Recent Threads
Main Forum

Mesmers - Offensive spells?

2 replies
Pogs:
+62
Hello!

I'm trying to understand how mesmers work as I recently made a character who's a mesmer. I've played the game since it released on/off. So I know they function gameplay wise, but not how to explain their offensive spells in an emote.

Clones, shields, invisibility, teleportation, phantasms are pretty self explanatory.

But what kind of injury/damage does a pink beam from a conjured sword cause on a person?

And even more, there's been numerous displays of having spells capable of directly attacking a person's mind. But how exactly does this work? Are they putting pressure against a person's mind/brain physically?

For example. In the living story Queen Jennah (a insanely powerful mesmer, I know!) Is seen merely pointing at enemies to kill them with some sort of mind attack.

Source :
Scene starts at 21:15
https://youtu.be/OiYxqUveRGY?t=1275

Can anyone give me an idea of what kind of offensive abilities a mesmer could have? Especially the complex sort of "mind attacks"?
Posted Nov 13, 18 · OP
Pogs:
+1,105
(Wall of text incoming)

I'll start off by saying that Queen Jennah should be an example of what character NOT to base your character's powers off. On several cases we've been told that Jennah is a Mesmer with power beyond compare and she's probably one of the most, if not the most powerful Mesmer in Tyria. With that said, we don't have anything official about the way magic powers work (as in, each class subtree like Glamours, Chaos, etc) so from here on it's what I personally think and use as my headcannon that as far as I'm aware is shared by a good few other RPers I've met on the 6 years I RP on this game.

When it comes to Mesmeric magic, Chaos magic is the one that is the most physically harmful. It's pretty much pure energy that is unpredictable and volatile, meaning that while you can harness it and use such energy against your opponents, you can never -really- predict or plan what you'll do. A 'blast' or 'cloud' of chaos magic could very much tear your enemy into shreds, open wounds all over their bodies, exhaust them or make them sick, confuse them, stagger them or could very well also just heal them or buff them or enhance their attacks for a while. Others use chaos magic like pure, undistilled energy to create physical beams and swords and other such physical attacks, I've pretty much seen both instances be used.

I'd wager that the Greatsword 3 skill is most probably what you'd consider a 'phantasmal' ability. Just like the phantasms you see all over their skills, I'd say that a phantasm is a clone (or item) that can last only a few seconds and actually do physical harm as if it was a true object/person, so in my eyes that skill is simply a phantasmal sword that the Mesmer conjures to land a single attack on their enemy.

Additionally, there's also the subject of Glamour magic. Based on the GW2's own description on the Mesmer page of the website: "Glamours are enchantments that manipulate the fabric of reality around the mesmer, allowing them to create effects such as invisibility, teleportation, and bubbles of warped time". Now this is a very.. iffy subject I'd say. A lot of people prefer to keep that 'reality manipulation' as purely imaginary/illusionary, so your Mesmer wouldn't -really- manipulate space and time but rather the oppononent's perception of space and time around them, thus making him think that time flows slower or faster or freezes all together (which is pretty much confirmed to the way the Chronomancer use their magic) or making them think like there's a barrier around them and redirects their own attacks against them, or making them believe that the Mesmer was in front of them but in reality was behind them all along and thus create the illusion of 'teleportation'. etc.
Others (and I too on that matter) believe that Glamour magic does offer a very limited manipulation of reality, because we've seen a whole lot of Mesmer NPCs use teleportation left and right as actual teleportation, and then you have Kasmeer's portal powers that do actually take you from place A to place B, and then there's the cloaking of the Tower of Nightmares, etc etc.
It does sound OP because it pretty much is, which is why I'd say that if you do take the path of Glamour magic, just try not to go too crazy with it because it will most probably leave people sour as it has throughout the ages, like when someone spams teleportation back to back.

As for your 'mind attack' question, that's also kind of a lore hole. Back in GW1 the Mesmer was pretty much purely based on manipulating the mind of their opponents, forcing emotions like pain or agony or fear into them and pretty much just invading their minds and messing it up however they saw fit. On GW2, that Mesmer magic aspect has been downplayed a lot to almost being completely removed, and as far as I know the only spell that does show this kind of magic are the Mantras. I'd say that you could still technically do this kind of attack, just keep in mind that direct mind control of another person is pretty much impossible, even in GW1 so don't confuse those mind attacks with actual brainwashing or mind controlling.

Uh.. I hope I covered some questions? Or made things more complicated because I didn't explain it well. The thing is, we really don't have a lot of information from Anet on how each individual magic school works and thus it's up to us the community to create headcannons about how they work. If you're in a guild, ask them how they generally believe such magic should work in order to avoid any clashing between your headcannons and beyond that, just get creative with the few info we've been given. Just.. not -too- creative. If that makes sense.
Piken Square RPer!
Nezgar Bladefang | Syriak Scalemane | Ardek Embertail | Njord Ogmundrson | Askold Hjovarson | Qaspiel Zaazenach | Seth Lockhart | Erik Hughes | Carwyn Duskborn | Clionadh Nightborn | Tiarnach Dawnborn | Iorwerth Nightborn | Fearghal Noonborn | Technomancer Ghiall | Biochemist Slyenn | Magisaboteur Rhigg | Ichomancer Qhorazz
Posted Nov 13, 18 · Last edited Nov 13, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+375
Many RPers I've encountered tend to focus their character's talents on illusions (clones, invisibility, etc.) and teleportation (blinking, portals, etc.). Maybe these are "safer" for players because they're so common and easily witnessed by NPC characters and story. After all, it's like Puppeteer said: there's really no "official" word on what these abilities do beyond game mechanics.

I've deviated a little bit from the norm with my main. While he's incredibly skilled with illusions and teleportation like most mesmers, I chose to focus on raw chaos magic as his ultimate strength. There are hints, after all, that chaos magic (like the kind encountered in Brisban around Inquest labs) parallels with core mesmer skills such as teleportation and even transformation (e.g. moa signet). Consider the Chaos Crystal Cavern in Iron Marches, as well: the energy here has not only pulled people and creatures from across Tyria, but it also manipulates your body as you go.

Should you draw inspiration from that? Well, sort of. Chaos magic is meant to be unpredictable and that's how I always play it with my main. I obviously wouldn't have my main pull in creatures from across Tyria, but you can apply those observations to your mesmer's offensive skills. If you take a peek at a mesmer's weapon skills, you find a common theme: apply conditions (often random conditions) and receive boons (often random boons). You could probably draw inspiration from those to develop an offensive flavor for your character.
"There is chaos under my skin and it would take more than you to scratch the surface."

Posted Nov 13, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices