No users online.
Recent Threads
Main Forum
Page
of 4

World Restructuring - What does this mean for us?

34 replies
Pogs:
+966
Probably the easiest way for them to do this is to just let guilds have an RP toggle (ya know like more than half of the big MMORPGs out there already have.). If they did that it might even be better for the RP community. We'd be way more likely to find each other and we might even get less of the more obnoxious trolls because the servers would, at that point, be sorted by play style.
What this wouldn't solve is the issue of helping newbies find the community, but the Megaservers made that pretty difficult anyways.

It'd never happen but just being able to have an account or character toggle for RP/WvW/PvP/PvE would be lovely.

EDIT: Also as a primarily RPvE player who at one point DID attempt to RP in WvW it really isn't feasible. One or the other will suffer in quality and there really isn't any forgiveness in WvW like you can find from the AI for being slow and typing while you're playing.
tumblr_nla6btKxC01s7ia07o8_400.jpg
Salad Booty is the Best Booty|Pepperpatrol.2139|Tarnished Coast
Posted Feb 7, 18 · Last edited Feb 7, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+261
Probably the easiest way for them to do this is to just let guilds have an RP toggle (ya know like more than half of the big MMORPGs out there already have.). If they did that it might even be better for the RP community. We'd be way more likely to find each other and we might even get less of the more obnoxious trolls because the servers would, at that point, be sorted by play style.
What this wouldn't solve is the issue of helping newbies find the community, but the Megaservers made that pretty difficult anyways.

It'd never happen but just being able to have an account or character toggle for RP/WvW/PvP/PvE would be lovely.

EDIT: Also as a primarily RPvE player who at one point DID attempt to RP in WvW it really isn't feasible. One or the other will suffer in quality and there really isn't any forgiveness in WvW like you can find from the AI for being slow and typing while you're playing.

What was really good in WoW was the ability to put addons into the game. We had one where you could add your own bio in the game, though most RPers used them to give themselves stupid ranks and monologue about their character, it was a great way to know if someone was a RPer before you interacted with them, and the better RPers out there used it to describe traits about their character. Because this addon was so niche only the RP community really knew about it, so the chances of trolls using it was very small, as good as RP servers are, sadly they attract a lot of trolls because they know exactly where to hit.
I've learned a great way to get around trolling, when it happens to my guild we all go to party chat, turn off emotes and say and continue RPing, considering we're an RP-PvE guild...it's quite hard to troll us, unless we're in down time.

As for RP and WvW I can't really say for sure as I don't play WvW, I do a lot of RP-PvE though and I wouldn't mind knowing how similar these two are from an RPers perspective.

As when I first started the Heroes Guild, a lot of RPers I talked to who were, at first really up for the idea, looked for reasons on why the guild wouldn't work, to me, it seemed like it was more of finding excuses on why things wouldn't work instead of giving it a chance and finding way for it to work.
Being the stubborn sod I am, I stuck at it, made changes to the guild and after a month or so I'm steadily building up the guild and I'm noticing that the majority I'm getting are reasonably new RPers, all of which accept everything in game and if there are any problems will ask me "How do I RP this?" not just make dismiss it and stick their heels in. This has resulted in things like doing a IC fractal with just 4 people and even though the majority of it is no one talking but focusing on the fight, the little comments made when we can, make it all that much more interesting.

When it comes to WvW, the only bit I've done was with a zerg and I remember doing a bunch of fights with a large group and then the fight was over and I was told to come back in a few hours or roam around a bit. If I was passionate about WvW wouldn't you use the down time to RP and the rest be about the journey to the big fight?
4004694.jpg
Posted Feb 7, 18
Pogs:
+3,971
As when I first started the Heroes Guild, a lot of RPers I talked to who were, at first really up for the idea, looked for reasons on why the guild wouldn't work, to me, it seemed like it was more of finding excuses on why things wouldn't work instead of giving it a chance and finding way for it to work.
Being the stubborn sod I am, I stuck at it, made changes to the guild and after a month or so I'm steadily building up the guild and I'm noticing that the majority I'm getting are reasonably new RPers, all of which accept everything in game and if there are any problems will ask me "How do I RP this?" not just make dismiss it and stick their heels in. This has resulted in things like doing a IC fractal with just 4 people and even though the majority of it is no one talking but focusing on the fight, the little comments made when we can, make it all that much more interesting.

It's nice and all, but completely unrelated to the actual topic of discussion, which is world system restructuration and potential impact on the game.
Piken Square RPer!
Growl Bladeskin | Aelius Brightmane | Tilaw Stainsoul | Evi Shadowstep | Sceledrus Irontail | Inquisitor Moltenclaw | Demolitionist Lhymm | Ichomancer Zhuliss | Bioenhancer Mukhin | Sulyenn Nightborn | Cailean Angelonia | Maelon Amaryllis | Vethorn Ulfkelson | Mikael Shineblood | Kristopher Lockhart
Pogs:
+966

As for RP and WvW I can't really say for sure as I don't play WvW, I do a lot of RP-PvE though and I wouldn't mind knowing how similar these two are from an RPers perspective.

... as a primarily RPvE player who at one point DID attempt to RP in WvW...

The thing is is that in WvW there aren't overflow maps (or at the very least they don't work the same way for balance reasons) so while in the past I've worked to fill a PvE map with RPers to do IC map metas that's simply not something that can (or should) be done in WvW. If you aren't actively roaming or completing objectives you need to leave the map so people who want to can do that. There are people who will run around alone or in small groups to take the smaller objectives while the enemy's zergs are gone during these "downtimes" and they help the server's over all point tick. It's probably one of the better opportunities for roamers because there isn't as much of a likelihood of being flattened by a zerg and if they meet someone else it's probably another group of roamers they have a chance to feasibly defeat.

So basically, even if you could develop the finger dexterity needed common courtesy dictates that you shouldn't. At the end of the day RP really is glorified idling and if we want other ppl to stop complaining about us we really shouldn't start actively hindering their ability to play the game. In WvW if you aren't helping...You're hindering.

ALL THAT BEING SAID

Pending on how they handle it this restructure has the potential to actually really be beneficial to us because, again, it will more easily ensure that we all start getting put into the same "servers" for megaserver allocation. This, imo, has an actual chance of happening bc our interests are actually being considered this time. I'm secretly hoping in my deepest heart of hearts that this might bring back the smorgesbord of pick up RP outside of towns and cities that was TC in 2013-2014. This also has the potential to put us with random newbies that might become interested in RP as a result of being on a "server" with an RP alliance for 8 weeks and community growth is definitely one of the things we've needed sorely since before Heart of Thorns. Being caught RPing in the open world was how I recruited 90% of my old guild's members pre megaserver.

Will this actually happen? Probably not. It isn't 2013 anymore.

So I guess you could call me skeptical, but hopeful.

(And I mean if RP guilds and alliances DO get allocated into the same Worlds and are prioritized to fight EACH OTHER then ...maybe??? RP in WvW could become feasible? But there's a surprisingly large amount of competitive WvWers in the RP community so I wouldn't count on not getting ganked if you try to sit and chat for any length of time.)
tumblr_nla6btKxC01s7ia07o8_400.jpg
Salad Booty is the Best Booty|Pepperpatrol.2139|Tarnished Coast
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+261
PePPerPatrol
I would say it's very possible, from what you've described it sounds "somewhat" similar to how we do RP-PvE but instead of effecting the server, it effects us. RP in the downtime and when it doesn't effect gameplay, as that's the most realistic/immersive way to do it but also make sure you do as much RP as possible otherwise, you might as well just stay OOC the whole time.
Spoiler: SpoilerShow

That said, you will certainly have your work cut out for you. You will get a lot of naysayers from both the WvW community and sadly even the RP community and it will most likely be due to the "quality of RPers", (aka new rpers that join the guild) that conflict with the ones that believe they're better. From my own experience as a guild leader I love the new RPers, as they're very passionate about RP and more accepting to new ideas, which you will need when building a new RP community.

I'm not much of a WvW person, truth be told I've never really given it a good go outside of zergs and until my own guild grows I need to focus more on PvE right now, but if you ever need a hand, writing up a guide or a second opinion on an idea, always feel free to message me.
4004694.jpg
Posted Feb 8, 18
Page
of 4
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices