No users online.
Recent Threads
Main Forum

Where mah writers at?

3 replies
Kae
Pogs:
+56
I mean, everywhere, I guess. Duh. We roleplay by writing. But--but--raise your hand if you write stories outside of roleplay, whether published or not, fanfic or otherwise. What do you write? Do you post your work anywhere? Does your roleplaying influence your writing at all, or do you keep the two pretty separate? Any favorite authors? Link your work, please! (If you want).
Forum-Signature-4.png
Read the whole story on Wattpad or on Enjin
Posted Aug 9, 18 · OP
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+1,923
*raises hand*
Hi, my name is Joxx, and I've been part of Anonymous Authors since… uhh… once upon a time.

I think I picked up the (metaphorical) featherpen about 6 or 7 years ago, and haven't put it down since. In that span of time, I've written 3 standalone novels (which, in my opinion, need not see the light of day, lest I bestow unspeakable cringe upon the World around me), and thereafter got to work on a trilogy that reached over 1000 book-sized pages until… I got bored of it. Seriously. I'm of that philosophy that when it comes to all kinds of art, passion and quality are strongly connected. If your heart is not in it, what you write is unlikely to be anything you'd want to show your mama. The best passages in my writing has always been the moments where my fingers have danced across the keyboard with enough vigor to set it on fire. Those passages where the words pretty much wrote themselves. Those are the ones I'm proudest of.

I put my trilogy project aside because of how monotonous it had become. It was the same 'feel' all the way through, and though it was an interesting feel (it was a fantasy story elaborating on a lone soldier's struggle with military propaganda and PTSD), there just wasn't enough variation. So I put it aside and tried something else: a story taking the view of three radically different characters, each with their own feel and purpose in the story. But it also has a strong main theme: in a fantasy world carved between three great factions that all want to dominate the continent for their own reasons, three vastly different characters will uncover the first signs of a coming catastrophy, as these warmongering factions begin to mine the earth for a mineral that seemingly has the ability to bring people back to life. Surely an invaluable substance when it comes to war, because it means you can always bring your dead soldiers back to fight another day - but at what cost? The aforementioned characters will soon find that these minerals, once their life-giving energy is spent, are dumped into the ocean where they slowly rot, turn poisonous, and pollute the land, skies, and even the fabric of reality itself.

As I'm sure you've figured out, it's a fantasy story that also has something to say about warmongering nations' desire for power, territory, and last but not least: war. For if you build your empire on the premise of always having an enemy, no matter how vague and nebulous, can you ever truly have peace? And of course, it's a story about the environmental costs of the aforementioned insatiable war machines, but with a distinct fantasy spin to it. And it's all in the hands of these three characters to put an end to it.

I'll admit, though, writing has been slow, as of late. I keep getting stuck, and my motivation is low. I feel like I get bored if I stay in the same place for too long, so it's a vicious circle: if I don't write, I won't have moved the plot forward, and if I haven't moved the plot forward, I'll get bored. So I'm just gonna have to push myself a little and make my own motivation.

If there's any interest in peeking at my scribbles, you may find the first three chapters right here.

As for the my writing influencing my RP, the influence is yuuuge. For one simple reason: every Saturday, I am a tabletop DM for a group of friends, and the RP takes place in the world I've built. It is, simply said, an amazing way of expanding a fantasy world, and I recommend it to every author out there. DMing in your world challenges your idea of the world in all kinds of ways you had probably never seen, and you're forced to fill out all kinds of holes you had overlooked. And your world needs to be immersive, if your players are going to feel enticed to make characters that fit the lore. Other authors will surely tell you to read and read and read to improve your writing, and that is probably true too, but my advice is this: become a DM. There's just nothing quite like it.

Well, that became a bit longer than expected. Looking forward to seeing what other fellow scribblers have to share. :)
pWcNk.png
Other characters:
Ryqqa, black hat hacker vigilante
Ira Benedict, monkey disciple
Posted Aug 9, 18 · Last edited Aug 9, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+51
Benefactor
Hi there! I am constantly writing stuff and things, and whenever I do, I always post them here.
Posted Aug 9, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Kae
Pogs:
+56
Hey fellow writers! interest check on doing a writers' group with me?
Forum-Signature-4.png
Read the whole story on Wattpad or on Enjin
Posted Sep 15, 18 · OP
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices