Recent Threads
Main Forum

Weird but hard idea

8 replies
Pogs:
+1
I love to make original characters, the greater the challenge the better, is there any way to make a mute character? Just to make an original character and maybe make an interesting back story for that that might lead to an interesting adventure.
Posted Sep 24, 18 · OP
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+4,042
/e *insert what the mute character is doing to convey their thought, through sign language or gestures*

Done. It's really not that hard.There has been quite a few mute RP characters on the game in the past.
Piken Square RPer!
Growl Bladeskin | Aelius Brightmane | Tilaw Stainsoul | Evi Shadowstep | Sceledrus Irontail | Inquisitor Moltenclaw | Demolitionist Lhymm | Ichomancer Zhuliss | Bioenhancer Mukhin | Sulyenn Nightborn | Cailean Angelonia | Maelon Amaryllis | Vethorn Ulfkelson | Mikael Shineblood | Kristopher Lockhart
Posted Sep 24, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+56
Hystery said it. EZ.

I've seen quite a few, and some were really fun to RP with. Focusing on the character's emotions and facial expressions can be very fun in various situations.

Or you can take the easy way out with making them write on a notebook and showing the scribblings to the other char.
Posted Sep 24, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+1
I am aware of the /e command but I read that too many emotes can be annoying to other players because its range. Is there any way to not be annoying?
Posted Sep 24, 18 · OP
Pogs:
+1,511
Well, you don't actually have to use the /e command to emote. Many people have done a classic *insert action* option (I do it sometimes as well simply because /e has such an insane range).
GW2 home server- Sorrow's Furnance Kalavier.1097
The Noble The SurvivorThe Commander

Feedback is great, and helps to improve us. If something seems off in my bios, come poke me and discuss it! If something is awesome, tell me! :)
Posted Sep 24, 18
Pogs:
+1
Thank you! I didn’t knew that people used the ** thingy
Posted Sep 24, 18 · OP
Pogs:
+56
Indeed, /e isn't the only way to do it.

I recommend not using **, and simply putting your character's sayings inside '' ''. Like in a book. It's easier for the readers to read. Nicer for the eyes.
Posted Sep 24, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+1
I used to role play like that in other platforms. Thanks for the advice
Posted Sep 24, 18 · OP
Pogs:
+91
I haven't tried this sort of thing in an open RP setting, but in more isolated one-on-one RPs I tend to try to get a baseline of how well the other character might understand the methods of communication my character is using, i.e. sign language. Usually I would just OOC message the other person about this.

This tends to affect how I present dialogue. Someone with little to no understanding might only get vague emotes describing some of the gestures they'd use--when my character would get that they didn't understand they might try to mime things instead, or write things out if they have the means to.
If they're fluent, I can go so far as to write in quotes what my character is signing as if they were speaking verbally. Instead of describing their tone of voice, I might say they're giving wide excited gestures, or frantic shaking ones.
And someone with an intermediate understanding might get a little bit of both, maybe some more rushed interpretations like "She's saying something about food, moving her hands with quick excitement."

I'm trying to think of how this might be used in a more general setting like at an event or tavern RP, but I'm a little stumped. Still, I hope this helps a little!
lewnatic.3279 (NA servers, Central Time)
Art Tumblr
Posted Sep 28, 18
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices