Recent Threads
Main Forum
Page
of 3

Meeting of Minds/Every so often Market Feedback Thread: New poll: Grace period for MoM

27 replies
Pogs:
+1,542
Hello there folks! Some of you might recall way back when Season 2 of the living world was shiny and new. There was a concept ran called "the Meeting of Minds". Where guilds and freelancers alike (but mainly guilds) Could gather and dicuss the going ons of Tyria, Both created by Arena-net via the living world and by other roleplayers. It's intent was simple: provide a way for those that wanted to mingle and involve others in their plots the logical means of doing so in an easy to know in character fashion.

Around the time of HoT and the droughtTM this event stopped.
I was wondering, though it was good, it also had some flaws. (expressed by myself- as a host and participant and others) ~one of the most obvious is that, smaller, non adventuerious guilds would often feel either out of place or not attend due to it not fitting their own style.

As such while I would like to revive it, it wouldn't quite be the same as it was.

Thus my proposal is two fold:

1:
A Reworked meeting of minds, That occurs every Two/three months,
2:
A gathering of service/small scaled guilds to promote their services. Set on a different date and timescale then the meeting of minds.
The point of this thread isn't just to gauze interest, But see if-
A: They'd be wanted before committing to it.
B: Allow people to provide feedback and their input on- if it is wanted. Hoe to make it fair and open, without becoming a clusterfuck of emotes.

Now, As with every project, there's pros and cons to it, Which I will list here, others may add onto in their own posts too.
Pros:
+ Guilds that want to, can gather and interact with guilds they may not have had a chance too otherwise in a setting where it makes sense!
+ The increased time between meetings means that There is more time between them to actually rp-out the conclusions at the end of meetings
+ Both adventurous and non adventitious guilds get equal lime-light without feeling out of place or out of their depth. Which maintains realism.
+ For the MoM, The three month cadence means that there will be at least one point of discussion. (The Living world of course.)
Cons:
- Not every Guild will get along or want to get along.
- It will require allot of organisation and work to pull off
- The Smaller-scope meeting needs both a name and date
- Requires a willing group or individual lot of hosts who can keep up with the crawl.
- Can take allot of time due to different typing speeds and other factors
- Needs a balance between allowing freedom and rules to keep it form devolving into a shouting match that leaves many turned off
- Criminals guilds may find it awkward or impossible to attend due to their nature?

So would people be interested in this? If so. What would you suggest in order to make the running of both go smoothly, both for those taking part and hosting?
If Not, Why and is there anything that could "rescue it" for you?
One Week after Launch
2 votes
20%
Two Weeks after Launch
6 votes
60%
Three Weeks After Launch
1 vote
10%
One Month After Launch
1 vote
10%
Number of voters: 10
Poll is closed
Gametag: RobinTair.1806

Truu: Pact soldier turned merc
Diathi: Mender, Gardener, Troublemaker.
Laossi: Pastel-hued pacifist

Posted Dec 4, 17 · OP · Last edited Feb 27, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+2,894
If anything I'd say the Inquest have the right to show up to pretty much any meeting. They're not outlawed outside of Asura administrated territory, and the fact they're represented on the Arcane Council would probably make attempting to remove them from a public place (while not doing anything illegal) at least diplomatic incident worthy. Svanir could presumably get away with showing up in Hoelbrak but not anywhere else, and the other villain groups are not going to be able to show up at all unless they do so incognito. I'd put Mordant Crescent into this category as well, since their monarch is currently engaging in a military invasion of Tyria, and working against this invasion is likely to be a big part of the MoM's purpose for the forseeable future. Extending them an invitation doesn't seem like it would make much sense in this context.

On the topic of group sizes, I can definitely sympathise with not enjoying the chat spam. Insisting that groups are only allowed to bring a couple of delegates has the unfortunate side effect of restricting a lot of the rp value of such an event, and excluding a potentially significant number of people. An alternative is to be strict about the rule asking people not to use public channels for private talk, and have each group appoint a delegate to speak publicly for them. In an ideal situation you end up with groups talking in /p or /d amongst themselves, and the /s and /e chat is all directly relevant to all attendees. I'm not seriously suggesting that this will happen, as this is a hard rule to enforce and a proportion of people tend not to want to follow it, but it can at least help keep things reasonable without excluding the majority of players from even showing up to watch.

In addition, cutting out the lengthy introduction phase that used to consume half the meeting or more will probably remove a lot of the more objectionable chatter, as in theory it will help keep people focused on the discussion that's actually relevant to why we're all there.
Ingjald Firebeard
~The Magpie Mercenaries~
Posted Mar 9, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+1,499
I'd point out the inquest have caused issues with many other groups (setting up labs, experimenting, etc). So I don't see why they'd be allowed in if they are openly displaying themselves as inquest.

They've raided and attacked lionguard, so I can't see them being accepted in LA, for example. Infact, it almost seems like a lot of groups basically go "Kill on sight" for inquest.

Course, the inquest are in a very weird spot as the living story episodes keep giving them more and more manpower, so it's unclear why the inquest don't control all of the Asura society anyway :p.
GW2 home server- Sorrow's Furnance Kalavier.1097
The Noble The SurvivorThe Commander

Feedback is great, and helps to improve us. If something seems off in my bios, come poke me and discuss it! If something is awesome, tell me! :)
Posted Mar 9, 18
Pogs:
+263
I've been thinking about this event, apologies in advance if I'm teaching you how to suck eggs here but here are some suggestions I have for you...

Questions laid out before the event.

You are not telling people what they can and can't RP, you are instead directing the conversation/debate so it stays on course and doesn't go off on a tangent. It also means that people who turn up, will know beforehand what will be asked of them and can prepare beforehand, meaning there is less chance of waffle.

Plus, if you structure your questions right, it will also mean you can prevent people from Metagaming without them even realising it.

Speakers use squad chat and only when it is their turn to talk.

This will prevent messages getting lost in the sea of comments,will make it easier for you to moderate the discussion and also we can moderate what we see so it solves the issue Tzhar has.

Give people a limit of 500 characters, per question.

In game, this the player hitting the character limit twice in squad chat. The goal here is too keep people on topic and for people to get to the point. This solves the other issue Tzhar mentioned where speakers have to make sure that what they're saying is on topic and less about them advertising their guild.
4062276.jpg

Posted Mar 10, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+2,690
Benefactor
Right. Several things I think I should chip in. First up the common sense issue for me is laughable. What I consider common sense and what someone else thinks common sense is really up in the air. I don't always agree on such matters with Zagzag and I've been running a guild with the dude for nearly four years now. That said I really respect Robin's position on this. I get not wanting to take responsibility in dictating what is appropriate and what isn't. I sure as fuck wouldn't dare host this and I give Robin mad props for doing this. Anything she needs from me, she has it.

I'm kind of inclined to agree with Zagzag that we could maybe pull off setting some standards as to what can be discussed and what can't. Hell, just making it clear that what we consider common sense is don't tell us anything that seems to be limited to the Commander and his little circle is a step in the right direction and an improvement on the old MoM. Ultimately whatever is decided in this regard wont be a deal breaker for me. Like Tzar I think that we can roll with stuff that we'll have to hand wave away just fine.

Now on a couple of specific points that have been discussed, personally I find it silly to think that Inquest can't show up where they want, when they want. They are a part of the goverment of what I would personally argue is the most advanced and powerful nation in all of Tyria. As others have mentioned, blocking them from showing up at a public place would be a diplomatic issue to say the least, most definately in Rata Sum. That said, the MoM doesn't have to be a public forum. It could IC be for a select few. If that is the case blocking certain groups can make sense, if it is public on the other hand, it only makes sense if the individuals attending are criminals, and individual Inquest are not and neither is the group as a whole. On other "criminal" groups Zagzag and others have me covered, but the Inquest issue always annoys me in particular.

One final note. I do not want to have to count the characters I type before RP, again would probably not be a deal breaker, but probably the biggest annoyance for me. I'd much rather sit through someone's long winded question than go through word count to RP.
WqLb6AO.gif
Posted Mar 12, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+1,542
Word count is also an issue for me and sure as heck won't be considered.

Mainly because I have a learning disability and hate math of any kind. So no, No I am not limiting anyone's words because Please do not make me count for the love of the Pale Tree don't.

As for Squad-chat. While the different colour is super-useful and I do tend to use it at times for dm'ing events.

..I wouldn't really use it for a public event due to the issue of /squad having a number limit and the fact that passer bys, (Who I want to tempt into watching/joining maybe. yes.) would not be able to see it unless dragged in. I can see why it would be suggested though. That bright yellow text is -very- easy to catch.

I also agree on the inquest thing. because. Well. Gee I don't know it just makes sense. Certainly doesn't have anything to do with my dear-beloved Nurrai who I used to help host the old MoM on. Nope certainly nothing to do with that little inquest dear at all nope. /s

Giving it a think, How would this sound:

On the event-page I will post a small "agenda", Typically Three/four depending on what the releases give us. One of which would be a "free-talk" section for near the end of every meeting where people could pipe in with their own subject that may have been missed? (But again anything that is restricted to the "only the commander and Dragons's watch would know" would be disallowed).

Would that work for everyone?
Gametag: RobinTair.1806

Truu: Pact soldier turned merc
Diathi: Mender, Gardener, Troublemaker.
Laossi: Pastel-hued pacifist

Posted Mar 12, 18 · OP
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+922
wrote:
On the event-page I will post a small "agenda", Typically Three/four depending on what the releases give us. One of which would be a "free-talk" section for near the end of every meeting where people could pipe in with their own subject that may have been missed? (But again anything that is restricted to the "only the commander and Dragons's watch would know" would be disallowed).

Would that work for everyone?

I believe this would give the attending parties enough of a frame to work with. Should this agenda it turn out that this agenda may offer too little or too much freedom, I'd assume that can always be discussed and changed later down the line.

wrote:
I also agree on the inquest thing. because. Well. Gee I don't know it just makes sense. Certainly doesn't have anything to do with my dear-beloved Nurrai who I used to help host the old MoM on. Nope certainly nothing to do with that little inquest dear at all nope. /s

From where I stand this only makes sense if the conditions that Scarlet already outlined are present, meaning that it's a public forum IC that everyone can attend. If it wasn't, and we are to assume that there are invitations being handed out (which you'd either write PMs for or handwave as 'every good natured guild got one'), only those with an invitation would be expected/allowed to attend.

Considering that the Pact(?) is the host of this iteration, I'd argue that the second approach makes more sense: the Pact isn't known to play nice with the Inquest or any other factions that threaten the lives of Tyrians, so giving one of their enemies an opening to attend and possibly mess with their meeting, or find out information that they shouldn't, seems like something they might want to avoid. Whether you agree with this assessment and believe it's in the spirit of what you want to do with this MoM is entirely your call, of course.
YVXCgfZ.png
Posted Mar 13, 18 · Last edited Mar 13, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+727
I have a tiny little note about the Pact hosting the event, because TACH is a Vigil guild, and therefore part of the Pact. I'll be representing parts of the Pact's standpoint, because that's a natural extension of representing the Vigil.
And as an extension of that, we pretty much just treat the Inquest as a hostile force, the only exception being within Rata Sum. I mean, we've been in open conflict with Inquest virtually since inception, and consider Inquest operations to be hostile targets when and where we discover them.
Ashen Chapter [TACH]

TyrusVE.8742
Posted Mar 14, 18
Pogs:
+19
Maybe I missed this in the above-posted posts, but isn't it possible just to eh.. duplicate the MoM but then for Villains?
People discuss why or why not Inquest, svanir, Renegades, Seps, Flame, Nightmare etc etc should attend and that doesn't seem to work out.
So why not just split it. All good-neutral-whatever-people can discuss the turn of events, while all evul-awful-villainous-people do the same, at another time, at another place.

As for anyone who doesn't know what good or evil is:
Good lifeforms:
- Pact, Blood-Ash-Iron Legion, normal-law-abiding citizens of Kryta and Elona, Normal Norn -that includes the drunkards who sometimes randomly try to kill you IC, Dreamers and Soundless, Half of the skritts we come across, some Grawl tribes, a bunch of Ogres, the three schools of statics, dynamics and synergetics -or something- and probably a whole other bunch which I can't think of right now.
Bad lifeforms:
-Svanir, Pirates -not included ICRP pirates-, Nightmare court, Renegades, Flame, Seps, Inquest, Harpies, the other half of the skritt we find, most of the grawl and ogre tribes, bandits, Dredge, dragonminions.. etc etc.

The fact that some of them are allowed in major cities, doesn't give way to let them join a pact-organized dramafes-..Imean-calm and friendly gathering of random people or guilds.

Just sayin'~
Posted Mar 15, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+2,690
Benefactor
We can call it Scarletfest*. Or the great stinky melting pot. But yes all jokes aside I fully agree with Shades here. If we're gathering to combat the crisis afflicting Tyria, it makes sense to have lawful people working together with a track record of being helpful, not troublemakers, or at the very least individuals with a neutral reputation. Last year Veera organised a lovely criminal bazaar and invited the Magpies to participate, we declined because while it sounded great, it really didn't fit with the Magpies. Not every character needs to fit every RP event.

*I'm referencing Scarlet Briar, not the awesome mercenary known as Scarletwolf, who never talks about herself in the third person, no, no.
WqLb6AO.gif
Posted Mar 16, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Page
of 3
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices