Recent Threads
Main Forum
Page
of 4

World Restructuring - What does this mean for us?

34 replies
Pogs:
+1,253
wrote:
WvW is dying from a lack of people playing it. Because game has been losing players. Solving the problem would be bringing the players back, changing how the world system works is just a bandaid on a wooden leg.
Yes, the lack of players is killing it. Part of the reason for the lack of players is lack of good matches also because there are too many match ups so what's left of the pop is spread out too thin.

So by changing how the world system works it will consolidate players and hopefully improve match making. This should also bring back people who have quit like me.
Posted Feb 1, 18 · Last edited Feb 1, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+374
I honestly don't think anything is going to change from how it is now for role players or PvE players.

Let's be real, how much does your home server really affect things right now, outside of WvW and your PvE map sorting prior to joining guilds/parties and building up a friends list of fellow role players?

The sorting system for various map shards seems to account for guilds and friendships (and maybe habits of what maps you have joined into with the past, even with players not on your friends list) more than it does your home world. I've been on Jade Quarry now for almost a month, and I'm still always sorted into the RP instance in Divinity's Reach and finding random open world RP - no need to be on Tarnished Coast.

Don't get me wrong - the Megaserver system may have caused some issues on launch, but overall I don't think it's horrible, and it's incredibly easy to work around. All you need is a guild or a few friends who do get sorted to the right instances, even if you don't, and you'll have no problem finding RP.

Even if that doesn't work out for you, have people forgotten the handy dandy RP LFG that ArenaNet gave us a while ago? It shouldn't be too hard to post a "Looking for DR RP instance" post in there, or advertise yourself as a taxi for such. And don't start with the "But the trolls will find us" talk. They already will now. Yes, they are butt holes, but we can learn to ignore them just as we have been for years.
Nouozbl.gif
Leader of Amnoon Hunting Lodge
Guild Wars 2: Skadi.8279
Posted Feb 1, 18 · Last edited Feb 1, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+43
Here is my forum post with my concerns. Show yours!
Also, Amarae Laskaris made a very good point. If RPers could identify with an alliance system and have it set for RP, this would be an improvement over the current system. Either way, it's either an improvement or a killing blow to us.
unknown.png
Posted Feb 1, 18
Pogs:
+1,253
These changes won't do anything to RP... Megaservers have been around for years and a lot of RPers aren't even on TC since it used to be locked or they want to WvW with friends.

Just look at every post where someone asks what server to join on these forums. Do you think we were lying when we told them it makes no difference other than in WvW?
Posted Feb 1, 18
Pogs:
+20
since they are replacing server pride with Aliance pride, being in an RP Aliance could be something to both be proud of and lead to more inter-guild rp.
My Roleplay characters:
Charr: Alexa SplinterSteel, Vita Splintervein, Aziel Splintershot, Sasha Splintersoul, Veros Splitnight, Manus Greatmaul.
Asura: Sentinel Gabby, Captain Blimm, Kasimira Morana, Artificer Cass.
Sylvari: Enya Hallion, Velena Maxwell.
Human: Kyree Eran
Norn: Arnora Laugarbrekka
Posted Feb 2, 18
Pogs:
+4,043
wrote:
wrote:
WvW is dying from a lack of people playing it. Because game has been losing players. Solving the problem would be bringing the players back, changing how the world system works is just a bandaid on a wooden leg.
Yes, the lack of players is killing it. Part of the reason for the lack of players is lack of good matches also because there are too many match ups so what's left of the pop is spread out too thin.

So by changing how the world system works it will consolidate players and hopefully improve match making. This should also bring back people who have quit like me.

The thing is, for how long?

As I said, the issue comes from a lack of players. Sure, grouping all the players together might make it look more lively, and bring back some more people who gave up before. But how long this effect will last? Because the deep issue with this, with lacking people to play it, is coming from the game losing its playerbase. So, as long as that issue, of people leaving, won't be somewhat solved, that solution of grouping people together won't last in the long term. As long as the game doesn't have serious updates, people will keep leaving for other games, and WvW will eventually be deserted again.
Piken Square
Aelius Brightmane | Cailean Angelonia | Evi Velvetpaw | Growl Bladeskin | Kristopher Lockhart | Demolitionist Lhymm | Maelon Amaryllis | Inquisitor Moltenclaw | Bioenhancer Mukhin | Mikael Shineblood | Ichomancer Zhuliss | Sceledrus Irontail | Sulyenn Nightborn | Tilaw Stainsoul | Chronoanalyst Vekk | Vethorn Ulfkelson | Zehim El Khouri
Posted Feb 2, 18 · Last edited Feb 2, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+1,512
Well, some WvW groups quit because they got annoyed by being outnumbered all the time.
GW2 home server- Sorrow's Furnance Kalavier.1097
The Noble The SurvivorThe Commander

Feedback is great, and helps to improve us. If something seems off in my bios, come poke me and discuss it! If something is awesome, tell me! :)
Posted Feb 2, 18
Pogs:
+442
> @"McKenna Berdrow.2759" said:
> > @"Twyn.7320" said:
> > Just for clarification: Is this just locked to WvW, or will it affect every other map in the game? So, if this system was a thing in the Crystal Oasis, would it have World 1, World 2 and World 3? And players from World 3 couldn't join World 1 if it had 90%+ capacity?
>
> This is just for WvW. PvE will function as it does currently.

You're welcome! ;)
Im5RX8P.png
Posted Feb 3, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+2,915
wrote:
> @"McKenna Berdrow.2759" said:
> > @"Twyn.7320" said:
> > Just for clarification: Is this just locked to WvW, or will it affect every other map in the game? So, if this system was a thing in the Crystal Oasis, would it have World 1, World 2 and World 3? And players from World 3 couldn't join World 1 if it had 90%+ capacity?
>
> This is just for WvW. PvE will function as it does currently.

You're welcome! ;)
Saying it will function as it does currently doesn't really resolve the main open question that is likely to affect PvE players, and rpers in particular.

Right now your home server is one of, if not the biggest determining factor in which maps you are placed in. After these changes go through everyone will still have a "home server", but this home server will be reassigned every 8 weeks and will have a randomly generated name. The real question is if the temporary 8 week lifespan "home servers" will continue to have an impact on PvE map selection, or if it will purely be based on language/guild/friends in the future.

Nobody seems to be suggesting that you won't be able to taxi to join your friends/guild exactly as you can now, but this might (depending entirely on how it's implemented, it's too early to say anything for sure) make taxiing required significantly more often than it is now, especially if you end up on a different server than your friends/guildmates (which seems like a distinct possibility based on the information we have available to us).

There's definitely no reason to panic just yet, but there are some more questions it might be worth asking Anet. There's always the faintest chance that feedback at this stage can still affect the final design of the system.
Ingjald Firebeard
~The Magpie Mercenaries~
Posted Feb 3, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+1,315
Yeah, they're being annoyingly unclear about whether current Worlds will affect server matchmaking after this change or not.

Or whether this change affects server matchmaking it all. If it doesn't, they're just making the "old worlds" invisible on the UI, but they should make this clear imo.
1mk3oA4.png
The GFC recruitment is OPEN!

Cynthia's Apothecarium - Miraculous cures, cantrips and curses!
Posted Feb 3, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Page
of 4
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices