Recent Threads
Main Forum

Solo Charr Explanations - Not Everyone Can Be a Gladium

8 replies
Pogs:
+2
So my question is quite straight forward:

What are some lore-abiding explanations for a Citadel charr to be on their own besides being a gladium? I don't have a guild to create a charr with a warband from the beginning and it feels highly limiting for my other option to be "Oh well the rest of my warband was killed". All I've been able to come up with is a charr waiting on their warband's return after being split up (Similar to the charr in Gendarren Fields who remains there obeying the last order she received to meet up there) or a charr who has developed highly specific talents that higher ranking officers are using (Such as sending a zoologist/animal husbandry expert into Elona to research new beasts of war while their warband remains on assignment).

Thoughts?
Posted Apr 9, 18 · OP
Pogs:
+151
I have a legion charr whose warband is NPC based, rather than having a guild of sorts. That kinda stuff is totally fine. But the hardest part of making a legion charr that doesn't seem out of place or without purpose is giving them said purpose. Normally and realistically, you wouldn't see a lot of lone legion charr outside of the lands under the Legions. They are still soldiers and cannot just wander off like that, even if they have time "off".

In other words! If a legion charr is away from their warband, they can't be without a purpose. But it is possible for a charr to serve as some sort of a lend to a service for their own experience, which is more of an agreement between both sides. For instance, I have a charr that is strictly working on studying branded specifics of Elona and trying to convert tribal charr into servitude to the Legions. In other words? The field research kind of a reason works quite well. But realise that these things are temporary, still.

Legion charr are tricky to play as and often aren't played too well because they are soldiers above all, and that kind of a state is very limiting when it comes to what a lot of roleplayers want to do. But it all comes to whenever or not you want to follow their lore strictly.
Posted Apr 9, 18
Pogs:
+82
I'll add on to what the poster before me has said with my own little nuggets of wisdom.

There are several roles within the High Legions that would allow charr to operate independent of their warband. Not every charr works with their warband 100% of the time and if you really get into it it's only the low-tier charr who do that. The rank and file grunts. For the most part the higher-ups, Centurions and above, work fairly independent of their Warband in certain situations. As a Centurion you would be afforded a lot of luxuries that the rest of your 'band wouldn't have but it's important to remember that your Warband would still be around.

There's also options like diplomats and ambassadors, who would definitely work separately from the rest of their Warband, but again, their Warband would still be around, most likely as bodyguards or advisors. You could also take a page from my own personal book and make your charr a Primus. Primus are basically the 'school teachers' of the Legions and act on their own accord with their Warband being a separate entity. They're still tied to their Warband heavily but at best that Warband would just show up once in a while to see how things are going. It's important to note that a Primus is NOT a Primus Centurion, those are two different things entirely.

In the long run, if you want a charr -without- a Warband entirely your best option is to either make them an Honourable Gladium or something which just occurred to me, a charr from Lion's Arch. It's important to note that said charr would be incredibly young but it's also a way for them to be entirely free of the High Legions and their culture.

Just my ten cents, hope you found something here helpful. /sweepingbow
5af4f1a4892b072e.png
Posted Apr 12, 18
Pogs:
+151
I personally disagree with the whole centurion thing. Centurions are commanding officers, they have a number of warbands under them including the one they belong to. While they DO work a little bit more independantly in some form, they still have massive responsibilities compared to ranks below them and likely have even less time on anything else. Though sure, you can RP an irresponsible and corrupt centurion that weights down his second in command with all the work with warbands, while himself doing something more 'important' like visiting a human tavern for one reason or another. It's all fine to RP that, just recognize that part if you wanna be strict to lore more or less.
Posted Apr 13, 18
Pogs:
+1,495
wrote:
I'll add on to what the poster before me has said with my own little nuggets of wisdom.

There are several roles within the High Legions that would allow charr to operate independent of their warband. Not every charr works with their warband 100% of the time and if you really get into it it's only the low-tier charr who do that. The rank and file grunts. For the most part the higher-ups, Centurions and above, work fairly independent of their Warband in certain situations. As a Centurion you would be afforded a lot of luxuries that the rest of your 'band wouldn't have but it's important to remember that your Warband would still be around.

There's also options like diplomats and ambassadors, who would definitely work separately from the rest of their Warband, but again, their Warband would still be around, most likely as bodyguards or advisors. You could also take a page from my own personal book and make your charr a Primus. Primus are basically the 'school teachers' of the Legions and act on their own accord with their Warband being a separate entity. They're still tied to their Warband heavily but at best that Warband would just show up once in a while to see how things are going. It's important to note that a Primus is NOT a Primus Centurion, those are two different things entirely.

There are plenty of merchants and craftsmen in the cities who aren't always with their warband, as a note. Charr are not 100% of the time with their warbands, hell the PC charr is given official leave to join the orders, and from then on isn't around their warband at all.

Or jut have them be background npcs. My iron legion charr for example, has a warband but it's not one that's always with her. And since she's more assigned to building guns then using them on the front, not an issue.
Quote:
In the long run, if you want a charr -without- a Warband entirely your best option is to either make them an Honourable Gladium or something which just occurred to me, a charr from Lion's Arch. It's important to note that said charr would be incredibly young but it's also a way for them to be entirely free of the High Legions and their culture.

Just my ten cents, hope you found something here helpful. /sweepingbow

That's wrong about the Lion's Arch Charr however. LA was rebuilt 101 years ago (as of present year in GW2). Since Charr were actually present at LA from the begining, you could easily have a middle aged to older charr there. My lionguard Charr, for example (who has never set foot in Ascalon, born and raised within the city), is around 54+ years old.
GW2 home server- Sorrow's Furnance Kalavier.1097
The Noble The SurvivorThe Commander

Feedback is great, and helps to improve us. If something seems off in my bios, come poke me and discuss it! If something is awesome, tell me! :)
Posted Apr 13, 18
Pogs:
+1,283
From The Legions of the Charr:

There are also ranks within the structure of the High Legions that do not contribute to the direct chain of command. A brevet is a temporary field command used in times of emergency. Quaestor is the legion title for quartermaster, a position typically held by an older soldier whose skills on the field have lessened, but whose experience and administrative guidance are extremely valuable. Scrapper is the catch-all term for a warband on punishment duty, no matter what their official rank.

Brevet Talmagh is a charr messenger in The Upper City. He can be seen walking in the Royal Palace, awaiting audience with Queen Jennah. He can also be found in the lower city walking past the District Promenade, near Rurikton, and engaging in dialogue with a group human Citizens under the name of "Mercenary" prior to loading into the Upper City, at which point his identity as Brevet is revealed. Occasionally, he will be present in the Queen's Throne Room, seemingly giving a proposal to the queen:

"I have a message for the queen. The officer assigned to deliver it is occupied in the field, so I've been promoted for the task. Again."

Perhaps your Charr is tasked with a duty that involves traveling abroad? That would require them to stay at the local inn more often than usual since their job is to act as a go-between.

Quaestors are quartermasters for the High Legions. Quaestor Arkhan is the quaestor of Smokestead Village:

"I make sure the shops are stocked and the people get what they need."

How do the High Legions conduct trade with merchants from other countries to arrange private trade deals? Someone needs to represent the Legions and travel abroad to talk to those merchants wherever they are to make those deals happen. Your Charr could be working under the quaestor of a particular location and given temporary leave to travel abroad.

A scrapper warband is commonly tasked with duties such as menial labor, salvaging, or otherwise tasks which are below the assignment of a normal warband. You can get creative with this one. What are some menial tasks that you can come up with to justify having your Charr travel abroad? Perhaps they're assigned to one of the quaestor's assistants cleaning up after the marmoxes and loading up the acquired goods into a wagon for transport.

Consider the logistics of the High Legions and how a warrior society would fill its economic needs within the structure of what is essentially a humungous army. Scrapper warbands might be "punished" by assigning them to perform menial mercantile tasks for the quaestors who rotate scrappers across a wide variety of essential jobs just to make sure they get done. You might even have a warband full of Charr who were forced to learn how to make bread or clean devourer breeding pits as part of their military career back when their warband was getting assigned to scrapper duty more often.

In short, you can arrange for your solo Charr to be just about anywhere you need them to be as long as you come up with a creative and interesting excuse.
Posted Apr 14, 18 · Last edited Apr 14, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+109
My friend Athrenn, above makes some AWESOME points on other ways to logically and canonically explain a reason for your charr's presence to be other than BC.

As an avid charr roleplayer with a preference towards Legion charr and following lore as closely as possible. I roleplay with a big guild called Charr Roleplay Community and through the community I've developed an active warband with the Ash Legion. The premise of the warband is that they are assigned covert operations to obtained wanted fugitives and bounties tasked to them by higher command at the Black Citadel. This means traveling abroad and actually having a reason to be somewhere else (like Divinity's Reach) without it seeming lore-breaking.

Just to give an example of what I came up with.
Ingame: devanea.2041 - Discord: Gina#1509

Doctor Melanie Valen | Devanea Dzik | Serena Elliott | Exemplar Trinity Halehaven | Legionnaire Tor Slyblade | Thanatos | Hyperion | Lord Matthias Adrien

Posted Apr 14, 18
Pogs:
+1,592
I'll admit to only having skimmed the above answers and done a word search, but another option is to be a Free Agent, such as Rox has been from Living Story season 2, chapter 3 and onwards to this present day.
They're still a part of the Legion, but they have their own mission that fall outside the immediate scope of their Legion, such as Rox being given the mission to help the Pact Commander.
Ikata.3750

I've too many characters to even list here..
So here's the names of a few:

Torchclaw Cloudfire
Sheila Braidtail
Shaman Cauldronburn
Kyra Whisperwood
Imus Underboot
Kennis Eveningsong
Posted Apr 15, 18
Pogs:
+151
Rox is still a gladium, but under some manner of employment by Imperator. But I wouldn't suggest that kind of a role at all, considering it seems to be a special case more or less.

Special case for a special case.
a62bc8ec9f.jpg
Posted Apr 17, 18
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices