Recent Threads
Main Forum
Page
of 3

Whats your character creation process?

27 replies
Pogs:
+322
I was wondering about what everyones creative process was for establishing a new character for RP. Perhaps how you get the creative juices flowing, coming up with the initial concept, the details, backstory, flaws, the elimination process for certain ideas etc.
Posted Feb 26, 18 · OP · Last edited Feb 26, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+59
Kaz is actually an expy from my own bundle of various charas-but the lore-adjustment process was likely the same as creating a new character-lore-checking, bouncing ideas off friends, etc.
Her journal is behind-I'm sorry.
Posted Feb 26, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+179
Usually, it starts with a boner.
*entitlement intensifies*

Posted Feb 26, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+1,253
I make hot waifu and then think of a story/character traits based off of what sounds fun to write.
Posted Feb 26, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+1,132
Playing around in the character creator is where I typically start off. Then the following goes through my head:

• Where did they come from?
  • How old are they?
  • Where do they live now?
  • Do they have a family? (e.g. Parents, siblings, cousins, etc.)
  • What are their aspirations in life?
  • What is their current job or are they unemployed?
  • What are they good at?
  • What are they bad at?
  • Do they have any values they absolutely will never break (e.g. at least for now, since I love wrecking characters myself)
  • Do they have any sort of education? What is it?

Most of the time, I find I flesh my characters out actively roleplaying them by coming up with details right on the spot, which is a lot of fun. But I do like imagining all the details of my character, even though I may never share them with anyone else.
silver.7895 - Cervato - Her Story - The Tyrian Accord
Posted Feb 26, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+29
I have a blank character template I apply to most of my characters to get an idea of a background, but before that even happens I need inspiration. Inspiration can strike from anywhere, be it a game, song, or story. One of my favorite concepts that I've yet to do anything with was lifted from Dark Souls, the idea of an immortal character doomed to suffer death and be reborn over and over.

After I start with a concept I tend to look at archetypes and character tropes among my roster and see where they would fit in and be different from characters I currently have. I don't really care to have two super sassy or very good boi characters at a time because to me the first already fulfills that story telling element. So I focus on fitting concept and archetype together in a way that makes sense, and sometimes is a unique rendition of a character. If I can't really find a good mesh between those two facets of a character I'll discard it, or back burner it for a while. A good concept I found fun to knock around was wanting a druid, or a 'balance' oriented character and combining that with an aggressive or chaotic disposition, something like an Outlaw Druid in the end.

Finally once I have the big picture settled upon I get into the nitty gritty details with my template:

Name:
Current Residence:
Family: Robert
Physical Description:
Relationship Status:
Family Background:
Friends:
Other Relationships:
Job:
Style:
Religion:
Hobby/Pastimes:
Favorite Food:
Strongest Positive Personality Trait:
Strongest Negative Personality Trait:
Humor:
Temper:
Ambition:
Philosophy of life:

After filling this out and adding any other quirks or ideas I had for the character that influences direct interaction with them I tend to flesh them out through some initially roleplaying sessions before settling more firmly on the concept overall.
Posted Feb 26, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+322
Id say my favourite way to create is to bounce ideas off others, its fun and you can come up with some great ideas that can be useful elsewhere if not for the immediate thing.
Posted Feb 26, 18 · OP
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+980
After I have made a hot waifu I decide what archetype she looks like and lunge into RP immediately. Eventually, when I have pretended to have a deep character long enough it has collected enough unique traits that it actually does seem like a human. I then drag and drop a history and everyone is so impressed bc I hid that deep, compelling story about the human condition SO WELL never knowing that I literally pulled it from the deepest recesses of my anatomy two months or more after I started playing it.

(AKA I do everything wrong and backwards)
tumblr_nla6btKxC01s7ia07o8_400.jpg
Salad Booty is the Best Booty|Pepperpatrol.2139|Tarnished Coast
Posted Feb 26, 18 · Last edited Feb 27, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+5,334
wrote:
I was wondering about what everyones creative process was for establishing a new character for RP. Perhaps how you get the creative juices flowing, coming up with the initial concept, the details, backstory, flaws, the elimination process for certain ideas etc.

• fiddle with makeover kit
  • like the new look
  • flip through a dozen naming sites
  • pick none of the recommended names
  • play Fashion Wars until out of transmutation charges
  • write some introductory piece on tumblr that fails to do anything actually introductory
  • scrEAMING???
  • rinse and repeat

Bonus Feature: Discover the true depths of depravity I'm able to sink to after three months of RP and realize my soul will never be cleansed.

...rinse and repeat.
"I just love writing. It's magical, it's somewhere else to go, it's somewhere much more dreadful, somewhere much more exciting. Somewhere I feel I belong, possibly more than in the so-called real world." ~Tanith Lee

Angel's Collection ღ | ღ Nobles of Ascalon ღ | ღ Annalei d'Latu
Posted Feb 26, 18 · Last edited Feb 26, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+2,777
I came up with the name 'Flintlock Burnfur' before launch. I had the character made before I had the backstory, it just came as I played for a bit and got used to the game and the world itself. The rest pretty much just came from off the cuff interactions and thinking to myself 'let's take my charr into the tea shop in Shaemoore and see what happens.' And it kinda just went from there.
tumblr_phjrisFT7y1tg2mtpo1_1280.jpg
Posted Feb 27, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Page
of 3
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices