Recent Threads
Main Forum

RP Discussion - Rping a Revenant

6 replies
Pogs:
+268
I'm helping a guild member rework his character and wanted a general consensus and then talk about any points/opinions that are raised...

What has been your best experiences when you've been RPing with other Revs and what has been your worst?

What would you say is your big do's and don'ts?

How would you explain the lore of the Revenant without making them have it that they can RP that they're RPing the opinions of lore characters?
4062276.jpg

Posted Sep 2, 18 · OP
Kae o
Pogs:
+99
Benefactor
wrote:
How would you explain the lore of the Revenant without making them have it that they can RP that they're RPing the opinions of lore characters?

I'm not going to pretend to know, exactly, but this is something I'm interested in, too. I discovered this useful article in the process of trying to figure it out.

Kae#8761
Posted Sep 3, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Liv o
Pogs:
+489
From a Lore Friendly guild perspective- we try to stick to the DEFINITIVE posted lore on Rev. Because there isn't a ton out there, or what IS out there is vague, most of the DSS Rpers choose to not RP that character class as they find rping something without a lot of lore leaves room for too much ambiguity and if you 'fill the gaps' yourself, you could find yourself outside of lore when those gaps are filled by game writers and developers.

What is known is that they have a connection with the mists and that the channeled spirits are POWERFUL spirits or heroes. That is to say, not your brother/sister/some bloke but actually Glint or any other ones prescribed in the skill list.

The argument that can be made is- are these heroes talking to literally every rev? How many people are involved with these spirits?

Does blindness actually effect your ability to see into the mists?

Why the blindfold? Is it a choice to block out non-mist energy?

---

Some of the things I have seen that have really turned me off to Rev RPers are the following- without using real character names:

Lord Grimdark McEdgington: A character blinded themselves so they could channel the mists. Literally. With a knife...at the table and then immediately was healed/could use Rev skills, without lasting pain or injury.

Snowflake SnowFur the White: A character could walk through the mists, at will, without personal injury and more often than not showed up at random places totally fine, even though there are mist wars (which, btw, Anet doesn't discuss at length in lore to the depth that would include one way or the other that it's safe to do.)

Blacktooth Shadowspell: A character that was literally just Mallyx. All day, every day.

--

Now, I will admit that the above examples have a LOT more to do with the players' writing styles and in no way reflects how I feel about EVERY Rev rper- but as a general rule for lore-abiding RP: it's better to err on the side of caution than to err and have to rewrite or worse...have it so wrong the character is absolutely toast.

But if you're not a lore abiding person or if you're more fast-and-loose with things that the devs haven't explicitly said no to- by all means, give it a go. Just remember there's not a ton out there that's actually supported story wise- At least, not as much as Elementalist.

Also this will help

You know, aside from the famous 'Later Cub' line.
Duskfall Security Solutions
---
Olivia De Alvarre
Posted Sep 3, 18 · Last edited Sep 3, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+268
wrote:
Above post

Thanks for the reply, It's certainly a challenge as a guild leader as you don't want to push people out of your guild but at the same time, you don't want it to counter the lore itself.

What I'm thinking of doing as a standard is having it that these legends are just a source of power and these "echoes" are just another fancy word of saying spells. As the mists and the real world are joined together (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Through_the_Veil) to me this ties it together quite well as to how Revs can cast these "Echoes/Spells"

Before the patch, however...you could argue this to be fact but then you could hear them talk to the main character. I suppose it could just be the same thing, where they tap into a shared spirit? I don't know, it's odd. I think it might be best to just say "It's spells, you can't RP lore characters being in your head."
4062276.jpg

Posted Sep 5, 18 · OP
Pog
List
Undo
Robin o
Pogs:
+1,549
Roleplaying a Reveant is actually much easier then you think, in fact it's actually far easier then rp'ing out a beginer in any other profession. Because as it's new even in lore. There's allot of wiggle room..but also lore on how people even begin to learn the darn thing.

First off, The Spirits aren't Actually spirits, They are merely echoes of the imprint each Legendary (and the factor of legendary is important, as stated.) figure left upon the mists. Since they are only echoes. There an be an infinite number of them, and none of them have the full-figures memories, only what was imprinted on the mists. Hence why Shiro seems to fli-flop from honourable guard to Betrayer, plague bringer and bloodthristy as heck. (Source: click me ) So any worry about speaking for a lore character.. is unneeded. Because it's only a fragment..granted a fully sentient fragment. But it's not the exact person.

Secondly, No.. you don't get blinded, you don't have to waltz into the mists, and the blindfold is merely an optional way of focusing because channelling echoes who are pretty noisy when channelled.. can be disorientating.

From Anet's very own guide on roleplaying the thing.
Rp'ing the Rev article wrote:
—it’s all up to the individual. A revenant’s signature blindfold isn’t mandatory, either, as revenants don’t become blind as a natural result of their profession. Most of them only wear a blindfold as a tool to help them commune with the legends, who are able to perceive the world through their own senses.

Which is why during Path of Fire and beyond, Rytlock forgoes the blindfold altogether. It's no longer needed as he can focus without it.

To further explain the not--needing to enter the mists, I'll again let Arenanet's dev team speak for themselves:
and another one wrote:
, but a brand-new revenant starting on their journey will not have had to visit the Mists or undergo any more of an advanced process to access revenant powers than they would for the other core professions. All that’s necessary to begin training as a revenant is knowledge of the profession, the faith and will to reach into the Mists, and an open mind.

As for how I roleplay my Rev' Typically don't tend to speak to their legends outloud unless they have too because one: Getting them to shut up again is a pain, two, It is generally frowned upon to speak to "yourself" in polite society.

Their spells aren't quite as good or potent as their old necormancy. But due to the years now of training they still pakc a punch. I keep things fair out of character and ensure that it fits the characters own strengths and weaknesses both physically and magically.

For explaining the lore: It's an echo, not the real thing, talking to the legends too much may make people think ic-wise that the character has gones nuts. and To all folks, both those that want to rp them and who hate them: Chill and don't overthink things. What we have is a good base and more then any other profession got. We don't need to know every single detail. Focus on the greater story as a whole and not those finer details. :thumb:
Gametag: RobinTair.1806

Truu: Pact soldier turned merc
Diathi: Mender, Gardener, Troublemaker.
Laossi: Pastel-hued pacifist

Posted Sep 5, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+1,511
One thing brought up in Path of Fire explicitly is this. The revenant specific skills tend to be taught by the echo itself. Rytlock comments on learning his abilities directly from glint. The Revenant Renegade npc talks about how she's learning from the echo of Kalla.

I have two revenants, though one isn't entirely a revenant.

The first would be my lionguard, whose encounter with the mists/echos came about from hunting aetherblades that specifically went to hide in the mists (part of that one episode). His interactions with the legends is fairly minor, as he talks to them only in private and has spent time getting them to shut up when he's busy or out in public. What legend he's channeling I've never truly specified (as I don't really play him in terms of going out into the world and fighting in the game itself). Probably some naval figure or a figure related to Lion's Arch, if not Jalis or Glint.

My other revenant is my sunspear istani char, who is more of a Revenant/Dervish hybrid (much more of the latter then former). She does channel powers from the mists, but I've not rped it as being Mallyx in specific, but another Margonite, or a group. If push came to shove I'd not have too much trouble just saying it's Mallyx, but that she never refers to him by name lol.
GW2 home server- Sorrow's Furnance Kalavier.1097
The Noble The SurvivorThe Commander

Feedback is great, and helps to improve us. If something seems off in my bios, come poke me and discuss it! If something is awesome, tell me! :)
Posted Sep 6, 18
Pogs:
+268
Thanks this has been a great help! :thumb:

I don't like the idea of being restrained by just one or two "legends" and that's it. We're an RP-PvX guild, we want to RP our classes fully as we mix PvE, WvW and PvP in our RP BUT we want to keep to the lore as much as we can.

When you say "Echoes." I know there isn't much we can really go from this but from what I gather, they are spells. So, something like Jade Winds. would be the same as casting a fireball, it's just one comes from the mist and the other comes from ley lines/energy.

Or is there something else I'm missing here?
4062276.jpg

Posted Sep 6, 18 · OP
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices