Recent Threads
Main Forum

Anyone planning on turning your characters into their own things?

5 replies
Pogs:
+2
It's probably obvious by now people here have done some serious writing with their characters. I want to know if anyone here plans to take them out of gw2 and say... make it a standalone, like a fanfic becoming an original series.

And if you were to do it, what would be your approach? How would you avoid copyright infringement, all that shit and not get sued by anet or anyone for that matter?
Posted Aug 5, 18 · OP
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+20
The short answer is yes, I'm doing/have done this. My partner and I actually have a web comic in development that, at the time of its birth, was inspired by Guild Wars 2. It's something pretty different now.

Your character and your story are your intellectual property. You have every legal right to throw that shit in a backpack and hike it over the border from Tyria to a land of your own imaginings. The trick would be to strip it down to the bare-bones of your creation and get rid of anything in there that's uniquely Tyria (i.e., specific characters, most of the setting, most of the playable races, the gods, etc). That means more than just changing names. All this needs to be replaced with an original setting of your own making. I would recommend figuring out which bits are absolutely necessary to the story you're telling, change those enough to make them yours, then discard the rest and start from scratch.

I'm guessing, if you're considering this, that the point of doing it would be so that you could seek traditional publication (or self-publish under your own name) and try to make some money off of it? If that's the case, honestly, I think having to suck of the GW2 world out of it would probably do you good, anyway. Guild Wars 2 has a very traditional sword-and-sorcery feeling to it--which is fine if you're Brian Sanderson or R.A. Salvatore, but by and large, I think the SFF publishing world is pretty hungry for original fiction that pushes those boundaries. Guild Wars tastes like D&D with a squeeze of lemon, and in terms of publication, you'd probably be better off with something fresher--a whole different drink.

Failing all that, it might be worth considering whether your project will work as a fan project. ArenaNet has been pretty encouraging of fan content--even fans generating revenue off of fan content--and they have a partnership program to support fan creators. Would your project, for instance, work in a format similar to what the folks over at Chronicles of Tyria are doing?
Posted Aug 6, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+73
I very much do/have been. I took the backstory of the character I made three years ago, revised and fleshed it out more, and have now expanded it into an original world with a history unrelated to Tyria that's been evolving over the three years I've been playing this game. :)

It's all thanks to my friend telling me that the Mists acts like the fabric between worlds. Because of that I thought: "Why not make my own world?" and now, here we are. I do write little "fanfics" from time to time where my RP characters are doing things that haven't been executed in an RP, but once I graduate from college in the next two years, I'm going to really push to get my first short stories and novel(maybe) about the world I created published.
Posted Aug 9, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+357
Short answer: yes.

Long answer: my approach is basically the same as the two posters above me. I've borrowed similar concepts from GW2 (mostly in terms of magic), but have essentially stripped all the GW2 out of my character's stories and invented a new world for him to thrive in. Originally, I planned for a series of novels, but recently, I've been entertaining the idea of a series of short stories, instead. Much more manageable, I think.

Creating your own world is much more work, but if you intend to earn some kind of revenue through your stories, then it'd probably be best to avoid the obvious GW2 flavors.
"There is chaos under my skin and it would take more than you to scratch the surface."

Posted Aug 9, 18
Pogs:
+465
I intend to make a series of one shot comics about a sylvari of mine, but would like to keep it in the GW2 universe. So I'm not going to be publishing it for revenue!
Posted Aug 9, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+20
wrote:
I intend to make a series of one shot comics about a sylvari of mine, but would like to keep it in the GW2 universe. So I'm not going to be publishing it for revenue!

I hope you post them on here somewhere I can read them!
Posted Aug 10, 18
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices