Recent Threads
Main Forum

Resolving the IC game story and IC RP story - advice?

5 replies
Pogs:
Hello! I'm an old-school RPer. I started with table top, and husband and I go to game conventions biannually where we get to soak in the 1-shot LARPs for days with a group of enduring friends. I've also been participating in text-based RP for 12 years, paragraph based, fond of collaborative storytelling and immersive, long-term arcs. So the notion of a robust RP scene here in GW2 has me bouncing.

All of that is to say, I'm stuck when it comes to writing a background/starting point for my character. What has me conflicted is, how do RPers here resolve the personal storyline provided us by the game (the Commander and all s/he does and experiences) and whatever RP-based IC background you want to create purely for the sake of RP? Obviously, we can't ALL be the Commander ICly and outside of our stories. Do you just keep them separate, sort of like the IC/OOC divide?
Posted Apr 8, 19 · OP
Pogs:
+6
Yes, we pretty much keep the story character ( The commander) and our RP characters separated. They are two completely different entities. Otherwise, it would be a mess with hundreds of commanders, hero's of Shaemoor, ect running around.
Posted Apr 8, 19 · Last edited Apr 8, 19
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
Thank you! That's exactly the feedback I needed.
Posted Apr 8, 19 · OP
Pogs:
+6
NP! Feel free to ask any other questions you might have.
Posted Apr 8, 19
Pogs:
+1,513
Some people RP being related to events of the personal story/living story, some don't.

I have, for example, approached a new episode (or even expansion) with this question first: "What of my characters would actually be involved in this situation?" And if they actually would be involved, I try to write in what they did for my head, while other characters don't do anything related to it directly.

Like recently, I describe my vigil character as being off with the vigil, while most of my other characters are still at their homes. Nobody directly knows or interacts with the commander/main cast for my roster, outside vague "Oh yeah, I saw X at base once."
GW2 home server- Sorrow's Furnance Kalavier.1097
The Noble The SurvivorThe Commander

Feedback is great, and helps to improve us. If something seems off in my bios, come poke me and discuss it! If something is awesome, tell me! :)
Posted Apr 8, 19
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+46
I'm still pretty new to this, but the way I've been writing my character profiles is basically treating the Commander as being someone else in the world, and acknowledging that all the world events happened. My characters just happen to be folks who lived in that world; either they were at the event, heard about the event from someone else, or have no idea it happened. But otherwise all my characters will start from 0 and work up from there.
Character Profile: Simeon McLemore

Character profile: Joseph Elliot
Posted Tue at 12:13 pm
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices