No users online.
Recent Threads
Main Forum
Page
of 34

The Official Path of Fire Commentary Thread (Obvious Spoiler Warning)

335 replies
Pogs:
+4,043
wrote:
If someone wrote a character who was simultaneously dirt poor, unable to feed themselves, and could somehow afford to own a thoroughbred beast of war then my eyebrows would be raised. Can you imagine a homeless person pushing a sports car down the st wrote:

I mean, I guess I always thought of mounts as a type of pet. Not all of them need to be bred for war. Horses are mounts in reality, but plenty of people keep them as pets. As for being homeless, plenty of homeless people still own a car. Maybe not a nice one, but a car nonetheless. Homeless people also often have pets such as dogs. I wouldn't say it's out of the ordinary for a homeless character to own a raptor or springer as they seem more common and easier to obtain. Plenty of people take in wild rabbits as pets (though I don't recommend it), I wouldn't put it outside the realm of lore for someone to have found a group of wild springers and raised one.

Do you know how expensive a horse is? To buy, to feed, to keep in a stable, to bring to the vet? Now imagine a homeless person who would somehow own a horse. That would be the level of stupid of a dirty poor character owning a mount.

Okay but also know that roleplay doesn't have to adhere to every realistic expectation we have in reality. It's roleplay. We have magical pink butterfly spewing magical girls, pumpkin headed kings, and commanders who kill gods. I don't think something as minute as being poor and still owning a mount is something that needs to be addressed so viciously. That's called nitpicking.

How is it nitpicking. Or even viscious at any point. It's not even related to realisticly RPing, it's just basic logic. Economy and budgets aren't things you can just shrug off. Money doesn't grow on trees, nor does it come out of someone's butt (unless they drank one of those things to make your turds covered in gold nuggets, those things are really weird). A mount requires to be taken care of. A saddle (already expensive on its own). Lots, lots of food (especially for the raptor, and meat is hella expensive, and you can't just let it hunt by itself randomly). Healthcare. Those aren't nitpicking. Those are important things when trying to RP something that would seem believable for other people. Someone poor can't possibly own a mount. It doesn't make sense, whatsoever.
Piken Square
Aelius Brightmane | Cailean Angelonia | Evi Velvetpaw | Growl Bladeskin | Kristopher Lockhart | Demolitionist Lhymm | Maelon Amaryllis | Inquisitor Moltenclaw | Bioenhancer Mukhin | Mikael Shineblood | Ichomancer Zhuliss | Sceledrus Irontail | Sulyenn Nightborn | Tilaw Stainsoul | Chronoanalyst Vekk | Vethorn Ulfkelson | Zehim El Khouri
Posted Oct 22, 17 · Last edited Oct 22, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+128
wrote:
wrote:
If someone wrote a character who was simultaneously dirt poor, unable to feed themselves, and could somehow afford to own a thoroughbred beast of war then my eyebrows would be raised. Can you imagine a homeless person pushing a sports car down the st wrote:

I mean, I guess I always thought of mounts as a type of pet. Not all of them need to be bred for war. Horses are mounts in reality, but plenty of people keep them as pets. As for being homeless, plenty of homeless people still own a car. Maybe not a nice one, but a car nonetheless. Homeless people also often have pets such as dogs. I wouldn't say it's out of the ordinary for a homeless character to own a raptor or springer as they seem more common and easier to obtain. Plenty of people take in wild rabbits as pets (though I don't recommend it), I wouldn't put it outside the realm of lore for someone to have found a group of wild springers and raised one.

Do you know how expensive a horse is? To buy, to feed, to keep in a stable, to bring to the vet? Now imagine a homeless person who would somehow own a horse. That would be the level of stupid of a dirty poor character owning a mount.

Okay but also know that roleplay doesn't have to adhere to every realistic expectation we have in reality. It's roleplay. We have magical pink butterfly spewing magical girls, pumpkin headed kings, and commanders who kill gods. I don't think something as minute as being poor and still owning a mount is something that needs to be addressed so viciously. That's called nitpicking.

How is it nitpicking. Or even viscious at any point. It's not even related to realisticly RPing, it's just basic logic. Economy and budgets aren't things you can just shrug off. Money doesn't grow on trees, nor does it come out of some's butt (unless they drank one of those things to make your turds covered in gold nuggets, those things are really weird). A mount requires to be taken care of. A saddle (already expensive on its own). Lots, lots of food (especially for the raptor, and meat is hella expensive, and you can't just let it hunt by itself randomly). Healthcare. Those aren't nitpicking. Those are important things when trying to RP something that would seem believable for other people. Someone poor can't possibly own a mount. It doesn't make sense, whatsoever.

But those are things that many people just overlook during roleplay, and are not as important as general storytelling. Economy and budgets in roleplay? Sure those things can spice up roleplay if you're a business owner, but life is flexible. People can roleplay a homeless/poor character who still owns a mount and I wouldn't think twice about it.
Posted Oct 22, 17
Pogs:
+1,301
wrote:
Someone poor can't possibly own a mount.

Unless they stole it, in which case they wouldn't be poor for much longer! :p

Horse Thieves: The best new character concept since Path of Fire was launched.
Posted Oct 22, 17
Pogs:
+638
Athrenn wrote:
wrote:
Someone poor can't possibly own a mount.

Unless they stole it, in which case they wouldn't be poor for much longer! :p

Horse Thieves: The best new character concept since Path of Fire was launched.

If you're willing to face consequences, sure lol. Again back in the day Grand Theft Equis was an offense worthy of hanging. xD

Most players of criminal based characters are not willing to have those chars face consequences.
Posted Oct 22, 17 · OP
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+4,343
Benefactor
Mount ownership is a classic case of: Does it make sense, or do I just want my character to have it?

My Ranger owns a bear, a fern hound, and the willing company of a ditzy Sylvari woman named Noemi who keeps dragging them all into massively dangerous adventures with a huge smile on her face. He makes a living as a bounty hunter and beast slayer, but the work doesn't pay amazingly due to the abundance of adventurers and sword-savvy peoples of Tyria.

He is not wealthy.

So how does he make sure the bear, dog, and adorable girlfriend get fed, groomed, and maintained? Works his ass off and makes/hunts for whatever he can't afford.

Your stuttering street urchin Asura who spends 12 hours a day cuddling people in taverns and the rest of it sleeping in the gutter? I'd love to see your reasoning for the ownership of a Moa, let alone an exotic animal from the nation of Elona. Do what you want, but for the love of logic, please have it make some sense.
Posted Oct 22, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+638
I foresee raptor rentals becoming a burgeoning business in this newly appointed high tourist and exploration hub that is Amnoon... Hmm. I might do something with that.

A shame my main couldn't meet Zalambur. He's everything she could be in the right conditions, if not living under strict Krytan law and forced to remain firmly within the criminal underworld.
Posted Oct 22, 17 · OP · Last edited Oct 22, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Page
of 34
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices