No users online.
Recent Threads
Main Forum

I can't make Mirage work. Any tips?

3 replies
Hello, everyone.

I know that it's not the best idea to ask about the game's mechanics on a roleplay forum, but I know that a bunch of people do play the game and are quite familiar with it.

So I'm the kind of person who really appreciates variety... and because of that, I found myself having more than 24 characters, resulting in 3 characters per class. The idea is pretty simple. I make characters that are meant to use a core class, a HoT specialization and a PoF specialization while at the same time being attached to different weapon styles and roles. The best example that I can provide are my ranger characters. I have a Damage ranger, a Support Druid and a Conditions Soulbeast -- and they work without any issues for both PvE and PvP.

I was hoping to achieve the same thing for mesmer. That is why I have three of them. But there's a problem. Unlike the other classes, I have no idea what to do with this class. I don't understand how Mirage work... and even though I've been battling this even before the expansion's announcement I still cannot figure it out. I only have one chronomancer whose role is Damage. He uses a Sword/Shield and a Greatsword. And that's settled. I was hoping to create some kind of Support or Tank role for one of the other two but apparently, that's not a choice since they're no longer relevant or reliable. So I was kind of hoping to make a basic Conditions character that could use something like Sinister or Viper while the other has a higher chance of survival by using stats like Dire or Trailblazer.

When I experimented Mesmer builds for WvW I found a build to be quite fun. It relied on Staff and Scepter/Torch and the use of Dire/Trailblazer stats. Some people have told me that this isn't great for PvE but so far I don't have any major complaints. With these weapons used it means that the following ones can indeed be used for a Mirage:

- Pistol off-hand;
- Sword off-hand;
- Focus off-hand;
- Axe main-hand;

As you can see there's a problem with this. There's a lack of a main-hand. As an exception, I'm willing to use a Sword or a Scepter if required. But I don't really know what exactly to pick and how well said build would do in real-time. My knowledge about Mesmers is really slim, and I was hoping that you guys could provide a better insight regarding this problem. It's just that it's been troubling me for such a long time now.
ZMd3xPf.png
Posted Sep 26, 17 · OP
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+2,708
I was hoping to create some kind of Support or Tank role for one of the other two but apparently, that's not a choice since they're no longer relevant or reliable.

According to who? And for what game type? You can do whatever the hell you want in PvE.
When I experimented Mesmer builds for WvW I found a build to be quite fun. It relied on Staff and Scepter/Torch and the use of Dire/Trailblazer stats. Some people have told me that this isn't great for PvE but so far I don't have any major complaints.

Then why not just do that?
0383DKg.png
Posted Sep 26, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+49
I run the same wvw build (scept/torch/staff, dire gear) and absolutely love it. It's basically what I use for mirage in PvE (axe/torch/staff, dire gear) and it works fine for me. Had to shift around the traits a little obviously, I can't remember them off the top of my head, but I went for whatever gave me more condi and the trait line that allows shatters to heal. I use mostly mirage skills (the heal and two utilities, and the elite since I took blink off my utilities) and used decoy as my non mirage utility. Honestly, experimentation is the best way to find what works best for you, but if you enjoy the wvw build, you can absolutely make a mirage build viable. Just takes practice. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do something with a class or spec just because it isn't considered meta. Play whatever is fun for you. You're the one playing it, not them.
"Darkness does not always equate to evil, just as light does not always bring good."
Posted Sep 26, 17
Pogs:
+269
So, actually there is a tank/support build for mesmers.
However, it is on Chronomancer just take note.

If you wanted to go for a support/tank you can either go full mintrels or a mixture of cleric/minstrels for a boon/healing set. This was actually a sought after raid build along with commanders. Hard to run around in the open world, but damn you are not going to die at all. In WvW it is amazing for the times that you are running around in a dedicated squad and they need boon/healing uptime. Again, this mostly works with chronomancer since it is mostly a defensive/support spec.

For base Mesmer, surprisingly, a power or condi build can actually work. You can do the WvW dire/trailblazer build or you can go with the vanilla shatter build. Mind you this is a PVP build, but it can easily be transferred into a PVE build. All you really have to do is go Sword/Torch, Sword/Pistol, or Sword/Focus depending on which off-hand you view as necessary and run greatsword as your range/hard-hitting weapon for your shatters. You go Illusions, dueling, and domination for a full damage build or you can replace either domination or dueling with chaos for more defense/boons when you shatter.

For mirage, well, it's easier than it actually looks. From what I've tested mirage seems to work much better with condi than with power. I am sure that the base damage on axe is excuseable, but for the most part I've gotten the most successful results with condi on mirage. Basically you can take two paths with this. You can either take the dire/trailblazer build from the vanilla Mesmer and transfer it into a mirage. Or, you can go full vipers/sinister and have the best of both worlds. If you are planning to do that. Then I suggest take Staff and Axe/Torch if you want to spam lots of stealth or axe/pistol if you want CC attached to your condis. For the vipers go illusions, chaos, and mirage or illusions, dueling, and mirage.
ee44f3a9480186cf.png
a1a43a9fcdbddedd.png
Posted Sep 28, 17
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices