No users online.
Recent Threads
Main Forum
Page
of 34

The Official Path of Fire Commentary Thread (Obvious Spoiler Warning)

335 replies
Pogs:
+638
Why has this not been made before now? A full two days after release, wut? ._.

Anyway, put all your PoF commentary here.

I'll start by saying I find it interesting we're seeing an entirely new side of Kasmer starting right off the bat. That being her apparent level of religious zeal. She's still thrashing about internally over the reveal that Balthazar is now a baddie. I also find it interesting that her faith was not shaken enough to where she still suggests getting Sunspear assistance during the portion where you appeal to Amnoon's high council on what how they should align themselves. I of course chose the Sunspear option specifically because I knew that would inevitably bring the entire s--tstorm of Joko's army running full bore down on the place (because I always go hard-option first, lol). I was immediately rewarded in doing so with Kasmer's admittance that she only suggested that option again based upon her religious faith. That aligning with the Sunspears would somehow cause Kormir to stir and be prompted to intervene in the situation against Balthazar.

Rytlock of course has his ever-cynical charm intact. His comment about wanting to use his blindflod to dab the Commander's tears slew me.
KStudios.2850 Roster:
The SmugglerThe EnforcerThe Executioner
The Technician
Posted Sep 25, 17 · OP · Last edited Sep 25, 17
Pogs:
+1,512
Kasmeer has always been religious, just without reason to bring it up.

Now that one aspect is proven true, balth's return and crazy levels, she's searching for answers like almost all humans should be. If balthazar really is back, surely that means she can contact another right?

Or as I said to kstudios and she wishes me to repeat it. "I view it as the shit has atomized the fan, so since one extreme has been revealed as true, she seeks answers in other extremes. it's not bad but it's a character trait"

Honestly I like that bit considering how many human players treat humanity as basically being non-religious. Having that bit, as well as the vast majority of people in the crystal desert revering Kormir greatly is a very welcome sight.
GW2 home server- Sorrow's Furnance Kalavier.1097
The Noble The SurvivorThe Commander

Feedback is great, and helps to improve us. If something seems off in my bios, come poke me and discuss it! If something is awesome, tell me! :)
Posted Sep 25, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+445
Man I love this entire expansion
The plot line was fantastic - I loved the first Balth fight and wandering around in the realm of the lost (if that's what it's called?) trying to figure out who you are and getting back to finish the job. The writing in general was fantastic imo. Lots of heavy, emotionally charged scenes and concepts, but enough lighthearted banter (Rytlock and Canach in general are fantastic) to keep you smiling.
And the epilogue's ending gave me chills.
NA/TC | anders.4275 | Sparrow's profile
Posted Sep 25, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+4,043
Just to be sure, all I'm about to say is purely subjective. Disclaimer before anyone starts waving flags around.

The launch was chaotic. And don't give me the 'It's like that with every MMO' excuse, that's a poor one. GW2 is five years old. They have a pretty accurate idea of how many people play their game. On top of that, most, if not all PoF purchases were through their shop, which means they could have kept track of how many people bought the expansion and could possibly log on the day of release to play. With all those factors in hand, they could have planned to expand their servers capacity, even if momentarily, to make the launch as smooth as possible. But they didn't. I call greediness (not wanting to invest in infrastructure), or laziness (not wanting to bother with it, it's so much easier to scream 'We gonna fix it boys' and just wait for the overflow of people to dissipate). As a result, the first two days have been a pain, filled with bugs, lags and disconnections. Kinda ruins the experience. Poor management, but I'm used to that with Anet.

Maps are beautiful, as always. Graphic/art design has always been a forte of this game, it is still one in this expansion. The mix of desert, oasis, savanna and even snow (which reminded me a lot of the Mount Atlas in Morocco actually) blends well together, and Vabbi's cities are gorgeous.

Speaking of maps, they weren't overcrowded with mobs like HoT maps were, which is good. However the mobs aggro range is fucking gigantic, which in the end is just as annoying, especially if going through the map with someone else (the first passing through aggros all the mobs in range (which is huge) and gets chased but gladly gets away with his mount, while the second has to go through the pack of mobs and gets dismounted from being roflstomped by them, and eventually dies in a matter of seconds. F U N.)

The maps were much bigger, which is... okayish I guess? But I felt like they were poorly exploited by the story, as most of the map was left unexplored if we didn't have to go there by ourselves rather than being introduced to it through story instances.

The story was dozen times better than HoT and LS3. On the other hand, it wasn't a difficult thing to do. Some passages were really good (the Domain of the Lost was great, especially if you play with someone else, as the second person will be turned into a little orb here to buff you out).

While the story was good, I felt like it was... too short. I barely had spent time on a new map that I had to move on to the next one already. I have been surprised how quick we had to leave the Crystal Oasis, for example. The whole story definitely ended too fast for me, it could have used some more build up. Which leads to another point that bugs me...

... The expansions don't feel like expansions. Now you might perk a brow at that, but lemme explain. Technically, expansions are supposed to be big things that keep you occupied, and the living story is supposed to link the different expansions between each other, some kind of filler. While expansions give some content (gliding, mounts, specs), considering how short the expansion stories are (finished in just a couple hours, without rushing, which is really, really little for a RPG), it feels more like the living story is actually the big thing story-wise, and the expansions are just linking the different living stories together, when it technically should be the other way around.

Some questions have been left unanswered. Like, where did the gods retreat? When we were chasing Balthazar warmachine, Taimi seemed to be insistent to communicate something important about the whole situation, yet when we finally see her, nothing. What was it?

Balthazar turned from a powerful god of war, to a little whiny bitch. "Mimimi you didn't do as I wanted so I'll rebel against your authoritah! Don't care if it ends everything and no one is left to worship me!" Kinda sucks as character development if you ask me.

We didn't see Braham. That's fucking good, and a relief. But that means we didn't see Braham die, which sucks.

Rytlock is a tribune, one of the most famous of the Legions. Dude didn't reach that rank because he was an idiot. So it was completely, entirely, utterly out of character to make him unchain some random dude in the Mists, without asking any questions about anything, and just with the promise (with no guarantee) that he would get his sword back. Illogical character writing right there that made me facepalm, hard.

Rytlock and Canach? Fantastic. Best characters in the game, by far. Kasmeer? Not so much, she's always whining about something or making uninteresting comments. Not even gonna talk about Marjory who just pops up at the end. She'd have been better off re-introduced in LS4.

Some poor game design choices. For example, the hearts to get the mounts. I'm the Commander, member of Dragon's Watch, here to defeat a god and stop him from ending all life in Tyria. I DON'T WANT TO FEED YOUR BUNNY KANGAROOS. Or to bring apples to a bunch of idiots who can't even simply walk to the basket to get one. It completely breaks the rhythm and pacing of the story. Do you see Frodo stop half-way through Middle Earth to go feed a bunch of horses because a farmer asked him to do so? Fuck no. I'm here on an important mission, not to do your chores. It completely threw me out of the story and it pissed me off. All mounts would have gained being introduced through an instanced story mission like the raptor was at the beginning. And alternatively, earned that way. Which leads to my second point...

Another poor game design choices: the way to get the mounts. Either you make them as a reward of a quest (you complete the heart, or a story mission, and then get the mount as a reward), or you make them directly accessible through gold purchase. But you don't do both, it's stupid. You don't work for something and then also have to pay for it. Otherwise getting the mount doesn't feel like an advancement or a progression, it feels like a scam (especially the Jackal, 20 gold, wtf, you're lucky it's the best mount to me along with the raptor).

Some better game design choices: masteries don't take millions of XP to get, so thank god for that, I wasn't ready to repeat the endless grind HoT was.

The last fight against Balthazar: Finally a final boss battle that is nice to play through! Zhaitan was boring as fuck, Mordremorth was brought so stupidly through a massive deus ex machina that it ruined it, but Balthazar's fight was GOOD. The whole chase was intense, and the fight was epic, especially with Kralkatorrik popping behind us, it really made me feel like a tiny mortal trapped between two powerful, godlike beings in the middle of a battle that definitely surpassed me.

That's all I can think of on top of my head, I might add more later.
Piken Square
Aelius Brightmane | Cailean Angelonia | Evi Velvetpaw | Growl Bladeskin | Kristopher Lockhart | Demolitionist Lhymm | Maelon Amaryllis | Inquisitor Moltenclaw | Bioenhancer Mukhin | Mikael Shineblood | Ichomancer Zhuliss | Sceledrus Irontail | Sulyenn Nightborn | Tilaw Stainsoul | Chronoanalyst Vekk | Vethorn Ulfkelson | Zehim El Khouri
Posted Sep 25, 17 · Last edited Sep 25, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+1,512
wrote:
Another poor game design choices: the way to get the mounts. Either you make them as a reward of a quest (you complete the heart, or a story mission, and then get the mount as a reward), or you make them directly accessible through gold purchase. But you don't do both, it's stupid. You don't work for something and then also have to pay for it. Otherwise getting the mount doesn't feel like an advancement or a progression, it feels like a scam (especially the Jackal, 20 gold, wtf, you're lucky it's the best mount to me along with the raptor).

Honestly, I liked the mounts system because it feels more realistic.

You don't just get given this creature, you have to learn/practice riding it for a bit first. And you are the commander, but to these people that doesn't mean much, and they are businesses so they can't just give away the critters.

Unlike just buying the mount and instantly being able to ride it and master it.
GW2 home server- Sorrow's Furnance Kalavier.1097
The Noble The SurvivorThe Commander

Feedback is great, and helps to improve us. If something seems off in my bios, come poke me and discuss it! If something is awesome, tell me! :)
Posted Sep 25, 17
Pogs:
+268
I thought it was really good, the crashes and bugs are to be expected for any MMORPG. I remember the days of WoW which has a bigger team and a bigger budget and remember not being able to play Wrath of the lich king for a few days because the opening area kept crashing. Apparently the EU was worse off than the US but, no idea.

The way they handled the gods was really cool, a HUGE plot was hidden away under an achievement. As you get a diary from Khormir that states that the gods have ruled that Tyria is beyond saving, it's gone and no matter what they do, it will die. The idea of us not being told, by them on where they're going is intentional, I feel. They don't want us to know because they don't care about the mortals on Tyria anymore. Even Khormir, who's still cares about Tyria was mocked for still holding onto Tyria by one of the other gods, they're outright given up and packed their bags. Us not knowing where they've gone, that empty feeling, the confusion and anger, that's the point. You'll most likely never see the gods again, more so in Guild wars 2.

I will say that I was a bit disappointed that we killed Balthazar. But, Anet has to cater to casual players who want to experience the story, I hate it. As epic as the fight was, the commander now killing a god? It's just more of a power fantasy than something I can immerse myself in, sure we were using an OP lore weapon but..still, the commander doing something big and epic, again? It's just a waste in my opinion. I was hoping he would become a raid boss so at least him taking on a ton of well organised heroes makes some sense or better yet, make him a world boss so at least casual players can enjoy killing him. Anet did what they could with what they have, having these big epic enemies get killed by deus ex machinas is the only way they can make the player feel like a hero and as the GW2 community is mostly casual, there's no chance of making him feel like an actual god at the very end of the game.
Don't get me wrong, the way they wrote him was great. The fact he toyed with us, killed us even, was great and very unique for an MMORPG, a great way of using game mechanics to immerse you into the story. Even liked the reasoning behind him, he's a god of war, leaving Tyria to the Elder Dragons would mean that he would be admitting defeat like the other gods have, he wanted to win, no matter what because that's in his nature, he doesn't know anything else.

The length of the story, was good. I actually wanted the story to end when we got brought back to life and then have the next two-three living world stories be the build up to Balthazar. That way it gives us RPers more to work with but now that he's dead, we're just going to have to RP he's still alive until the next the living world update. It's not the same as actually having him alive, as it gives us players more time to explore his effect on us. I'm sure some people will but I fear he's just going to be brushed under the carpet as he has been for most of his time in GW2.

Overall, it's a great expansion. My only gripes with it have come from the community getting to excited and going "Guess what! Guess what!" Oh and the fact that Khomir is a mini pet, what a stupid choice that was. Yeah, let's give players the option to spoil a HUGE moment in the story, I felt the same way with any of the lore mini pets. Let players discover that content for themselves, I purposely shut off all chat when I did the story only because I knew that people wouldn't be able to contain their excitement, why give players the chance to ruin it even once I've done all that?

Oh well. It's a great expansion and now that I've done the story no one can spoil it, all that happens now is I find things I can use for RP-PvE events, which this expansion caters towards and it also offers tons of little tid bits of lore that I will be using for Limu so, yeah it's great and I think it'll only get better in time.
4062276.jpg

Posted Sep 25, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+143
wrote:
I thought it was really good, the crashes and bugs are to be expected for any MMORPG. I remember the days of WoW which has a bigger team and a bigger budget and remember not being able to play Wrath of the lich king for a few days because the opening area kept crashing. Apparently the EU was worse off than the US but, no idea.

The way they handled the gods was really cool, a HUGE plot was hidden away under an achievement. As you get a diary from Khormir that states that the gods have ruled that Tyria is beyond saving, it's gone and no matter what they do, it will die. The idea of us not being told, by them on where they're going is intentional, I feel. They don't want us to know because they don't care about the mortals on Tyria anymore. Even Khormir, who's still cares about Tyria was mocked for still holding onto Tyria by one of the other gods, they're outright given up and packed their bags. Us not knowing where they've gone, that empty feeling, the confusion and anger, that's the point. You'll most likely never see the gods again, more so in Guild wars 2.

I will say that I was a bit disappointed that we killed Balthazar. But, Anet has to cater to casual players who want to experience the story, I hate it. As epic as the fight was, the commander now killing a god? It's just more of a power fantasy than something I can immerse myself in, sure we were using an OP lore weapon but..still, the commander doing something big and epic, again? It's just a waste in my opinion. I was hoping he would become a raid boss so at least him taking on a ton of well organised heroes makes some sense or better yet, make him a world boss so at least casual players can enjoy killing him. Anet did what they could with what they have, having these big epic enemies get killed by deus ex machinas is the only way they can make the player feel like a hero and as the GW2 community is mostly casual, there's no chance of making him feel like an actual god at the very end of the game.
Don't get me wrong, the way they wrote him was great. The fact he toyed with us, killed us even, was great and very unique for an MMORPG, a great way of using game mechanics to immerse you into the story. Even liked the reasoning behind him, he's a god of war, leaving Tyria to the Elder Dragons would mean that he would be admitting defeat like the other gods have, he wanted to win, no matter what because that's in his nature, he doesn't know anything else.

The length of the story, was good. I actually wanted the story to end when we got brought back to life and then have the next two-three living world stories be the build up to Balthazar. That way it gives us RPers more to work with but now that he's dead, we're just going to have to RP he's still alive until the next the living world update. It's not the same as actually having him alive, as it gives us players more time to explore his effect on us. I'm sure some people will but I fear he's just going to be brushed under the carpet as he has been for most of his time in GW2.

Overall, it's a great expansion. My only gripes with it have come from the community getting to excited and going "Guess what! Guess what!" Oh and the fact that Khomir is a mini pet, what a stupid choice that was. Yeah, let's give players the option to spoil a HUGE moment in the story, I felt the same way with any of the lore mini pets. Let players discover that content for themselves, I purposely shut off all chat when I did the story only because I knew that people wouldn't be able to contain their excitement, why give players the chance to ruin it even once I've done all that?

Oh well. It's a great expansion and now that I've done the story no one can spoil it, all that happens now is I find things I can use for RP-PvE events, which this expansion caters towards and it also offers tons of little tid bits of lore that I will be using for Limu so, yeah it's great and I think it'll only get better in time.

Oh man, this is so disheartening to hear having a devout monk to Dwayna knowing she just thought to GTFO, which is weird since supposedly the Gods brought humanity to Tyria, guess they were too lazy to even bring a few so as not to completely leave them behind. Also as for the Balthazar thing, I suppose I took advantage of the break between the expansion and LW3 for him to contemplate a bit about the fact that a god had returned and was wrecking house. Nothing huge, but ultimately I do wish the other gods had more impact on the actual plot. Guess it may just be so that GW2 doesn't get too human-centric?
Posted Sep 25, 17
Pogs:
+4,043
wrote:
wrote:

Honestly, I liked the mounts system because it feels more realistic.

You don't just get given this creature, you have to learn/practice riding it for a bit first. And you are the commander, but to these people that doesn't mean much, and they are businesses so they can't just give away the critters.

Unlike just buying the mount and instantly being able to ride it and master it.

The learn/practice could have gone just like the raptor at the beginning. A raptor that we get for free if I'm not mistaken I'd like to point out, after completing the story instance. It didn't seem odd or anything to get the raptor like that, we saved the dude's ass. It wouldn't have seemed odd to get the other mounts in a similar fashion. Personally, if I was there to save the world, I really, really wouldn't care whatsoever about 5 people wanting to eat apples or a bunch of weird rabbit kangaroo things needing to be fed. I'd do what I need to do to save the world, including stealing those mounts if I had to, because in the end, really, who the hell cares about one caretaker losing one mount when you need to save millions of lives.

Different strokes for different people in the end.
Piken Square
Aelius Brightmane | Cailean Angelonia | Evi Velvetpaw | Growl Bladeskin | Kristopher Lockhart | Demolitionist Lhymm | Maelon Amaryllis | Inquisitor Moltenclaw | Bioenhancer Mukhin | Mikael Shineblood | Ichomancer Zhuliss | Sceledrus Irontail | Sulyenn Nightborn | Tilaw Stainsoul | Chronoanalyst Vekk | Vethorn Ulfkelson | Zehim El Khouri
Posted Sep 25, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+638
I'm also really enjoying thus far. It's more or less a complete rehash of the Guild Wars; Nightfall campaign, but that's just fine with me. Even Rytlock takes note of the repeating history.

1.) A pi--ed off god that is the main baddie? Check.
2.) Having to rally the locals to your cause? Check.
3.) Minions of that god roaming the countryside en masse? Check.
4.) Joko is involved? Check.
5.) The fate of the world hangs in the balance? Check.
6.) Sunspears are on the run/underdogs? Check.
7.) Junundu? Check. (Though sadly not near as cute this time.)
KStudios.2850 Roster:
The Technician
Posted Sep 25, 17 · OP
Pogs:
+638
And Rytlock apparently FINALLY name drops the identity of who taught him to channel the mists essences. Glint herself. He really needs to be more forthcoming...
KStudios.2850 Roster:
The Technician
Posted Sep 26, 17 · OP
Pog
List
Undo
Page
of 34
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices