Recent Threads
Main Forum
Page
of 3

The Tyrian Weather Project

21 replies
Pogs:
+31
So. Not sure if anyone else did this before, but I kept thinking to myself "Damn, why didn't Anet give us some more dynamic weather effects? And wouldn't it be cool if we could have a tool that avoids someone roleplaying pouring rain and someone else being smoldered by the sun?"
I did some searches, I did some tests, and this is a first little result I had with my test.

http://tyrianweather.blogspot.it/2016/08/blog-post.html

The working is easy enough, I found a widget that lets you change the name on top (so I can add the locations in Tyria instead of 'weather london') and I can add a lot of details to it too - wind, wind direction, pressure, the works.

Now, the only trouble is, I'll need to find good matches in the real world for the Tyrian locs. I used Rome for DR, someplaceneartheseainfloridaIdon'tknowwhich for LA.

Lemme know what you think!

EDIT 1:

Ok, since I had some more free time I tried to at least cover all the major cities and made some changes on the two that I posted up. I'll give here a list of the locations I used and why, suggestions are absolutely welcome!

Divinity's Reach and Shaemoor - Trieste (It's on the northern side, and I thought I'd use northeastern italian climate. It seems to fit.)
Lion's Arch and Cornucopian Fields - Malibu (Being a coastal city on the ocean, I thought it'd apply nicely.)
The Grove and Astorea - Cambodia, don't remember the name of the place. (Jungle enviroment.)
Rata Sum and Soren Draa - India (Same as The Grove and Astorea, I tried to find a jungle climate area)
The Black Citadel and Smokestead - Nevada (Ascalon gives a very strong nevada or big, rocky desert vibe to me.)
Hoelbrak - Greenland (same as cambodia I don't remember the exact name. Had to find somewhere cold enough but not -TOO- cold. That's for the areas further north.)
Southsun Beach Resort - Nadi, in the Fiji. (Come on, who doesn't want to go get a vacation in the Fiji.)

Again, feel free to contact me/suggest/leave comments, ideas, etc. :3

EDIT 2

The project is, for the most part, completed. Some areas might need some ironing out, some stuff might be revisited for formatting and 'cuteness' reasons, I might add some flavour text if people would like that, but the mapping and 'matching' is done.
Now, if you click on the linked page and on the "A look at -" links, you'll find every map except one (BSF, for obvious reasons) matched out with different weatherzones. Yes, seems like thunderstorms are in fashion lately.

If anyone thinks of ways to improve on this, tell meh! <3 Thanks to ya all!
Posted Aug 28, 16 · OP · Last edited Sep 1, 16
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+611
I would say Ascalon is more like an African savanna, thought not as hot. Maybe north american plains. That just my opinion though.
mmn18CS.png
Posted Aug 28, 16
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+31
Will give that a look! I can see your point! I will update the areas as I work on it :3 Thanks! \o/
Posted Aug 28, 16 · OP
Pogs:
+4,043
I'd argue that Hoelbrak and the surroundings seem to be more similar to Canada and its northern parts, considering the mountains but also the greenery when going south.

Also, Nevada is mostly a desertic, dry area, while Ascalon seems to still have forests and grass, only scorched due to what happened there. I'd see Ascalon more like the Great Plains in the central area of the US. Dry Top for example would be more Nevada/Africa related.
Piken Square
Aelius Brightmane | Cailean Angelonia | Evi Velvetpaw | Growl Bladeskin | Kristopher Lockhart | Demolitionist Lhymm | Maelon Amaryllis | Inquisitor Moltenclaw | Bioenhancer Mukhin | Mikael Shineblood | Ichomancer Zhuliss | Sceledrus Irontail | Sulyenn Nightborn | Tilaw Stainsoul | Chronoanalyst Vekk | Vethorn Ulfkelson | Zehim El Khouri
Posted Aug 28, 16
Pog
List
Undo
Many of the zones should be their own area, because some are supposed to be very far away, far enough for the climate to change.
Posted Aug 28, 16
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+31
Yeh, I'm checking the various locations I can use for Ascalon.
And in the end of the project, I'll try to work zone by zone, even with some having two or more different climates depending on the size of the region :3 I just 'bundled' in the main cities and surrounding areas since it seemed to be fitting, like with Shaemoor, it's basically right out of DR.

And ooooh! Canada might actually work really nice for Hoelbrak and shiverpeaks. I like the idea.

EDIT: Ok, Canada sounds good! Changed Hoelbrak to Canada, Nunavut Region - Craig Harbour to be precise! Working on Black Citadel now.
Posted Aug 28, 16 · OP · Last edited Aug 28, 16
Pogs:
+31
Right. Took into consideration a lot of factors, especially what Ascalon was before the Searing. What if we use southern mediterranean areas? As you guys pointed out, Ascalon was once a much different place that then got borked up hard by magic, so the whole area would still try to recover from the Searing but with almost the same weather conditions. Somewhere like the Canaries?
Posted Aug 29, 16 · OP
Pogs:
+31
Ok, little update. (Yes, the formatting will be settled as well, and there will be direct links to the various regions from the main page).
This is a little insight of how I'm trying to make the detailed, region-by-region pages work. I'm almost done with Kryta, I've used mainly north america and italy as areas.

Krytan Region Weather

Lemme know what you think, as always :3
Posted Aug 30, 16 · OP
Pogs:
+40
Ascalon would be a rather tricky one. back before the searing, I think the climate would more closely resemble central europe, however the place got pretty much burnt down to the ground, so the climate in there shouldn't really be a desert or savanna climate, even if it looks like one. ofcourse the sandy plains have it's influence on it, but it wouldn't be too hot. for a summer I'd say 20 to 25 or 30 degrees Celsius.
Posted Aug 30, 16
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+31
Yeah, I kinda got myself a bit too carried away by the Ascalon of today! I'll take a look at a good location! Thanks :3
Posted Aug 30, 16 · OP
Page
of 3
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices