No users online.
Recent Threads
Main Forum
Page
of 34

The Official Path of Fire Commentary Thread (Obvious Spoiler Warning)

335 replies
Pogs:
+638
To further my lead from earlier, the dragons from D&D love inter-species relationships. For two primary reasons; one, it allows them easy threat minimal access to human baubles and coin because they love hoarding such things (something I could easily see GW Djinn partaking in, as they too love to hoard and have a penchant for causing mischief). Secondly, they do it because in all frankness they tend to live for thousands of years and just generally require amusement when not napping for decades at a time.

This is all speculation on possibility, mind you. As I stated earlier we thus far have zero lore relating to Djinn courting or reproductive habits/preferences. I'm again merely offering possible answers to these questions.
Posted Oct 21, 17 · OP · Last edited Oct 21, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+1,513
wrote:
And why didn't Zommoros stop the Karka from attacking Lion's Arch, or Scarlet? What the, completely out of place for Djinni, no exceptions, etc.

In both cases he was evacuated without issue, and Miyami was safe.

Karka never got close to him, and Scarlet was an entire army. Djinn are tough, but they aren't invincible. Archon was also present, and the awoken force smaller then scarlets entire army and airship fleet.

Sure, if Scarlet had personally walked past the mystic forge and launched a cannonball into it, I'd agree.

Still... I'd love to hop away from the discussion that is merely going in circles because there is nothing to prove or disprove Zalambur being a Djinn, and poke into other aspects of PoF instead of having 15 pages of Djinn after 15 pages of griffons.
GW2 home server- Sorrow's Furnance Kalavier.1097
The Noble The SurvivorThe Commander

Feedback is great, and helps to improve us. If something seems off in my bios, come poke me and discuss it! If something is awesome, tell me! :)
Posted Oct 21, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+281
Did you try using one of your three wishes to wish for Zalambur to help you fight the awakened at least?
Whoa! All of this fine wine is expired... Some if it by DECADES!
Posted Oct 21, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+1,303
wrote:
Did you try using one of your three wishes to wish for Zalambur to help you fight the awakened at least?

Press 'F' to rub Zalambur's Lamp.
Posted Oct 21, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+129
Going back to roleplay mount discourse, y'all should be focusing more on the magical sand jackals created by djinn using magical runes and magical sand leftover from Abbadon himself, and are very tolling on the djinn whose sole purpose is to create them rather than griffons who are everywhere and tamable by ogres (and NPCs in Bitterfrost Frontier).

In the racing area of Amnoon the child NPCs will comment which mounts you choose. If you bring out your griffon mount one of them will say: “Griffons are masters of the sky. Not on land.” implying this is not the first time they’ve seen people tame/mount griffons. But if you bring out the jackal the NPCs will react in different ways such as: “I’ve never seen that before, is it made out of sand?” Or one of them will start sneezing and mention the sand coming off the jackal.

tl;dr people should be free to roleplay whatever mount they want. But people are really hyper focused on griffons when its the jackals that would be harder for a character to give a reason why they'd have one.

-

Aight my point got across now what's this about Zalambur being a djinn?
Posted Oct 22, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+73
I've seen like, two people who casually have picked up jackals IC so far.
Posted Oct 22, 17
Pogs:
+1,810
Honestly with each of the four normal mounts, it's pretty reasonable to say it was bought after you helped a village. Or stole it, if that's what you're about. The mounts really don't seem to mind they now obey a random person they now carry around, but that might be gameplay reasons alone. So long as someone's not saying something absolutely ridiculous, like 'Abbadon's minions gave this Jackal to me!' cause that's hard to believe, unless the person's face has been sufficiently torn to pieces.
tumblr_oqxtdeTvgN1u18swpo1_400.png
Posted Oct 22, 17
Pogs:
+1,303
Mounts will forever be a controversial topic in roleplay, and the same people who don't like insta-limb-regrowth will probably feel the same way about those who magically handwave away the difficulties and challenges of mount ownership.

Unless your animals exist within a magical Pokeball state of suspended animation (and for the other roleplayers around you, a state of suspended disbelief), owning a well-bred beast capable of bearing you into battle or racing around the savanna is expensive, and even more so if you own a raptor the size of a destrier. The most expensive part of ownership has, and always will be the upkeep of the animal over time. There is a reason why knights in the middle ages were undoubtedly filthy rich: from what I understand, in order to be a knight, you had to own at least one warhorse and that was like owning and maintaining a Ferrari.

An adult raptor would undoubtedly need to eat as much meat as any large predatory animal that is actively performing a lot of work, because work involves the expenditure of energy and energy can only be recovered by eating meat if they are an obligate carnivore, and meat is the most expensive variety of food.

Let me put it this way: in order to solve the problem of mountable war-bred livestock being expensive to own and maintain, you would need to have magic that the very existence of would solve world hunger because we're talking about the economics of food.

Of course, there are exceptions to this rule. Necromancers can probably raise econo-mounts from unwanted dead body parts and twist them into flesh golems of various shapes and sizes. It wouldn't be a desirable way for the rich and well-to-do to travel, but poorer characters could probably afford it. Sand jackals, while being magical constructs, can only be shaped and repaired by earth djinn so that makes repairing them difficult unless you were a horrible person and enslaved one with a magic lamp to repair your steed in exchange for a boon.

So really, mounts are just another part of the setting for people with different tastes to disagree over.
Posted Oct 22, 17 · Last edited Oct 22, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+638
Aight my point got across now what's this about Zalambur being a djinn?

That conversation started with me back on page 28 of this thread. Based on two pieces of evidence. Many here would argue against those two points being evidence in favor of, but I honestly don't believe Anet would have added such things at all if they didn't want us to speculate. They're fully aware of just how big the conspiracy community is within the game's fandom (seeing as the devs read and respond to Reddit more than their own forums, lol).
KStudios.2850 Roster:
The SmugglerThe EnforcerThe Executioner
The Technician
Posted Oct 22, 17 · OP · Last edited Oct 22, 17
Pogs:
+2,777
I'm not nitpicking you personally, but you brought up some blanket comments that may be brought up in rp.
wrote:
Unless your animals exist within a magical Pokeball state of suspended animation (and for the other roleplayers around you, a state of suspended disbelief), owning a well-bred beast capable of bearing you into battle or racing around the savanna is expensive, and even more so if you own a raptor the size of a destrier. The most expensive part of ownership has, and always will be the upkeep of the animal over time. There is a reason why knights in the middle ages were undoubtedly filthy rich: from what I understand, in order to be a knight, you had to own at least one warhorse and that was like owning and maintaining a Ferrari.

Some things that we do just handwave;

• reading a book (there's no book there, really, but we use a thing called imagination in order to think 'yes, there's a book there')
  • owning a house (which is also expensive)
  • running a farm (also expensive and labour intensive)
  • being a cook
  • owning a restaurant
  • owning a business in general
  • owning dolyaks in order to transport goods (which seems to be accepted)
wrote:
An adult raptor would undoubtedly need to eat as much meat as any large predatory animal that is actively performing a lot of work, because work involves the expenditure of energy and energy can only be recovered by eating meat if they are an obligate carnivore, and meat is the most expensive variety of food.

Two things; it's been stated in game that raptors love the taste of fireflies. Which means they might really like the taste of sparkflies. And you've seen the size of those things. And as moutable raptors are not native to places where sparkflies and the larger varieties of fireflies that exist in game, that means there's no natural predators for those massive bugs. Hell, there's a chance for an entire economy to be created with a new business model just for that alone.

Secondly, we don't need to show a raptor being fed. We really don't. And if someone demands that in rp, just look at them and say 'don't you want to physically see me go to the bathroom, too' because we all think that our characters do go to the bathroom, but we don't need to see that.
wrote:
So really, mounts are just another part of the setting for people with different tastes to disagree over.

What it boils down to is one section that really has some creativity and tries to keep within the boundaries of the world, and another section that's just a bunch of rules lawyers.
tumblr_phjrisFT7y1tg2mtpo1_1280.jpg
Posted Oct 22, 17
Page
of 34
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices