Recent Threads
Main Forum

Of Mercs and Nightmares

8 replies
Pogs:
+5
OK, not the cleverest title I realize. But this is something I've wanted to get other opinions on for a while. Often times I hear it's for travel, new area access, etc. And I do accept that is a piece. however I want to hear some other reasons and thoughts for these: To those that play, what is the appeal to you, of playing a Nightmare or a Mercenary? What is your favourite part about playing them? Least favourite? Nuances in RP you've learned or other insights you've gain about RolePlaying in general by being one? Though these two seem to be disjointed, I often see both highly sought after, or new ones popping up in the Guild Recruitment all the time so clearly they both strike some cord within people, possibly even the same one for some people!

Note: This is not a thread to crap on people for holding a more popular rp choice. This is simply a meant to be a thread asking why one chose to do this and why people enjoy their RP ((also a curiosity on what you've learned over time as I said before)).
Posted Aug 19, 18 · OP
Pogs:
+118
For one thing, as you mentioned that they pop up often in guild recruitment and such - it's an avenue to find a lot of activity! The NC guilds I've been in have been fairly large, with consistent random activity throughout the week as well as well-attended scheduled events.

The second appeal for me is that it's so thoroughly different and clearly, well, playing a role. I go through life as a pretty friendly and caring person, I'm very empathetic, and generally feel like I want to make the world better. When I do RP characters who are affable and kind, it doesn't feel as immediately immersive. I can just jump right into a Nightmare Courtier's head because it's so different from mine. And it can be so *satisfying* to be mean and cruel, to let out those impulses, without actually harming anyone.

I think both of those are somewhat common draws?
Posted Aug 19, 18
Pogs:
+4,315
Benefactor
A thousand years ago, I asked the same of the Nightmare Court community, and this is what they said: Link To A Thread!

As for me, it's just fun.
Posted Aug 19, 18
Pogs:
+24
In a setting that that is defined by, and the story driven by conflict, a mercenary character offers a lot of RP opportunities, without the understood limitations of a character situated in a more formal military outfit. Also, the word mercenary is pretty broad in its scope, and can be synonymous with "adventurer".
Posted Aug 20, 18
Kae
Pogs:
+60
Benefactor
All of the above, plus--for me--it just made sense for the character. I knew I wanted to write a redemption arc. I also knew I wanted a fairly complex character, because RP (as opposed to solo-writing) is necessarily character driven. You have control over your character, but not over the plot, so I knew I needed a character I could really sink my teeth into. It appealed to me to write a character who's up to her eyeballs in violence--violence that she's committing--and then someday force her to reckon with that.

I don't plan for my mercenary to always be a mercenary. Her story is about how she got that way in the first place and whether or not it's possible for her to ever become something better.

Also, everything everyone said before. It's practical. She travels. She generates her own conflict. She can be a goodguy or a badguy as the situation requires. Very versatile for this collaborative storytelling thing we do.
Forum-Signature-4.png
Read the whole story on Wattpad or on Enjin
Posted Aug 20, 18
Pogs:
+222
Benefactor
In a setting that that is defined by, and the story driven by conflict, a mercenary character offers a lot of RP opportunities, without the understood limitations of a character situated in a more formal military outfit. Also, the word mercenary is pretty broad in its scope, and can be synonymous with "adventurer".

Exactly what Mercer said. For my mercenary character, I struggled a lot at first with finding a guild that actually fit her and fit her well, so I ended up just staying on the mercenary track until she was further fleshed out and I could hear her with her wants and demands. At that point I was able to steer her in a direction that made sense not only for the background I carefully constructed with her, but for the character she developed into being. It is a REALLY broad term, and one that I love and will likely use again if I see it fits with the personality of a character I am creating.

I completely agree with K8 too. It is practical, and it's easier to create more and I found it a lot more stimulating to develop my character based on what she has gone through (this is for all my characters, not just my mercenary) with other characters. Development for me has never been about just the little box the character starts in, but it's more of what you can do with that box, a basket of crayons and people fun to write with. No paths.
Posted Aug 20, 18
Pogs:
+5
Really loving the responses guys :) didn’t think this would get attention lol. I have to agree with the freedom of it as I think I may hinted at in my first post (if I didn’t then my bad). I myself started with Mercenary RP to get a sense of the world and in character. Like Shiloh (I’m so sorry if I spelt that wrong I’m on mobile right now, can’t see what the hell im doing) it helped me find the wants and needs of my character before I could find what they needed to do. On that point however I’d like to bring up my second question that I asked (though still do feel free to answer the first one) what have you learned from your time RPing these roles/how have you grown as an RPer?
Posted Aug 23, 18 · OP
Pogs:
+104
Several of my characters fall under the Mercenary/Freelancer category. It allows for a lot of creative freedom in their development, or at least in their bones. The draw backs to this are - without a guild development is limited to how you want to write them in your head and that can really stifle the character, some RPers look down on mercenary types (either IC or OOC), from the IC perspective your characters might even be disregarded as skillful, and the OOC perspective is similar simply because these characters are our babies and some scruffy little mercenary shouldn't be better than my Seraph who has been training for the Seraph their whole life!

On a whole, the merc life is good for the bare bones. Your character is free to travel, they sell their blade or their skills where they wish, and it allows for some unique experiences.

For the Nightmare, I've only recently come into this scene. My experience is limited and less than stellar. The only thing that really attracted me to Nightmare RP was the amount of active Sylvari guilds. Non-Nightmare guilds are few and far between (I think there are only 2 non-Nightmare guilds atm). If I wanted Sylvari RP I was going to have to delve into the darker side of Sylvari lore. I won't speak much on it since I only have experience with one Court guild and they rp'd a certain way.

However, from what I have heard most Courts do run more along the villainous side of nefariousness, debauchery, and depravity. This ultimately ends up excluding the other side of Courts (Gavin's Court style from the White Stag story) where there is a certain honor and nobility to the Court that isn't about torture or excessive violence. Though I can understand that a passive takeover of the Dream might be less appealing than something more sudden and violent. But I digress.

An issue you might encounter with RPing a Nightmare character is meta-gaming with people who think they've figured out you're a Nightmare scum! That's in public RP though. In guild RP... I won't talk about it. I've only got one guild's worth of experience and as there are many their styles of RP and events are different.
uFsZJ7M.png
Posted Aug 23, 18
Pogs:
+1,510
I've several chars who fall into the "Merc" style category, and as somebody who (in the past, as RL has caused me issues and I've not had time or will to actively seek public RP or even look at RP guilds beyond the one I'm in) mostly done RP purely with friends, those characters tend to have a lot more freedom in where they could feasibly be. While some of my characters who aren't "mercs" could travel far and wide, it's a bit more to explain the "why" As opposed to say, my smuggler norn who could be traveling anywhere from Kryta to Ascalon or even Crystal desert now.

There is a bit more freedom in roaming, interaction, and possibly skill sets compared to certain characters of a set profession (as in job, not class). But I'm lumping Mercs, smugglers, adventurers, etc all into that category. Honestly it's just a different flavor I like to dabble in.

I don't have any nightmare court characters, as I dislike the forced "must be evil" As by lore, but I do have a very dark dreamer Sylvari, who does do a bit of torture and maiming during her assassination work, though she's highly selective and doesn't target or accept contracts on those she deems innocents or civilians.

I won't speak of nightmare court RPers personally, as I have had very little interaction with them, but in general the court has never truly appealed to me from a lore perspective. I do wish there were more dreamer/non nightmare court guilds (I have shaken my head at the reasons for that I have heard in the past) though, as "dreamer" can cover everything from cheerful gardeners to a group of rugged, mean pirates. I've felt the nightmare court's constant need to spread nightmare (due to the nightmare poking their subconscious) would create issues with traveling, as they'd want to stick close to Sylvari population centers or gatherings (My opinion). So when I saw a few courtiers in Amnoon/crystal desert once I was confused.

But I also admit my two(third one is purely out of game atm) Sylvari would not really be able to RP with courtiers that well. The one would probably try to just leave or arrest them when he found out, the other would try to stab them the moment they tried recruiting her. And due to the court's lore I'd be weirded out more if they didn't attempt lol.
GW2 home server- Sorrow's Furnance Kalavier.1097
The Noble The SurvivorThe Commander

Feedback is great, and helps to improve us. If something seems off in my bios, come poke me and discuss it! If something is awesome, tell me! :)
Posted Aug 26, 18
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices