Recent Threads
Main Forum
Page
of 4

Season 4 and episode 2 a bug in the system - [SPOILERS]

36 replies
Pogs:
+37
I think I largely disagree with the assessment that Anet makes a habit of pulling the rug out of it's races, in fact i'd argue that what most people seem to want is a lack of nuance to PoF for some reasons. Yes the gods left, yes they aren't going to interfere, yet people ignore the reasons they left on the basis they were dumb for reasons never properly explained. Kormir goes out of her way to demonstrate how a release of god energy started the entire cycle of draconic awakening, how the fighting between two great powers turned the very land we were walking on into a desert. Hell, you could reasonably subtitle the entirety of Path of Fire as 'The gods were right, you idiots.' as Balthazar staying has only made the situation considerably worse, and Balthazar was on lockdown until a certain Misotheist race accidentally busted him out. This is classic world of cardboard writing, if the gods do something then everyone here is just going to die.

As for the Olmakhan, they aren't really perfect. They aren't even defending their land from Rata Primus really as they are so absorbed in giving things the right to grow that many of them are shoving off for the north. Their nature magic is powerful, but not powerful enough to stop the Asura from demolishing their village. They are only saved when outsiders, one of whom is a Legion Charr mind you, saves them through violence. They aren't pushovers, but they aren't perfect. Their ideology just points out something Anet itself has basically said, while our individual Charr are heroic the Charr Legions at the moment are villain protagonists who are transitioning into a better state of society.

It's pretty much always been that way, and i'v been consistently baffled by the idea that it was otherwise. They're a species with the history and population of the Steppe Hordes with the industrialization and ultra-nationalism of some of the worst fascist regimes, combined with a political system that resembles what I can only describe as inverted totalitarianism, it's like Rome during the Year of the Four Emperors, which is kind of ironic considering it's themes. That's less a society, more akin to mob rule, and the good Charr we met in the base game more often then not tended to be weird outsiders from that culture.

At least to me the Olmakhan were a logical conclusion, like the sun rising and setting, they were bound to happen unless Charr were predisposed to being psychotic.
Posted Mar 20, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+1,541
I'm sort of baffled on why people are so huffy over the Olmakhan.
..Isn't giving the races more depth and complexity via differing cultures and nations previously undiscovered and have a different way of life a good thing?. (Which happens coincidentally even in our own world)

I'm also not seeing where they are supposedly more perfect and better then the Legion charr. I mean, Kalla proved them wrong and the legions are now one of the power-houses of the world.

..compared to one tribe. Admittedly said tribe is powerful in nature magic. but their influence is pretty minor and they have their problems as well.
All it's really doing to furthering what so many of us have been shouting since day one: All of the races are an have always been more then just the stereotypes the players push onto them.

Could they have been better foreshadowed? Maybe. But the entire point of them was that they where hidden and undiscovered until now. so foreshadowing would have.. put a dampener on that.

I'm actually hoping the other races get similar differing cultures. It'll only bring even more potential and flavour to roleplay~
Gametag: RobinTair.1806

Truu: Pact soldier turned merc
Diathi: Mender, Gardener, Troublemaker.
Laossi: Pastel-hued pacifist

Posted Mar 21, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+2,757
I don't think the Olmakhan way of life is better than Legion charr, and I don't think they feel that way either. I think the Olmakhan way of life is better for them. They adapt better with the way they have lived than they would had they remained in the Legions. I think it's wonderful to find another group of charr that's very different to what we've seen. Even the fact that these charr befriended humans, as can be seen with Ewyn when he tends to the monuments to his fallen companions.

As has been said, these charr are not the perfect society. But then Legion charr society is far from perfect either.

It is like the real world. Different nations have different cultures and different ways of approaching problems and finding solutions. Even in game, the Krytan humans are vastly different in culture from the Elonan humans, and one could probably safely assume that the Canthan humans are also vastly different. Even back in Guild Wars Prophecies, the Ascalonian humans were different from Krytan humans, so much so to the point they were at war several times. Even the humans of Orr were different culturally.

Having the diversity of culture is great for a game. It gives it way more colour and forces people to realize that the stereotypes we end up with about a race aren't always the norm.
1513958877_flintlock.jpg
Posted Mar 21, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+429
When it's forced, not so. The Olmakhan feel forced and that's all there really is to it even if it's 'good' for there to be variations in culture. Which, by the by, there already IS in Legion Charr. Iron, Ash, Blood? Why can't ArenaNet just wait and play up those variations and differences, at least then it actively involves the playable faction of charr. Which is the other issue that keeps cropping up.
Valis Hollington
Posted Mar 21, 18 · Last edited Mar 21, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+2,757
I think we'll have to agree to disagree, because it never felt forced at all to me. I didn't need a build up or a hint in previous episodes or seasons at all. It was just there and my only reaction was "cool, this is different."

I would like to point out, however, that there really isn't much cultural difference between Iron, Ash and Blood. It feels more like high school basketball team rivalries from towns thirty to forty minutes apart. Everything about their military and the way they raise their children and how they go about their business is presented as being exactly the same. The only difference is one charr is wearing an Iron Legion T-Shirt, the one over there has on a Blood Legion T-Shirt, while the other is wearing an Ash Legion T-Shirt.
1513958877_flintlock.jpg
Posted Mar 21, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+183
wrote:
When it's forced, not so. The Olmakhan feel forced and that's all there really is to it even if it's 'good' for there to be variations in culture. Which, by the by, there already IS in Legion Charr. Iron, Ash, Blood? Why can't ArenaNet just wait and play up those variations and differences, at least then it actively involves the playable faction of charr. Which is the other issue that keeps cropping up.
Because Iron, Ash and Blood Charrs have a different mind-set and life-style than the Olmakhan. I think they were an interesting footnote of what Charr could be without the existence of the Legions, without taking out any of their current status quo.

I feel people are too over the top about but they are forced. They didn't foreshadowed them. Well, obviously, they can't writte all their lore at the same time and if we went by things they can do by only foreshadow then we would get a really bland world-building. If it's a place no-one has been, that we know nothing about, etc. Why not introduce something new and harmless? People are acting as if the Olmakhan were to replace the current Charr or something lol. They aren't even presented as a better version of the Charr, just a different one.
1723f47ac7053e22920f56d986ec2108.png
2b695320d327e1ec885110b80d4602a0.png
Posted Mar 25, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+1,491
I think we'll have to agree to disagree, because it never felt forced at all to me. I didn't need a build up or a hint in previous episodes or seasons at all. It was just there and my only reaction was "cool, this is different."

I would like to point out, however, that there really isn't much cultural difference between Iron, Ash and Blood. It feels more like high school basketball team rivalries from towns thirty to forty minutes apart. Everything about their military and the way they raise their children and how they go about their business is presented as being exactly the same. The only difference is one charr is wearing an Iron Legion T-Shirt, the one over there has on a Blood Legion T-Shirt, while the other is wearing an Ash Legion T-Shirt.

Honestly, the bolded part for me.

the Three "good legions" aren't really different at all in terms of culture. In battlefield doctrine and gear development they differ slightly, but it's not like we see Ash legion or Blood legion complaining about "How much different the black citadel is compared to the Blood or Ash citadels" or having to adapt to completely different set of rules compared to back home.
GW2 home server- Sorrow's Furnance Kalavier.1097
The Noble The SurvivorThe Commander

Feedback is great, and helps to improve us. If something seems off in my bios, come poke me and discuss it! If something is awesome, tell me! :)
Posted Apr 1, 18
Page
of 4
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices