No users online.
Recent Threads
Main Forum
Page
of 3

Welcome to Tyria! (A beginner's guide for getting into RP in GW2.)

27 replies
Pogs:
+1,181
Every day I see the same questions pop up under new thread titles, where people who are just now getting into RP in GW2 need to know some of the basics for finding RP and how the community works. This thread will try to answer those common questions and give some other useful information about the community and how we handle certain parts of our RP.

I'll try to avoid getting into specific lore about Tyria's races, classes, organizations, etc. There are plenty of threads on this amazing site for anything you're looking for in that regard. What I'm focusing on here is how to get into the community, and some general community-wide traditions and unspoken (or in some cases, loudly spoken) agreements.

We'll start with what I think is the most common question, and go from there.

Servers and Megaservers. How do they work?
Spoiler: The wall of textShow

RP Etiquette and Basics

RP Combat

Tips About the World, and Community Consensus

GW2's Chat System and How We Use It.

Free Accounts and Their Restrictions

Finding RP

My handle is Lillae.4796, and I'm an NA player. Feel free to send me a message here or in-game. I'm always willing to help people out.
~~~Kai's Characters~~~
Alexykai (Kai) | Tumblr
Kefira Vega
Lilyannah Riordan | Tumblr
Jester the Plush | Tumblr
Krynna Presper-Stormcloud | Tumblr
Neyanna Essendar
Emuishyre Essendar
Viranya Essendar
Cassiellah Griffin
Teirwyn
Posted May 4, 16 · OP · Last edited Jul 29, 16
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+1,286
This thread rustled my jimmies profusely. 10/10, would rustle again.
Posted May 4, 16
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+750
Excellent thread! Enjoy a support bump for the cause.
Ashen Chapter [TACH]

TyrusVE.8742
Posted May 4, 16
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+1
This is exactly what I needed. Thank you very much!
Noob by nature.
Posted May 4, 16
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+176
Someone should sticky this guide. I've already been back to reread it three times today and would hate for it to get lost. *Bookmarks page for future reference*
Posted May 4, 16
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+1,511
wrote:

megaguild's recommended IP address. (I know that TCRP recommends an IP, I'm not sure about RP.) If the IPs match, you (or your friend) are in the shard that has been agreed upon as the current RP shard, and can taxi people through a party into that shard.

That's all there is to finding RP. TL;DR: There will always be a chance of experiencing 'empty shard syndrome', you just have to know someone who's in the shard you want to be in, and use them to hop to that shard.[/spoiler]

No lore-breaking.
In a world so vaguely-defined as Tyria, it's hard to follow the rules of the universe. There are pretty obvious examples of breaking lore (My name is Slaps McGee and I'm the king of Kryta.) but generally if you're shaky on a concept and think that you might be outside of lore, ask the players around you. Usually, the community will be glad to let you know how they feel about your idea in relation to lore.

On the flip side, if you see someone who you think is breaking lore, be polite. Firing off a profanity-ridden whisper at someone for doing something you think breaks lore is more likely to make them feel awful and not want to RP at all, than it is to teach them how to accomplish the same idea within the confines of lore. And you never know if they have a completely lore-friendly reason for doing what they're doing, until you ask politely, "I'm not sure I understand what you're doing or how you're doing it."

Tyria: High-magic, or not?
This is something people have a ton of debates about. With Tyria's more medieval weaponry and armor styles, some people slip into the idea that magic is rare in the world and people should not utilize it for everyday activities.

Other people see player-character abilities as a rule set for how magic works in Tyria, and they disagree with anyone who breaks those "rules".

Still others look at all the technology that Tyrians have available, how they gained that technology, and what they can do with it, as a guideline and an inspiration for how much magic is in the world and how their character reacts to it.

If I may add two things. On the first bit, there is a wonderful wiki. go into it for Gw2 and Gw1 if you (the new player) is curious about something but unsure how it works.

On the second, Yes... this is a very highly contested subject and I can personally attest to it. Good baseline it seems is "Everybody has the potential." Whether they use it or not is up to the player.

Good writeup for the bits I read overall it seems, I liked the bit about money as well!
GW2 home server- Sorrow's Furnance Kalavier.1097
The Noble The SurvivorThe Commander

Feedback is great, and helps to improve us. If something seems off in my bios, come poke me and discuss it! If something is awesome, tell me! :)
Posted May 4, 16
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+1,181
I'm gonna add a link to the wikis in a moment, and a bit more about chat too. Thank you guys for the feedback!

Update: I added the wiki links in the tips section. Now on to some more chat information.
Updated update: I'm adding a short glossary at the start of the RP etiquette section. Currently it only defines the terms IC and OOC. Definitely feel free to suggest other terms which might be confusing for new RPers.
~~~Kai's Characters~~~
Alexykai (Kai) | Tumblr
Kefira Vega
Neyanna Essendar
Emuishyre Essendar
Viranya Essendar
Cassiellah Griffin
Teirwyn
Posted May 4, 16 · OP · Last edited May 4, 16
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+1,181
Update the Third: I put in GM/DM under the short glossary in the RP etiquette and basics section, and I added a sparkly new section about GW2's chat system!
~~~Kai's Characters~~~
Alexykai (Kai) | Tumblr
Kefira Vega
Neyanna Essendar
Emuishyre Essendar
Viranya Essendar
Cassiellah Griffin
Teirwyn
Posted May 4, 16 · OP
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+1,511
If this is a guide for new players/in general, I'd include a little bit about the difference between Say channel and emote channel. Namely, the range that emote channel reaches since a new player may not know just how far their emote

Some people might not know their emotes are reaching the other side of the district in DR for example, or get confused by seeing emotes by people they can't even see nearby. :)
GW2 home server- Sorrow's Furnance Kalavier.1097
The Noble The SurvivorThe Commander

Feedback is great, and helps to improve us. If something seems off in my bios, come poke me and discuss it! If something is awesome, tell me! :)
Posted May 5, 16
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+2,911
I'd suggest including the relevant information about F2P account restrictions and how it may impact roleplay. Many new roleplayers are likely to be using F2P accounts, and those who aren't may still find it useful to know for when they run into F2Pers.
Ingjald Firebeard
~The Magpie Mercenaries~
Posted May 5, 16
Pog
List
Undo
Page
of 3
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices