Recent Threads
Main Forum
Page
of 34

The Official Path of Fire Commentary Thread (Obvious Spoiler Warning)

335 replies
Pogs:
+2,915
wrote:
We know this because God Magic CANNOT be absorbed by Dragons, in fact it is shown to be anathema to them. And we know Balthazar was not a God, or did not have the magic that made him a God, during all of this because we didn't go blind looking at him.
You've repeated this in a few places in the last couple of days. Can you please provide your source for the dragons not being able to consume divine magic?

As for Balthazar, whether he qualified as a god or not is impossible to say without knowing the exact criteria for divinity (which we don't). The explanation could be that there is some kind of fundamental "divine essence" which carries an inherent property of blinding mortals, and Balthazar is lacking this so no longer a god, but there are other alternate explanations that could fit the facts too.

For example (just suggesting something possible here, not saying I necessarily agree with it): the other gods took as much of Balthazar's magic and power as they were able to, and in his weakened state he isn't radiating enough energy to cause blindness, but they didn't strip away anything fundamentally divine, and their claim that he's no longer one of the Six is intended as a statement that they've rejected him as one of their fellows. (The exact wording "Balthazar has been stripped of his claim and his title. He is no longer one of the six." certainly seems less like an implication that anything has physically changed about him. And in the case of Abbadon, despite being imprisoned by the others and no longer considered part of the pantheon, he certainly retained his divine status.)

For all we know, there might not even be such a thing as "divine essence", and a god might just be someone who contains a massive amount of regular magic. Without more concrete information about what the gods are, how they work and how new gods are made, we can't say anything for certain.
Ingjald Firebeard
~The Magpie Mercenaries~
Posted Oct 1, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+153
Well, they can't for now. Until proven otherwise 8-)
Posted Oct 1, 17
Pogs:
+429
Did you play the Living Story or not? It's there, can't remember exactly what episode, I'll check when I have access to my game.

Or even the Path of Fire story given you literally just quoted why he was no longer a god in your post.
Valis Hollington
Posted Oct 1, 17 · Last edited Oct 1, 17
Pogs:
+638
Kormir directly mentions Balth being stripped of his position as the God of War, so it's entirely possible his actual godhood itself was stripped with it. Now, what that would make of him at that point as a being we couldn't say. Since he and Abbadon are the only two examples we have of this. It's also then a pretty logical assumption that whatever state their banishment left them in also is why they were killable.

All speculation, but not very far fetched.
KStudios.2850 Roster:
The SmugglerThe EnforcerThe Executioner
The Technician
Posted Oct 1, 17 · OP
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+638
I also however do not agree that Kralk and even Aurene absorbed only the bloodstone energies. If Balth had any divine energies left, they took it. Otherwise we'd have become gods just like Kormir did, as his death recreated the same conditions present when Abbadon died and Kormir ran ahead to absorb and contain his remaining god essence. We know that Aurene got a share of that energy as well because in the Epilogue cutscene she appears slightly older.

It's actually an interesting thought though, that Anet might make the Pact Commander a god. It's possible. Seeing as humanity now has none left. There's really not much else at this point that the PC hasn't done.

More speculation; so what happens with death now that the gods are gone? Balth accused the PC of taking advantage of Grenths absence to bypass death, and that's not far from the truth. So the problem here is, what's to stop anyone else sufficiently powerful from reclaiming their name and memories, slaying a soul eater, and doing similar? Granted, this would be a rare individual that could pull it off, and they'd need to end up in the realm of the lost to begin with like we did, but it's not impossible right?
Posted Oct 1, 17 · OP · Last edited Oct 1, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+1,512
wrote:
Kormir directly mentions Balth being stripped of his position as the God of War, so it's entirely possible his actual godhood itself was stripped with it. Now, what that would make of him at that point as a being we couldn't say. Since he and Abbadon are the only two examples we have of this. It's also then a pretty logical assumption that whatever state their banishment left them in also is why they were killable.

All speculation, but not very far fetched.

Well, both Abaddon and Balth could be looked upon without blindness, but they had similar deaths as you noted.
wrote:
More speculation; so what happens with death now that the gods are gone? Balth accused the PC of taking advantage of Grenths absence to bypass death, and that's not far from the truth. So the problem here is, what's to stop anyone else sufficiently powerful from reclaiming their name and memories, slaying a soul eater, and doing similar? Granted, this would be a rare individual that could pull it off, and they'd need to end up in the realm of the lost to begin with like we did, but it's not impossible right?

The soul eater was something that appeared only because of Balth's entering and fucking up with the domain of the lost. The Judge and the commander even imply/state that killing Balthazar would heal/fix the issues in both realms.

So I'd state the likelyhood of anybody doing it again would be downright rare to the point of "the impossible would be easier". Especially since you'd require somebody so intent on continuing life they'd go "Nah, I'll give up on going to my final reward and risk being erased forever as a spirit (unless somebody else kills that soul eater)."
GW2 home server- Sorrow's Furnance Kalavier.1097
The Noble The SurvivorThe Commander

Feedback is great, and helps to improve us. If something seems off in my bios, come poke me and discuss it! If something is awesome, tell me! :)
Posted Oct 1, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+1,554
Also Kormir excpilitedly states that it was Abaddon's death that triggered the start of Primordus' awakening. If The dragons cannot absorb the energy of a god (and note a fallen god is still a god, just weakened.). Then how could that have triggered Primordus and in turn the entire cycle to begin anew?
Gametag: RobinTair.1806

Truu: Pact soldier turned merc
Diathi: Mender, Gardener, Troublemaker.
Laossi: Pastel-hued pacifist

Posted Oct 1, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+1,512
wrote:
Also Kormir excpilitedly states that it was Abaddon's death that triggered the start of Primordus' awakening. If The dragons cannot absorb the energy of a god (and note a fallen god is still a god, just weakened.). Then how could that have triggered Primordus and in turn the entire cycle to begin anew?

Honestly, this brings up perhaps interesting comments about Dhuum as well.

Why was he imprisoned, instead of killed? Why was Abaddon and Balthazar imprisoned instead of killed? Because the gods overall knew a god's death was incredibly destructive.

Balthazar, Lyssa, Abaddon, maybe even Dhuum all replaced their predecessors before the gods arrived at Tyria. Makes me ponder, did the gods have some infighting on another world, and that world got ravaged and ruined because of it? And thus they traveled to Tyria and brought what was left of humanity with them? Edit: Or did they leave a world with imprisoned gods bashing at their prison walls, trying to get out?

The hall of heroes in the mists was filled with winged humanoid statues, and only Melandru and Dwayna fit the bill. those two are also the oldest gods, and the only original ones.
GW2 home server- Sorrow's Furnance Kalavier.1097
The Noble The SurvivorThe Commander

Feedback is great, and helps to improve us. If something seems off in my bios, come poke me and discuss it! If something is awesome, tell me! :)
Posted Oct 1, 17 · Last edited Oct 1, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+104
I found this to be a bit of a hoot. Apparently if you are in a team when your party lead enters the mission just post being killed by Balthazar, you're a formless (though highly sexy) whispy orb. You have no offensive or defensive skills, only mild support. Also the soul eater can suck on you like some ectoplasmic Slurpee to regain HP, so it's best you not be there during that fight.

GUxKYP5.jpg
Posted Oct 3, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+638
Lol, dat dialogue though. xD
KStudios.2850 Roster:
The SmugglerThe EnforcerThe Executioner
The Technician
Posted Oct 3, 17 · OP
Pog
List
Undo
Page
of 34
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices