Recent Threads
Main Forum

Help with an Ascalonian Ghost Character

5 replies
Pogs:
+1
Ever since I've started playing Gw2 in '13, I've been fascinated by the Ghosts of Ascalon and the lore around it. I thought it would be really neat to play as a character that is an Ascalonian Necromancer who managed to retain her free will, much like Bria, perhaps insofar as to make my character Bria's sister. Unable to pass on, Margoux Fournier wanders the earth trying to find a way to free her friends and loved ones from the foefire.

I have three questions/problems with making this character.

1. I have never played the original Guild Wars. How much would this be a problem? I've read the "Ghosts of Ascalon" book and have read up on lore. I thought about perhaps making it that since my character, Margoux, has been wandering the earth for three hundred years that her memory of her life is foggy.

2. How to telegraph my character's appearance and name to communicate that she is an Ascalonian ghost? I've looked for something to make my character look transparent, to no avail. I've thought about stacking Winter's Heart Infusion and Ghost Infusion on top of each other, would that work?

3. Does this character break lore at all? I think she might stretch it a little bit, but perhaps in an acceptable way? Margoux was a scholar in life, as well as a necromancer and estranged sibling of Bria. Plus, Margoux's powers were weakened, Whether from resisting or from the Foefire itself she can no longer remember.
Posted Dec 3, 18 · OP
Pogs:
+259
Well I will say first off making that appearance is easy. All one has to do is consume a ghost strawberry, which can be bought for like, 2 copper each. The problem here comes in that, Ascalonian ghosts who retain their personalities are VERY rare. Most, as we know, reset their memories at the end of the day. Relieve the same day over and over again, never able to break the cycle.

I will say, I would not go the sister angle. Claiming to be related to any canon character is going to raise a few eyebrows from the get go! And then you have this statement from the wiki: "Bria is the only known victim of The Foefire that's been able to retain her free will, access all the power that she possessed in life, and take on the appearance of a living human. Bria is the only known victim of The Foefire that's been able to retain her free will, access all the power that she possessed in life, and take on the appearance of a living human."

I think a better angle would perhaps be someone who died after the Foefire. Ghosts from that point onwards seem to work as normal ghosts should, no weird rules attached.

Again, a ghost from the Foefire era would not be... impossible? But the only ones we know of were from the book and Bria. So youd have many eyebrows raised, and have to roelplay them with people who consent to a bit of bending if that makes sense?

Anyways, hope this helps you out a bit!
verdance_forum.png
Posted Dec 3, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+16
I agree with Trisbaine here.
The problem when you roleplay in a existing world that you are not involved in the creation is that you can only make additions to it. You can not change anything that has been clearly stated (such as, there are no other ghosts retaining their memory). So if you want to do something unusual, which is of course the more interesting thing to do, you need to find a way to make your character work within these constrains.

In your case I would advise you to rethink your character. She may not be able to be a ghost from that time, but perhaps that is not necessary. Perhaps it is the tragic story of her consciousness being trapped in this world, or perhaps it is the redemption arc, of her trying to free those poor souls from the torture of the foefire that you like.
Find out the key elements that you really care about in her roleplay, and see how you can make them work with what there is in the world.

All of this goes of course with the presumption that you want to publicly rp her. If you have a group of like minded friends, there is a lot more negotiation you can do, but the important thing about publicly rping is to make your character in a way so that it does not offend people, by changing things about the world they live in and care about.
Posted Dec 4, 18 · Last edited Dec 4, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+8
Is it ever explained why Bria is the only Ascalonian ghost that has retained her free will? If we know that we could infer how unlikely or likely it is for other ghosts like her to exist. If it happened once, it could happen twice. The statement that she is the "only known victim of the foefire that retained her free will" doesn't exclude the possibility of other unknown ones, one of which could be a player character.

With that said, I'm not sure if you, Dandelion, gain anything from making the character a victim of the Foefire. Eyebrows will be raised, and I'm not sure if people will even give you a chance to interact with them. They might expect an explanation right away. (Don't give it to them right away because it would make for a good character development setup).
In any case, you'll need to find a reason as to WHY he has retained his free will. Sadly, I'm not sure what a good reason would be. Maybe he made a pact with some entity in the Mists, and the entity was nice enough to keep their mind from being broken by the Foefire? Or maybe the entity's mind was vaporized instead?
Maybe the best option would for him to be a ghost who thinks he died at the Foefire but in reality he's not related at all to that. The memory of a traumatized three hundread year old ghost can't be that reliable!
32o4Tjx.png
Kairos | Naxalas | Ghorlick | Ildur | Ruphia | Rhion | Ulanan | Nyx
Posted Dec 4, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+1
wrote:
Is it ever explained why Bria is the only Ascalonian ghost that has retained her free will? If we know that we could infer how unlikely or likely it is for other ghosts like her to exist. If it happened once, it could happen twice. The statement that she is the "only known victim of the foefire that retained her free will" doesn't exclude the possibility of other unknown ones, one of which could be a player character.

My headcanon is that maybe the reason is because Bria was an exceptionally powerful necromancer in life. That's why I made Margoux one as well. I thought that maybe if they were explained as siblings who were taught under the same person, maybe they learned the same thing that allowed them to retain their free will. But I don't want to be a god mode character, so I'm perfectly comfortable with Margoux losing most of her power resisting the foefire or to the test of time.

wrote:
I will say, I would not go the sister angle. Claiming to be related to any canon character is going to raise a few eyebrows from the get go! And then you have this statement from the wiki: "Bria is the only known victim of The Foefire that's been able to retain her free will, access all the power that she possessed in life, and take on the appearance of a living human. Bria is the only known victim of The Foefire that's been able to retain her free will, access all the power that she possessed in life, and take on the appearance of a living human."

Newbie question, sorry:

I get the reasons why one should avoid rping that their character knows or is a relative to a well-know Npc like Caithe, Logan Thackeray, or even a minor story character like Demmi Beetlestone would be a problem, but Bria is just a repeating event character. For future reference, Is it even a problem to be like "Nameless NPC on Blank Street corner is my Dad." Where are the lines?

Also: Don't worry, I kinda got the sense that Margoux is more for planned out groups who already know that my character will be present or for Para RPs on tumblr rather than taking her to a public event. Even from RP motivation standards, it would be really stupid for a ghost to just wander into a big city and be like "Hey dudes, sup?" and expect things to not go south very quickly. At the very least, I may make a character introduction thread and see if I get any bites.

I have another character I'm working on for public Rping. I'll be introducing her very soon. ^0^
Posted Dec 4, 18 · OP · Last edited Dec 4, 18
Pogs:
+8
When you point at the Nameless Barkeep in Generic Tavern of Blank Street to say "he is my dad", the NPC already is an undefined entity. You are just giving them a definition for that particular scene; as soon as you leave, the NPC goes back to being the Nameless Barkeep instead of being your character's dad. By contrast, Bria is a defined entity. She has a name and is directly related to an event. By saying she is your character's sibling you are adding a trait that is persistent to her existence.
It'd be akin to going into a Lord of the Rings roleplay scene while bringing a character who is "Tom Bombadil's brother". Of course, Tom Bombadil is a bit more important to that story than a random NPC in this game, but hopefuly you get the point.
Do note that the only reason you might meet resistance from players in general is because Bria is special, what with having resisted the Foefire and being in an event. If she was Fred the wandering salesman, I don't think anyone would mind.

Another less "meta" problem is: if you get to choose play as Bria's sibling, can other people do the same? What if you all run into each other? How will you manage that?

It would be different if Bria was stated in-game to have had a teacher (let's call him Patrick) who also had an indeterminate number of students. The group "Patrick's students" would be functionally just another organization, like "the Priory", or "The Iron Legion". Then you could go with "he's one of his students", or whatever, without having to stablish a completely new trait to a canonical character. You'd just be claiming one of those generic and undefined entities who already existed in-universe (the "other students") to give it definition.

I'm looking forward to those introductions!
32o4Tjx.png
Kairos | Naxalas | Ghorlick | Ildur | Ruphia | Rhion | Ulanan | Nyx
Posted Dec 4, 18
Pog
List
Undo
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices