Recent Threads
Main Forum

Writing & Art Prompt Challenge with ~Prize!~

5 replies
Kae
Pogs:
+114
Benefactor
Hey y'all! So, I'm excited to say that I'm hosting the first prompt challenge sponsored by The Writers' Roost! I'm running this challenge mainly with writers in mind, but visual artists are also invited to participate. And there is a ~prize~

tumblr_oabhkmgk6I1tod2eco1_500.gif

But first things first--

Rules
The rules are simple. I will give you three prompts (listed at the end of this post) and the clock starts now. If you submit a piece by the deadline that meets the guidelines below, I'll send you 10 gold (shout-out to Arty, whose holiday giveaway is financing this expedition). This is not for professional publication; you don't have to be William Shakespeare and your submission does not have to be the next great work of art. There will be no judging. The point is to create a thing and get it in on time.

~ The deadline is next Sunday, 1/27/19

~ Your submission must use at least one of the prompts provided. You may use any or all of the prompts in whatever way you see fit, but explain in your author's/artist's note how your chosen prompt(s) inspired the piece you made.

~ Make sure I know where to send your 10g--either include your game handle in the creator's notes or PM me with it.

~ Entries may be GW2-related or original. They may be about your RP character or not. I don't care.

~ Writers: Your submission should be at least 500 words and not more than 2,000 words.

~ Artists: Your submission should be at least a completed sketch.

~ No explicit sexual content. Violence and profanity are fine, but please include a warning about them in your notes so that readers can make an educated decision about what they're getting into. If your submission is an artwork that includes intense violence or profanity, put it behind a spoiler cut.

~ Submit your piece by posting it to this thread. Include your creators' notes at the top of the piece.

~ ABSOLUTELY NO shitting on other people's work. The purpose of this challenge is to support creativity, not crush each other's hearts and ambitions. Critiques and commentary on individual pieces do not belong on this thread. They belong in PMs or on the Writers' Roost Discord (link below and also in my signature). Don't critique unless you were invited to.

~ On that note, if you want critiques, say so in your creators' notes.

You must submit your entry by or on next Sunday, 1/27/19. If you want to chatter with other creators, share ideas, ask for critique, or whatever, join the Writers' Roost Discord.

The Prompts

"Spells are the hardest thing in the world to get right."
(Opening sentence of The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. II by Diana Wynne Jones).

Landscape-national-geographic-6910037-1024-768.jpg
(photo by National Geographic)

"Tennessee River Runs Low," by The Secret Sisters

Again, you may use any or all prompts in any way, but you must use at least one to get the 10g prize.

Kae#8761
Posted Jan 21, 19 · OP
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+372
Author's Note: I chose to do prompt one, because although I wanted to do two, the word "golden" would've been smacking the reader in the face every paragraph given the appearance of the characters--my alts Cara and Dido, plus some family. Yay backstory! \o/ The prompt inspired me to write about how Dido first discovered her elementalist inclinations, through the eyes of her big sister, just because I've been wanting to write more for her lately. Game handle is isolcity.3502, and here is a lovely soundtrack to go with the piece!
Spoiler: SubmissionShow
Posted Jan 26, 19 · Last edited Jan 26, 19
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+36
I choose the first propt because I liked it, yeah I don't have a particular reason. The word spell caught me and then I just threw some words around. Spells need to be handled with care and even then, there is always the risk something goes wrong or at least not as expected.

I decided to play a little with my main, the Mesmer/Chronomancer for this but it has, for the moment, no tie with the rest of her background.

Posted Jan 26, 19
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+23
Alright--I have a deadline looming over me so this is just a quick sketch with some color slapped on here. IDK maybe I'll keep working on it later?? I need to get back to work though :(

I used the photo as a color palette + mountain reference to draw Solace. Extreme liberties in clothing design with elements taken from like, the three outfits he's been wearing lately. He's also more of a "wind" guy than a "sun" guy but shshhshhhhhh it's fiiiine
Spoiler: Show

Thanks for challenges, I haven't done anything for myself in a really long time.
Posted Jan 26, 19
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+32
Author’s Note: I chose prompt number two. The photo reminded me of Timberline Falls. Not only is that zone one of my favorites but it really reminds me of my RP main, Eyna. Eyna is from Timberline Falls and feels very connected to the area. I decided to write one of the RP stories I have about her childhood in the area. The story highlights one of her greatest fears and her greatest shortcomings.
Jajki.1846
Check out Eyna's blog!
Posted Jan 27, 19 · Last edited Jan 27, 19
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+179
I choose prompt number #2.
Spoiler: it's a haikuShow
*entitlement intensifies*

Posted Jan 28, 19
Pog
List
Undo
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices