Recent Threads
Main Forum

Probing for Interest

9 replies
Pogs:
+4
o/ Hullo everyone! I've been thinking of trying to get a WvW Rp guild set up on the TC server. But I would like to see if I would be able to garner some kind of interest in it from you lovely folks.

I've been trying to read up on some lore about the mist wars and stuff so that I would be able to attempt to pull this off. This idea I have been fostering is basically the guild would be militaristic and feels as the world fights the dragons and their internal problems, the guild is focusing on just keeping the mists secure and enemies at bay (defence/sentry work/scouts in wvw) until the world can devote more resources to helping.

Some things I thought about are complaints of how rp'rs would help in WvW. Well with how PPT works and such, having havoc groups or even smaller can actually contribute a lot! By flipping camps we deny enemy servers the points of holding such camp as well as each point for the yak reaching its destination (though small, that stuff adds up!). By papering towers we are lowering the points the enemy is able to garner. Then the group would easily be able to rp within our allied towers and such. While in there, siege set up or 'ticking' siege can happen, not to mention performing the honorable job of being a sentry. A group of 2 or 3 can truly make a difference within a defended objective, or at the very least make the enemy work hard for it. This can enable time buying where map commanders or other large groups could come to help! Or at best the enemy will leave the objective entirely. By holding our objectives we are securing score the server.

From my understanding of reading the lore of the mist wars is that we are basically fighting other versions of Tyria. And that we don't actually die within the mists, but can still suffer mentally.(?) (please correct me if I'm wrong!). But with this WvW update going out, the TC community is expecting a large influx of people coming in to try things out. So most are going to be doing things to help retain some of this influx and show others why WvW'ers love the gamemode. One of the things that made me stay on the TC server was jumping on years ago and watching role players in the towers and camps around the maps. Though that is gone, or I haven't seen much of it, I would love to be able to bring something like that back!
Posted Jun 4, 17 · OP
Pogs:
+2,919
wrote:
And that we don't actually die within the mists, but can still suffer mentally.(?) (please correct me if I'm wrong!).
The lore surrounding the Mists War is very underdeveloped. There really isn't anything we know absolutely for certain except that it exists and people are recruiting for it. One of the biggest unanswered questions is this one that you mention, whether you can die permanently or whether it functions more as it does in the game mechanics.

Because of this anyone who wants to rp it is pretty much forced to pick a stance that they're going to adhere to within their own group, since there's no way to keep a crucial detail like this vague. Personally (not that this actually matters to you in the slightest, I don't even play on the same region for a start) I've always rped death or injury in the Mists as being permanent, and I know there are others who do the same (there was some discussion about this in another thread recently), so you're definitely going to find differing opinions within the playerbase on this topic.
Ingjald Firebeard
~The Magpie Mercenaries~
Posted Jun 4, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+8
About the best I've ever been able to come up with is offering a friendly person for Roleplayers to run with when trying out WvW. There are some pretty difficult decisions surrounding lore and characters that Zagzag brings up in the response above mine. Alternate realities, clones, resurrection due to the Gods, all of those might be viable reasons? I'd certainly be willing to explore this with you. I know we have core WvW people who also role play on the server, so there is some interest.
Posted Jun 4, 17
Pogs:
+91
Like Zigzag said, the lore for the Mists is very underdeveloped. Anet pretty much just said "It's the Mists!!!" and.... nothing else. However, I've always been fond of Vexx's Theory. I'm paraphrasing from memory, but it basically stated that the dragons were sucking the energy out of Tyria so Balthazar set up the Mist Wars. Each camp/tower/keep is a conduit of energy for collection for whichever version of Tyria (the different servers) happens to hold it. The energy then reflects back into that version of Tyria to assist it with the fight against the dragons (the PvE bonuses). Since Balthazar's all about war, it's sort of a survival of the fittest scenario.

As far as RPing in WvW goes, I've always been heavily in favor of as many people RPing in WvW as possible. Sentrying is ideal for it, and as you said, 2-3 people can put up a pretty impressive defense with proper defensive siege placement. 5 can even hold off 50. I consider my guides to be public domain to anyone on TC, so I'd be more than happy to give you a copy of my Alpine defensive siege placements and my EB dynamic sentrying system to help out with this.

As far as how people would react to RPing in WvW, I'm not going to lie. There's always going to be a couple of people here and there who make some juvenile comments, but the best way to deal with them is to make them eat crow. Most people, however, will be pretty welcoming. Back around launch, TC had a guild The Shipwrecked Pirates. They were IC *everywhere*, and it was awesome. Their captain was a commander, and a member of the war council, and was IC for all of that too. They had an odd fondness for the Bay, though. Either way, they've part of TC's lore, along with events such as the Yak Parade. Also, Currently, Penny Quinn and BUH have been making a pretty good name for themselves in WvW as a master (pink) ninja team, and I originally met her ICly a year or two ago.

Having spent countless hours doing exactly what you're proposing, I can say that it would be a tremendous benefit our WvW efforts. One of TC's biggest needs at the moment, if not the biggest, is dedicated sentries and people to help manage the back lines. And if you can bring a few people to guard a tower and RP in there, that takes a lot of pressure off of the commanders as well. Knowing that one of our priority areas is being watched, and that those watching it can fend off most threats, gives us a lot more wiggle room to work with. The more of our priority areas that have groups taking care of them, the stronger and more effective we are overall. I've always said that RPers are TC's secret weapon in WvW, something we have that other servers don't. Right now, TC's trying to get back to its roots, and teams such as this is a big part of what made us so effective in the past. I've been seeing a lot of RP guild tags since I've been back, and even more since the patch came out. So this would be the perfect time for you to start this up. If you'd like, I can even take a couple days to show you everything I know. Send me a whisper or mail in game if you're interested. My character's name is Phantom The Aspect.
Posted Jun 9, 17 · Last edited Jun 9, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+1,554
I just want to chime in and dispel a lore misconception.

No

If you die in the mistwar you die full stop.The idea that you do not die in the mist war is a completely made up fan-theory with no actual evidence other then. "Well the npcs don't mentio ndeath. =x"..They're porganagists and recuritors, of course they're gonna gloss over the bad parts. If you die ANYWHERE in the mists, you die full stop. It's the same way that deaths in the underworld fed Dhumm, if people din't die in the mists, then how could they feed dhuum?

Arenanet went into vivd detail of how the mists work in GW1, read the gw1 wiki, read the articales about the mists. watch let's plays of the underworld. Don't declare something undefined just because it's not spelt out in big giant red letters. Do a little digging.

Also the Down/defeated mechanic -isn't- Death. It's ..downed and defeated. It's specifically called that and not Dying/dead because Arena-net realised just how much of a plot hole it was to have the player character die so often and with resurrection magic being tossed around willy-nilly while NPCS stayed dead. So when you're defeated.. no you're not dead.. your unconsios or close to it. But not dead.

Please, have mercy on the poor devs and people that read.

Stop calling the defeated state death.
Gametag: RobinTair.1806

Truu: Pact soldier turned merc
Diathi: Mender, Gardener, Troublemaker.
Laossi: Pastel-hued pacifist

Posted Jun 10, 17 · Last edited Jun 10, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+8
Woah! Nice. Thank you for the information and correction. It helps in knowing how to get people into WvW from the game and lore perspective. Seeing it from the perspective of energy moving back and forth in a more cosmic push/pull helps my brain, if I'm interpreting that correctly. I'm an avid PVP person and I love RP, it just hasn't been my focus in *this* game. Partly this thread is to let people know that there are those of us out there who encourage and enjoy having RP minded people in groups.
Posted Jun 10, 17
Pogs:
+2,919
The theory of the Mists War being about energy is a little dubious at this point in the story, where the world being too full of magical energy is a fairly significant problem that has yet to be solved, and fighting over even more magic could just make things worse. Supposedly resources of some kind are involved, though.

I'd say that trying to create an IC justification for the Power of the Mists buffs (which incidentally have been removed from the game and don't seem to exist any more) might be taking things a bit too far into game mechanics territory.
Ingjald Firebeard
~The Magpie Mercenaries~
Posted Jun 10, 17
Pogs:
+4
Thank you everyone for the input and corrections! I really appreciate it :).
wrote:
Like Zigzag said, the lore for the Mists is very underdeveloped. Anet pretty much just said "It's the Mists!!!" and.... nothing else. However, I've always been fond of Vexx's Theory. I'm paraphrasing from memory, but it basically stated that the dragons were sucking the energy out of Tyria so Balthazar set up the Mist Wars. Each camp/tower/keep is a conduit of energy for collection for whichever version of Tyria (the different servers) happens to hold it. The energy then reflects back into that version of Tyria to assist it with the fight against the dragons (the PvE bonuses). Since Balthazar's all about war, it's sort of a survival of the fittest scenario.
(Hai phantom I'm your biggest fan o/ ) I've never heard of this before but I love it! I'll have to definitely tell my guild mates about this as well to see what they say. Also thank you very much for offering to help! I actually use your guides on the other TC website a lot when I'm in towers and keeps!
wrote:
Also the Down/defeated mechanic -isn't- Death. It's ..downed and defeated. It's specifically called that and not Dying/dead because Arena-net realised just how much of a plot hole it was to have the player character die so often and with resurrection magic being tossed around willy-nilly while NPCS stayed dead. So when you're defeated.. no you're not dead.. your unconsios or close to it. But not dead.

Please, have mercy on the poor devs and people that read.

Stop calling the defeated state death.
Also thank you for this too! I've never role played on gw2 (or payed much attention to the defeated state) so I had always assumed defeated state was essentially death. This practically solves my only issue with rping in WvW! Thank you very much friend :)
Posted Jun 11, 17 · OP
Pogs:
+91
I did some searching, and managed to find this: http://nysted.hafnet.dk/images/PikenSquareMemorial.pdf

If you go to page 3, Vexx gives a general overview of the theory. After a bit more digging, I managed to find the full explanation here: http://www.guildwars2roleplayers.com/home/m/2737230/viewthread/3506261-proxy-blades-rp-wvw-pve/post/19926492#p19926492
Posted Jun 13, 17
Cap
Pogs:
+585
This came to mind recently, so here's the wiki article about Defeated. Look in trivia for the lore change to Defeated so it does not reflect "death". https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Defeated
Posted Jun 28, 17
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices