to handle my debts, and while I am in the process of cleaning my slate with the law, the human conscience is a much harsher judge.

Believing I had no other choice helped me cope with what I was doing, and the security blanket of victimhood was stripped from me the day after being apprehended.

I am striving to become a better person. Even the scribe writing this under duress will admit that, as irritating as I can be with all of my questions, I show every sign of wanting to genuinely reform myself. I don't know this is being written, but the same helpful, brilliant, witty, attractive, and romantically available scribe has ears and has heard the talk of how I have, on several occasions, placed the safety and wellbeing of others before myself. Thankfully my capacity to comprehend this missive becomes obfuscated the more the scribe adds multisyllabic combinations of written characters which are assembled to convey concrete or even abstract facts through a nonverbal medium of symbols.

The guilt, however, remains. I do not know how to find in myself the belief that I am better than who I was. I do not know how to take the next step. I cannot let go of my burdens.

My question to you is, will I ever deserve to?

-Guilty as Charged
Posted Oct 18, 15
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+905
((Will respond to this tomorrow!))
Posted Oct 18, 15 · OP
Pogs:
+16
Dear Corynne,

I am a Sylvari that has only been out of the pod for 2 weeks. I have been in Divinity's Reach for most of that time, but there are still so many things about Humans I don't understand!

Why Do their face turn red sometimes?

How do humans court? What is "marriage?"

Why do they say things but don't actually mean it?

And these are just human things! IS there anything I should know about the other races?

Sincerely,
Shaken Sylvari.
Posted Oct 19, 15
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+905
Dear Guilty As Charged,

For those of us who have ever been in the wrong, we know how hard it is to try to make amends once we've made a trespass against others. However, bridges can always be rebuilt, but Divinity's Reach was not built in a day. Little things here and there to show that you are sorry for your transgressions are the very first step in reaching what I like to call "Absolution Through Apology". This is something I encourage all of my patients to follow through with. Sometimes it takes quite a while to earn someone's trust back enough to say that they accept your apology.

However, in your case, I have a feeling things were a little more dire and extreme with you than most people I talk to.

For your version of Absolution Through Apology, I think remaining anonymous and doing things through that medium will help you recover. For instance, you took someone's wallet. If you have a way to locate that person, leave something of equal or more value on their doorstep or window sill. They don't have to know who you are, but if you're able to watch the exchange, that should be enough for you to cope and move on. Not only will it come as a complete surprise to the person you've wronged, the kind gesture will uplift their day, which is an added pleasure to you.

As for joining the Seraph, you are definitely on the road to a great recovery process as you took the first steps and were able to recognize how you believe you can better yourself. You can do a lot of good there as well with Absolution Through Apology as you're giving back to your community.

And to the scribe writing his letter, thank you for giving this man the time, even though it was under duress.

Give him this address so he can see an -actual- therapist:

Zarabeth Nicholaides
319 Jorzan Blvd
Salma District, Divinity's Reach, Kryta

Yours,

Corynne
Posted Oct 19, 15 · OP
Pogs:
+905
wrote:
Dear Corynne,

I am a Sylvari that has only been out of the pod for 2 weeks. I have been in Divinity's Reach for most of that time, but there are still so many things about Humans I don't understand!

Why Do their face turn red sometimes?

How do humans court? What is "marriage?"

Why do they say things but don't actually mean it?

And these are just human things! IS there anything I should know about the other races?

Sincerely,
Shaken Sylvari.

Dear Shaken Sylvari,

Welcome to the world, young one! So many curious questions, so I'll answer them to the best of my abilities.

For some humans, emotion is what turns their face a different color. For others, it could be a health condition. Humans can be some emotionally charged creatures, and emotions like anger or embarrassment can cause a person's face to flush red. For example, say that someone insulted me. I would feel either anger or embarrassment. If it was something rude at random, I would be angry, and my face would turn a bright red. On the other hand, if someone was poking fun at the fact that my dress might've been tucked into my knickers, I'd be red from embarrassment. However, if you see someone trying to cough and they lose the ability to speak, that means they're choking or having a heart attack and need medical assistance immediately.

How do humans court? Well, that's actually a very easy question to answer. When two people are interested in each other, they take little outings called "dates" where they go and spend time together doing something they mutually like. For example, when I was on a date with my loved one, he was very adamant to take me to a restaurant here in the city that I very much love that has old style Elonian cuisine. He did that to please me. Usually dates are just that: pleasure excursions. It's something that humans do to get to know one another better and enjoy the time they spend together.

As for marriage, marriage is a union between two people that, by Kryta law and/or rites of whatever religion they follow, binds them for life. Many people choose marriage to have children so that unified bond can be an example to their children. Some married couples never have children. There are also many couples though that never get married but still become that wonderful example for their children because their love is so strong. There are also same-sex couples who marry and, again, are an incredibly amazing example for their children (if they opt for them); some also never get married, but they live happy lives together bonded in love.

You asked me why some humans say things they don't mean. Well, there are a few reasons for this. They are either speaking in sarcasm, similes and metaphors, or they are lying. Anytime someone says something they don't mean, it's not really a good thing. Sarcasm is saying something in an opposite and mean way in order to hurt someone's feelings. Similes and metaphors are usually language tools to compare something to another. Lying...well, most people know what lying is, but just in case you don't, lying is something that is done to deceive people openly and without remorse in order to give false hope or false agenda to someone.

As for other races, while your first experience with humans seems rather whirlwind, I think that you'll see some of these things in all racial societies, which doesn't exclude: Charr, Norn, Asura, or Sylvari. You just have to interact with people to understand such things a little better, I always find that observation is the most powerful tool to help with decision making for a lot of things.

If you ever want to speak in person, I know a wonderful therapist that can help you with such questions. You'll find her at:

Zarabeth Nicholaides
319 Jorzan Blvd
Salma District, Divinity's Reach, Kryta

Find her there and make yourself an appointment!

Yours,

Corynne

Posted Oct 19, 15 · OP
Pogs:
+152
Dear Corynne,

I hope you have time to read my letter and respond, as I'm going through a rough time right now. Before I get to my problem, I'd like to give you a little backstory. You see, I am a Charr, raised by humans, and living in Divinity's Reach. My true parents... I believe they died, but I'm not entirely sure what happened to them. All I know was that I was kidnapped from my home in Lion's Arch, and my kidnapper was killed by Lionguard. One of the captains, a human, decided to take me in. Since then a lot has happened, but the important things is that we moved to Divinity's Reach, and both of my adoptive parents have passed away recently.

I love Divinity. Although Lion's Arch was my original home, I can't help but feel more attached to this grand city. I want to do something to give back to it, to help its people, to make a difference in this city. My dream was to perhaps become an ambassador for the ministry. However... I have ran into... issues due to my race. I have been informed that I can not work in the ministry since Charr are still technically at war with humans. Despite this, I tried finding other positions in the ministry I could perhaps work in. The best I could manage is work as a scribe... I'm sorry, but compared to the other positions, it feels so meaningless. Not only that, but again, because of my race, I have no opportunity to advance to higher positions. I'd be stuck writing letters all my life.

I'm sorry for making such a long letter, and I'm sorry if I'm asking too much, but I don't know what to do. I want to do something for my city, but it's hard to do when I'm stuck with such a poor option. I know I shouldn't be picky with my options, but I want to do something meaningful. I want to do some that'll make a difference. Please, if you have any advice, please please please let me know. I'd appreciate any advice you can give.

Thank you for your help,
A Charr Among Humans
Posted Nov 16, 15
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+905
Adventure_Drake wrote:
Dear Corynne,

I hope you have time to read my letter and respond, as I'm going through a rough time right now. Before I get to my problem, I'd like to give you a little backstory. You see, I am a Charr, raised by humans, and living in Divinity's Reach. My true parents... I believe they died, but I'm not entirely sure what happened to them. All I know was that I was kidnapped from my home in Lion's Arch, and my kidnapper was killed by Lionguard. One of the captains, a human, decided to take me in. Since then a lot has happened, but the important things is that we moved to Divinity's Reach, and both of my adoptive parents have passed away recently.

I love Divinity. Although Lion's Arch was my original home, I can't help but feel more attached to this grand city. I want to do something to give back to it, to help its people, to make a difference in this city. My dream was to perhaps become an ambassador for the ministry. However... I have ran into... issues due to my race. I have been informed that I can not work in the ministry since Charr are still technically at war with humans. Despite this, I tried finding other positions in the ministry I could perhaps work in. The best I could manage is work as a scribe... I'm sorry, but compared to the other positions, it feels so meaningless. Not only that, but again, because of my race, I have no opportunity to advance to higher positions. I'd be stuck writing letters all my life.

I'm sorry for making such a long letter, and I'm sorry if I'm asking too much, but I don't know what to do. I want to do something for my city, but it's hard to do when I'm stuck with such a poor option. I know I shouldn't be picky with my options, but I want to do something meaningful. I want to do some that'll make a difference. Please, if you have any advice, please please please let me know. I'd appreciate any advice you can give.

Thank you for your help,
A Charr Among Humans

My dear friend A Charr Among Humans:

First of all, thank you for having the courage to write this letter to me. I will openly tell you that, while some still have a grudge against your "original" race, they are not at war with me. They are always welcome to me because, had it actually not been for a Charr engineer, the father of a friend of mine would not be alive to sail the Tyrian seas again.

Let's begin with your origin and where you are now. You were most blessed to have the loving influences in your life that you did, and frankly, it is their loving guidance that has helped you get this far. I do give you my condolences for your loss, death is never something that is easy for us to handle. Because of that guidance, I wouldn't give up on your dreams. We have a lot of people in Kryta who do understandably hold a grudge, but most just want peace. I am one of those and actually do have Charr acquaintances that I do call friend. Do not stop trying to pursue what it is you wish to aspire to.

With that in mind, the Ministry is one organization that is very set in its ways and I see the difficulty in your position.

However, that is not to say that your dealings with them will stop just because they declined your offer to aid them based on the fact that you bear fur and not skin.

I have found that one way to prove your worth is to rise above that which oppresses you.

So the Ministry turned you down...but that doesn't mean that your political career should end here.

Have you ever thought of becoming a diplomat?

In these times, especially with everything that has come upon us as Tyrian beings with the dragons, we need more than ever for people to step up and create that patchwork quilt of peace between our races. Your attitude seems something so fitting for one to fill that role, and you, my friend, may be it.

You should consider that as a means to continue your work for the betterment of all.

Please be well, and I hope that we may meet one day.

All my best,

Corynne
Posted Nov 16, 15 · OP · Last edited Nov 16, 15
Page
of 2
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices