Recent Threads
Main Forum
Page
of 3

Clothing Guide for noobs?

21 replies
Pogs:
+3
To me, one of the reasons MMORPG's are so good for Role playing is the ability to customize the appearance of your character. GW2 is great at this at the beginning. So my wife and I started playing. But she wanted a different outfit. So did I. Not to worry, I was sure there would be a merchant somewhere selling crappy low level outfits.

Thats how it was in LOTRO. Sure the best outfits could only be purchased in the gem shop (mithril shop) but there were plenty of ways to get other lesser outfits that would work for you. Merchants, faction shops, and a cosmetic wardrobe sytem that would allow you to create an outfit using equipment or cosmetics that would overlay your current equipment even when you switched it up. Wonderful.

GW2 has boasted about it's wardrobe system so I was excited. Except now that I'm playing, I havn't been able to figure out how it works. Even looking online and asking other players. As near as I can tell, the only way to really be able to customize your character's appearance is either to pay real money, or play to level 80 once, and to level 2 like eight times.

Am I missing something? Could an experianced player here explain how the wardrobe and outfit systems work, and maybe what the easiest and quickest way to get a customized outfit is? Honestly the stuff the NPC's wear looks great. I'd like that. I don't want my character attending parties or relaxing in armor all the time, and my wife would like for her character to be wearing more clothes.

Is any of this possible? Should I just go back to LOTRO for my RP?
Posted Dec 22, 17 · OP
Pogs:
+1,132
The wardrobe system in GW2 is pretty great! If you go to the Bank in the major cities, you will see on the left hand side, the Wardrobe system available. Allowing you to preview all the different types of armor that are available in game, whether through completing story quests doing the Personal Story, Crafting, Dungeon, WvW, PvP, or also buying through the gem store.

Unfortunately, most outfits worn by NPCs are not available to us. R I P. But, there are plenty of cheap options you can purchase on the Black Lion Trading Post (BLTP). Look at those options first, I recommend first of all, since you're a new player trying to find some fashionable gear.

Karma is another currency that you can obtain different armors from karma vendors. Completing those heart quests all over the zones, talk to them, and some of them offer different armor sets!

GW2 also has what's known as Transmutation Charges, that once you have unlocked a skin, you have that skin unlocked forever, so even if you delete that armor or salvage it for crafting materials, later you can still apply that old skin onto a new piece of gear. If you log in every day, you get daily rewards and sometimes they will hold these Transmutation Charges inside. Or if you get 100% map completion in the main racial cities and other maps - you can get some as a reward. This is for later down the road when you have really awesome gear, but want to reflect your own style onto the armor with a different skin.

There's a lot of different skins, and you should be able to find something as you play the game through Personal Story as well as talking to the karma vendors and if you want, eventually crafting armors as well.

Any game content you enjoy, you should be able to also obtain cool skins through it.

It's hard to explain all in one go, but if you ever want to chat more about it - feel free to whisper me at silver.7895 in game!
silver.7895 - Cervato - Her Story - The Tyrian Accord
Posted Dec 22, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+57
I suggest looking for a clothing tonic on the trading post. Some of them are pretty expensive, but the cheapest is under 1g and you can trade it in for an outfit in lion’s arch near the trading post npc’s.
Posted Dec 22, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+4,045
Unless you're finding an armor that both has the looks and the stats you want for your character, you'll have to use transmutation charges to look the way you want. They basically transform the apperance of one item, into another. As simple as that. And they can be earned through map completion (finding all the Points of Interest and vistas, completing all the hearts and collecting all hero points. To change your armor apperance, open your hero panel (H key by default), and in the armor tab, open the wardrobe tab. There, you'll be able to preview the customization of your character's clothing, and dye it the way you want. Also, once you unlock the appearance for one item, you can use said appearance on any character, regardless of if you still have the item or not.
I don't want my character attending parties or relaxing in armor all the time

If your class is heavy armor, you'll unfortunately have to get used to that. Since the removal of town clothes a couple years back (that you could dye the way you wanted), heavy armor classes are forever condemned to stay in their tin can appearance whatever they do. Unless, of course, you buy a magnificent outfit in the gem store that will cost you real money. Or if you spend half your gold savings in a tonic that will indeed change your clothes, but with the impossibility to dye them the colors you want. Such is GW2 nowadays, that is focusing a lot more on gem store items than it did in the past.
Piken Square
Aelius Brightmane | Cailean Angelonia | Evi Velvetpaw | Growl Bladeskin | Kristopher Lockhart | Demolitionist Lhymm | Maelon Amaryllis | Inquisitor Moltenclaw | Bioenhancer Mukhin | Mikael Shineblood | Ichomancer Zhuliss | Sceledrus Irontail | Sulyenn Nightborn | Tilaw Stainsoul | Chronoanalyst Vekk | Vethorn Ulfkelson | Zehim El Khouri
Posted Dec 22, 17 · Last edited Dec 23, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+57
Actually, you can trade the tonics in for outfits now. They look like the tonic, but work like all the other outfits. I have the basic town clothes one, which is what I was suggesting because it’s the cheapest.
Posted Dec 22, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+307
wrote:
Actually, you can trade the tonics in for outfits now. They look like the tonic, but work like all the other outfits. I have the basic town clothes one, which is what I was suggesting because it’s the cheapest.

Seriously? And when did that even become a thing? Because holy crap I miss town clothes. >.<
Posted Dec 23, 17
Pogs:
+1,554
wrote:
wrote:

Seriously? And when did that even become a thing? Because holy crap I miss town clothes. >.<
Happened during the release of Daybreak so fairly recently!
Gametag: RobinTair.1806

Truu: Pact soldier turned merc
Diathi: Mender, Gardener, Troublemaker.
Laossi: Pastel-hued pacifist

Posted Dec 23, 17
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+3
Would you mind explaining a little bit more step by step how to get to that point? You get the tonics from Black Lion trading company... which you need... gold? higher level? to explore a certain section of the map to get? And then you trade it back in for the actual outfit... same place?

I have realized that I probably do need to play to at least level 30 before I can really start trying to change my character's appearance probably. (And thanks to everyone who has posted! Thank you very much!)
Posted Dec 24, 17 · OP
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+307
Tonics are bought from the trading post at this point for gold. When I checked yesterday only the "common" clothing was cheap. The other tonics have had their prices driven up to 400g+ but you might get lucky. You can earn your gold playing and crafting, selling on the tp or you can use real money to buy gems and trade them for gold if you're desperate and happen to have real money.

There are no level requirements or anything like that for tonics as they were initially out-of-combat clothing sold for money & therefore useable by anyone.

If you want a look at them go to the trading post in Lion's Arch and there will be a little asura there that you can talk to; he'll bring up a list of the tonics and you can right click to see what they'd look like (bear in mind that you can change colors and hide hats/gloves if you actually but the tonic).
Posted Dec 24, 17
Pogs:
+1,513
I have extra town clothing tonics you can have for free. They are the basic common clothing ones you can turn into a dyable outfit for something that isn't armor.
Posted Dec 26, 17
Page
of 3
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices