No users online.
Recent Threads
Main Forum

Need Help Understanding Sylvari Cycles

3 replies
Pogs:
+2
Hello! I am new to the community here and I would like to know if anyone can help me understand sylvari cycles. I'm not the rp'er of sorts that writes scripts and acts ingame (although I admire the art of it) but I'm a player that embarrassingly takes character making a tad too far lol. I guess in an artistic and writer's sense. I always try to give my characters some sort of backstory and theme. Sylvari's, being my favorite race, seems kinda tough for me as they come with this "cycle" thing. I try to be as lore-friendly as possible with my characters. So I would like to know how these "cycles" influence a sylvari.

As for the character, I'm trying to make a sylvari ranger that is childlike, quiet, timid, shy, and not the most confident sylvari. She is kindhearted, sweet, helpful, and would love to make friends, she's just hindered by these things. She's quite curious while mostly hangs around nature, where she is mostly in tune and a natural when it comes to living in it, while having a weird quirk of talking to animals (mainly her pets). For the people that she does meet however, she becomes quite loyal to. And not having many friends, she can get a bit excited around them.

I thought dawn was the most fitting choice as she is still friendly and nice, just not confident in herself. Tho the diplomatic and planning part of the cycle doesn't fit. Night was my second choice, but she isn't really lonely/private because she wants to be. Which cycle will work best? One of my friends said that cycles don't fully determined how a sylvari is.

I really appreciate the help! I just wasn't quite sure where or who to ask lol ;;
Posted Nov 22, 18 · OP
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+269
Hello, and welcome to the GW2rp community!! Glad to have someone else interested in sylvari here, and I love the peaceful concept you have for your little bloom.

I'm pretty sure you've checked out the wiki link, but here it is again just in case : CLICK

Just from what I gather from the character concept, I'd say the OC sounds like what any pure-hearted Dreamer sapling would be, starting off their first few years into living in Tyria. Consider using Cycles to further diversify the layers of her personality!

Because after all, cycles really don't fully determine a character's personality as whole. They're (in my opinion) more like astrological signs, or Chinese birth years.

It might provide an inherent base: for example, a Nightbloom who's very social, but has a flaw of keeping the most important bits of themselves secret from folks that they're close to, even loved ones. Or a Noon who's scholarly, except if you mess with their friends, they're gonna be taking you out with the hard binding of a book.
.dulcius ex asperis.
[TC] NA | Indicinis.4930 | Indicinis#0300
Posted Nov 22, 18
Pogs:
+2
Ah alright. So a sylvari born in a certain cycle doesn't really even need to have half of a cycle's traits then? Interesting. I guess it'll help making sylvari stories easier for me. As for choosing between dawn/night for my sylvari, it's still isn't quite clear what to choose. But this for sure lowers the tension lol. Thanks!
Posted Nov 23, 18 · OP · Last edited Nov 23, 18
Pogs:
+1,511
wrote:
Ah alright. So a sylvari born in a certain cycle doesn't really even need to have half of a cycle's traits then? Interesting. I guess it'll help making sylvari stories easier for me. As for choosing between dawn/night for my sylvari, it's still isn't quite clear what to choose. But this for sure lowers the tension lol. Thanks!

The cycle can affect your character, or not. It's more of a "Sylvari who are born in X timeframe typically behave in X manner." Just like real life signs, it can match a person exactly or be completely wrong. :)
GW2 home server- Sorrow's Furnance Kalavier.1097
The Noble The SurvivorThe Commander

Feedback is great, and helps to improve us. If something seems off in my bios, come poke me and discuss it! If something is awesome, tell me! :)
Posted Nov 25, 18
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices