Main Forum
Page
of 9

[Spoiler/Discussion thread] Season 4 and it's effects on RP

82 replies
Pogs:
+1,512
wrote:
Side note, the other form that Dervish turns into is, coincidentally, Lyssa.

The warden? She uses all five GW1 avatar forms during her fight, open world and in story.

As for the book area thing... I felt that heart was fitting.

Just because one has a bounty on them doesn't mean they are an ally. A person could've pissed in Joko's cereal and gotten a bounty placed on them, then use such information like a sunspear base to clear their name.

Reputation doesn't mean shit to some people, and they want proof. If you helped keep the histories slamming Joko, then they got dirt on you as well. These people have never met you, and depending on your choices in path of fire...

You think they'd openly welcome somebody who went and told amnoon to side with Joko against Balthazar? I don't think so. If you side with sunspears or remained independant yeah it's a little weird, but there is the chance the player had chosen joko.

As for Taimi, it made sense. Joko is all ego. What better way to torture and start getting back at the commander then making them watch their friend suffocate and die horribly? As for her golem, he had a massive amount of inquest to forcibly reprogram or tinker with it.

That inquest base after all, had been there for pretty much EIGHT years in the first city.
GW2 home server- Sorrow's Furnance Kalavier.1097
The Noble The SurvivorThe Commander

Feedback is great, and helps to improve us. If something seems off in my bios, come poke me and discuss it! If something is awesome, tell me! :)
Posted Nov 29, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+4,045
wrote:

Just because one has a bounty on them doesn't mean they are an ally. A person could've pissed in Joko's cereal and gotten a bounty placed on them, then use such information like a sunspear base to clear their name.

Reputation doesn't mean shit to some people, and they want proof. If you helped keep the histories slamming Joko, then they got dirt on you as well. These people have never met you, and depending on your choices in path of fire...

You think they'd openly welcome somebody who went and told amnoon to side with Joko against Balthazar? I don't think so. If you side with sunspears or remained independant yeah it's a little weird, but there is the chance the player had chosen joko.

Because nothing screams "I'm anti-Joko!" more than spinning telescopes and mirrors around and cleaning obelisks (aka being scholars little bitch). Or, you know, they could have, I don't know, sent us killing an undead champion somewhere and make us come back with a proof we killed it to show we fight Joko's army, that would have 1/ avoided a seriously boring story progression design that has been plaguing all living stories and expansions, 2/ avoided to have a heart-filler to artificialliy elongate the time needed to finish the episode and 3/ made of us something more than an errand boy once again.

wrote:
That inquest base after all, had been there for pretty much EIGHT years in the first city.

Seven years.
Piken Square
Aelius Brightmane | Cailean Angelonia | Evi Velvetpaw | Growl Bladeskin | Kristopher Lockhart | Demolitionist Lhymm | Maelon Amaryllis | Inquisitor Moltenclaw | Bioenhancer Mukhin | Mikael Shineblood | Ichomancer Zhuliss | Sceledrus Irontail | Sulyenn Nightborn | Tilaw Stainsoul | Chronoanalyst Vekk | Vethorn Ulfkelson | Zehim El Khouri
Posted Nov 29, 17 · Last edited Nov 29, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+638
wrote:
As for Taimi, it made sense. Joko is all ego. What better way to torture and start getting back at the commander then making them watch their friend suffocate and die horribly? As for her golem, he had a massive amount of inquest to forcibly reprogram or tinker with it.

Yes, but what hurts more; watching your friend and ally die and being upset, but ultimately having closure with it, or making their ally Awakened and then having to not only fight them but also giving the enemy all the intel they'd ever need on you and your group? It really just comes down to the fact that Anet really felt it would be in bad form to piss off the fans by doing that to Taimi. Had it been me, Taimi would've been Awakened when we finally opened Scruffy lol. Because that only makes sense from the enemy's perspective.

Then again I watch way too much GoT.
KStudios.2850 Roster:
The SmugglerThe EnforcerThe Executioner
The Technician
Posted Nov 29, 17 · Last edited Nov 29, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+1,512
wrote:
wrote:

Yes, but what hurts more; watching your friend and ally die and being upset, but ultimately having closure with it, or making their ally Awakened and then having to not only fight them but also giving the enemy all the intel they'd ever need on you and your group? It really just comes down to the fact that Anet really felt it would be in bad form to piss off the fans by doing that to Taimi. Had it been me, Taimi would've been Awakened when we finally opened Scruffy lol. Because that only makes sense from the enemy's perspective.

Then again I watch way too much GoT.

Boo at game of thrones.

However, I think Joko had his leader person and/or himself moving to do other things instead of sitting there and waiting for her to die.

Plus, it's been established now that when awoken, you must obay commands, BUT, sometimes anything from a small bit to a large chunk of personality remains, and that personality/sense of self can affect how the orders are taken. Like the old priest said, most choose to give in (or already love Joko and do so willingly) and obay everything anyway.

However, some like Koss purposefully twist the orders as much as they are able to, even outright finding loopholes to get out of doing the task entirely.

Feedback is great, and helps to improve us. If something seems off in my bios, come poke me and discuss it! If something is awesome, tell me! :)
Posted Nov 29, 17
Pogs:
+37
Did some digging, and as it turns out Zagzag, you appear to be correct, or at least partially correct. I found an article on what was called the 'Idol of Balthazar' which could work on non-humans and transform them into an extremely powerful incarnation of the war god....but it had some severe drawbacks, exposure to someone who had a weak will would result in them becoming a blood crazed psychopath, so while the ritual is incredibly powerful even by the standards of modern magic, it also can cause immense harm to the user. Artifacts like this exist, but are largely in the hands of humans, and if they aren't humans try to get them back because they tend to like their secrets.

Similarly, upon reading up on Dervishes, the kind of Avatars they transform into is different but also a closely guarded secret of their order, as per guild wars 1 sources on the Dervish profession. Ergo, it's safe to assume that if it's some kind of spell it's quite likely that other species just realistically would not know about it.
Posted Nov 29, 17
Pogs:
+1,512
wrote:
wrote:

Because nothing screams "I'm anti-Joko!" more than spinning telescopes and mirrors around and cleaning obelisks (aka being scholars little bitch). Or, you know, they could have, I don't know, sent us killing an undead champion somewhere and make us come back with a proof we killed it to show we fight Joko's army, that would have 1/ avoided a seriously boring story progression design that has been plaguing all living stories and expansions, 2/ avoided to have a heart-filler to artificialliy elongate the time needed to finish the episode and 3/ made of us something more than an errand boy once again.

What about keeping the scholars trying to write the pro-joko history away? Or defending the place from the book burning awakened? Though, what truly screams "I'm anti-joko" is.
wrote:
At this point, I wouldn't mind if the Commander began to punch people in the face until they gave them the info they need to save the universe and the people in it, it'd make more sense than to keep being everyone's little errand boy (not to say bitch).
Yep. beating the locals into a bloody pulp surely will get them to reveal the secret locations of the sunspears!
Or should we try the long list of titles we got.. but oh wait. that'd make us sound like Joko, ego to the max :p.

But, you are right about this. They should've had the heart event be Champions Dawn. Or, actually, have you pick one or the other. As they said, you had to prove yourself to the person in charge of the restricted archive. So it would've worked better (IMO) to either help the scholars, or help the village. Even though that'd kinda be "Go to village, help. go north to sunspears, go back to village to ask around."

It sounds like you hate all hearts and most events though. But S3 did one thing good, it featured the ENTIRE map. Most of Path of Fire is literally unused in the story instances/steps, and they could've easily made each map much more involved. Like those epic dwarven ruins that aren't even a tiny, tiny bit related to path of fire story at all bar Odgen's ONE line in Lion's Arch.
Quote:
wrote:

Seven years.

Actually, it's seven years, 11 months, and something like 10-20 days. So yeah, pretty much eight years.
wrote:
Oh and out of all the PvE stuff, my fav bit was storming out of the prison and meeting an entire army of Undead and Sunspear, it was meant to be a "Oh no, the Sunspears are falling..." but...Tempest is OP. Huge AoE healing/DPS was very satisfying, plus rounding up undead inquest putting blocking their path so they all lump together then blowing them all up in one batch.

Why was that scene meant to be "sunspears are failing"? That event bit of the prison break out and clearing the courtyard was quite literally "The sunspears are back, and kicking massive ass!" Immediately afterward they cheer in victory and march, in mass, to reclaim champion's dawn.
Quote:
Onto the bad.

"We need to know you're against, Joko."

"Oh, sure! I got this huge bounty on my head that Joko put on my head, personally, the highest in your land, that enough?"

"...Turn that telescope."

*Sighs and turns the telescope*

"WELCOME TO THE SUNSPEARS!"

Bounty doesn't mean you are friendly to the sunspear cause. Infact, if you told amnoon to side with Joko they'd have major reason to distrust you. And as I noted above, there is more to that heart then "Telescopes and mirrors yo." One event that I saw there was literally defending the library from book burning awoken, and defending the truth of history from some scholars.
Quote:
An ingenious Asura, saved the world countless times outmatched by her Golem depleting her oxygen. Did she not think about taking an oxygen tank in there? A breather? Oh well. It was to move the plot forward and to be dramatic (lazy writing)

No, it's actually very realistic that an Asura, especially one as genius as Taimi, would be defeated by something simple.

She'd never imagine Scruffy being hacked, and her ability to control him being completely stripped. So she had no backup/manual eject options for when the air got drained from the cockpit, because again, why would she expect to be in a situation where the air inside Scruffy was gone or poisoned and thus require an oxygen tank. A breather wouldn't help her at all with no air. As she said in the fight IIRC, "I can't believe I made scruffy too good."

I am 100% sure her next upgrade to scruffy will be a manual canopy eject lever, or a way to remove part of the canopy/open the canopy some from inside to allow air flow.
Quote:
I don't know. I think the HoT episode 1 was better, it certainly wowed me allot more and hyped for the next episode. This time I'm more hyped if we get an invasion event in the open world. If it's just a one off episode thing like the White mantle was, ugh, that would be a huge downer. I loved that HoT brought the Ley line events and the Blood stone events to the open world but still a bit salty over the awful way they handled the White mantle.

What do you mean the white mantle events? They got split into two factions immediately after bloodstone fen. One with balthazar that got wiped out/imprisoned by his new merc army, and the other which formed into one giant force and marched on Divinity's Reach.

The forces under Cauducus got wiped out very quickly at Lake Doric, leaving the white mantle as a faction dead or captured. The white mantle ceased to exist as a faction after the episode "Head of the Snake"
wrote:
I did groan when Braham showed up, though. Seriously. All this shit going down and you're going to start complaining immediately upon seeing the Commander, who has done a WORLD of good while you sat and whined about mom and a dragon? Boo-hoo.

Admittedly, when Braham started bitching I wanted to slap him and go "While you sat there staring at an ice block like an angry child who lost his toy, I fucking killed a god. GET OFF YOUR ASS." :p

Honestly, since he cares for Taimi greatly, I'm hoping him and Taimi sit down and he actually listens to her explain that SHE told the commander to wait on Jormag/Primordus, and to pass that message to Braham. He may listen to Taimi and start to understand what's really going on, if she hasn't been trying to send him letters explaining (I'm unsure on that part).

Posted Nov 30, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+1,303
Hysτεry

On the topic of why the Astralarium heart quest happened the way it did, here is the relevant portion of the story journal that explains it from the Commander's perspective:

I made contact with the head archivist, Rhadha, who was fearful that my presence might draw undue attention and requested that I disguise myself as a visiting scholar. This was the only way I could gain access to the archives where the entrance to the Sunspear base was located without arousing the suspicion of the many pro-Joko researchers or the Mordant Crescent patrols who monitored the facility.

After posing as a scholar to deflect the suspicions of the Mordant Crescent guards and pro-Joko reseachers at the Astralarium, I sought out Head Archivist Rhadha, who told me the key to locating the secret Sunspear base was contained in a book called "Nightfall," located in the main archives. Rhadha advised me to contact Archivist Salwa, who controlled access to these archives.

Archivist Salwa was understandably hesitant to allow me to enter the sanctum until I could prove to her that I supported those seeking to end the vicious rule of the lich king, Palawa Joko.

So to recap, the archivists basically told us that we need to blend in and pretend to be visiting scholars. That's why we were reshelving books, doing menial labor, etc. etc. If we had just showed up at her door with a dead soldier's head as a trophy, it would have drawn suspicion from the Mordant Crescent and endangered the secret of the rebel base so we needed to go undercover and put on a front.

In reality, this could have involved changing our appearance and wearing priory robes, maybe hitting up our Pact connections and convincing the priory leader that we need them to help us put on a show by giving us a false identity as one of their people but it's just a video game story and they had to trim it down. We didn't have the luxury of spending weeks of play time building our cover and maintaining it against scrutiny.

As for the timeline of events regarding the Inquest base, there's another line in the computer mentioning a pet that was received 17 years ago, so 1312-1313 is our earliest date for occupation. The ley-line core was built a whole decade after the lab was first occupied in late Colossus of 1322.
Posted Nov 30, 17
Pogs:
+1,512
Huh. I hadn't looked at the story journal blurbs yet but that's very interesting.

Which does fit into the fact there are many visiting scholars and priory observers in the area as well. At least these priory are keeping their mouths shut unlike the one guy up at the academy in Vabbi :p.

Posted Nov 30, 17
Pogs:
+2,777
Okay, I've played through the whole thing, but I know others haven't. Everything's going under spoiler tags. Expand at your own risk.
The Good
Spoiler: The GoodShow
The Bad
Spoiler: The BadShow

Wow! The Bad turned out to be way longer than I thought it would be. I kinda went on a rant.

Hopes For the Future
Spoiler: Hopes For The FutureShow
tumblr_phjrisFT7y1tg2mtpo1_1280.jpg
Posted Nov 30, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+110
That would be a fitting end to Palawa Joko. The rest of his living days, telling everyone just how much of a joke he is.
Palawa Joke-o.

I do agree that a lot could be fixed, but with this just being the first episode, I have to say it has a lot of potential. I'm already enjoying it a little more than the last LS and expansion due to the fact that we have a villain that actually feels like a villain and not some cop-out plot twist lovechild. *cough* looking at you Balth *cough*
~ Chloe Blanchard ~ Arianna Celenza ~ Ella Medici ~
uzKEG5p.jpg
Posted Nov 30, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Page
of 9
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices