Recent Threads
Main Forum
Page
of 2

How powerful is the Pact Commander?

15 replies
Pogs:
+9
Ah I see! Sorry, misread the whole darn thing then. Continue on!
Posted May 4, 18
Valis o
Pogs:
+429
i thought we were talking about the Pact Commander as a lore character in the first place, not the player avatars

wasn't that obvious?
Valis Hollington
Posted May 4, 18
Pogs:
+58
I think the power of the pact commander just doesn't come down to power allone, but it has more to do with their determance, this is pretty visible in Path of Fire where the Pact Commander goes through massive lenghts to make sure that Balthazar doesnt kill Kralkatorrik, even with all odds against him. Another thing is that he's always got something he needs in his team (Like Kasmeer being able to veil the Commander into an awakened)

We see the Commander's determance throughout the start of the story (In every bit) and despite the different races this is a trait of the character that is shared between races. I even think that, in the Heart of the Volcanno instance, when you have the showoff with Balthazar, the commander even "signs his own death sentence" to delay Balthazar from killing Primordus, Taimi even comments on it.

Thing is, you cant really meassure the commanders power level since whenever we're up against a VERY powerful adversary, we're given a tool to defeat it. (Glory of Tyria against Zhaitan, Sohotin against Balthazar), what you can meassure is his determance, his fight against Mordremoth being one in Mordremoth's mind, and could be seen as a tug of war of mentality.

Lastly i'd like to point this out; when it comes to narrative design, usually, you kill of characters to make place for new characters that come in their stead, and this is the exact thing that happened with Snaff, here you have a character that was determined to find a fix for the problem, in this case being the Elder Dragon problem, and look what happens, he is killed before a new character is introduced to the story. (Edge of Destiny being the most recent book before the start of the personal story), the character shares the same basic traits, aswell.

So that's my 2 cents.
Posted May 4, 18
Pog
List
Undo
YotaLi o
Pogs:
+341
I go for Guild Wars personification of Chuck Norris.
Posted May 7, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+21
I think I recall reading something about how your GW2 character was one of the Chosen. You did, in the story, end the mursaat once and for all, as foretold in the Flameseeker Prophecies. Chosen are also said by Follower Xunn to be the protectors of Glint's legacy. You can assume fate protects you while you are fighting gods.

But then we run into the problem of even single accounts usually having a number of characters. Which one, RP-wise, is actually the Commander? My theory is, they are on different timelines trying to resolve into a single reality, as is the case in the Fractals and Mist War. The Pact, certainly, has many other commanders in it, allowing some recognition of your role as a Pact commander in conversation, assuming you do the story, while not explicitly stating you are for certain the famous one, and thus robbing others of the role.

With regard explicitly to power level: It's usually better to err on the weaker side, though contexts and roleplay groups do exist where you can temporarily assume great power without complaint. (Who knows how long "temporary" will last, however?)

The best example of this power role assumption I saw involved a norn hero who was trying to convince a friend to quit the Sons of Svanir. The Svanir character used an in-game spawn mechanic to gain the power to summon icebrood.
Defending Tyrians from mysterious enemies in the Mist War since 1326 AE.

Fought over a landmass larger than Orr, I witnessed hundreds of thousands die in the Mist War. The fate of Tyria rests on a few shoulders in a callous world that did little to aid us. The other kingdoms owe us for warding off an enemy far more dangerous than the dragons.
Posted May 14, 18 · Last edited May 14, 18
Pogs:
+184
I really dislike the commander, what a narrow-minded onesided "us">"them"orientated hypocritical and overly just insanely 1-dimensional character without a soul. Only thing worse out there is Taimi, and playing as the commander, I was not even given the option to just let her sufficate. Forced instead to help that annoying gremlin who is able to instantly make me quit wanting to play as the commander the moment the episode starts with her annoying and not-funny-at-all : HEEEEEEEY COMMANDER!!
so the commander is weak, boring, a coward, incapable of inspiring npc's and players alike, and above that, selfrighteous. bah.

Not for everyone, just to anyone

Posted 7 minutes from now.
Posted May 15, 18 · Last edited May 15, 18
Page
of 2
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices