Recent Threads
Main Forum
Page
of 6

Mentoring - A guide to Roleplay (Part 1 & 2).

54 replies
Pogs:
+33
This is a pretty great comprehensive and concise guide, kudos, and thanks for taking the time to share this with others!
Posted Jul 31, 12
Pogs:
+142
No problem! Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. The more people we can help teach, the more we can strengthen the community as a whole.
sig1mockup1.jpg
Posted Jul 31, 12 · OP
Pogs:
+44
Wonderful guide! I've been roleplaying for a few years, but this guide was fantastic for refreshing some of the most important and fundamental practices when it comes to roleplaying. The colors helped break the guide up from the (amazing) wall of text that this is!

I'll certainly be directing beginning roleplayers, that are eager to learn, to this guide.

/bookmarks
Posted Jul 31, 12
Pogs:
+511
Guided by Fate
Very nice guide! I agree with most of the things, though there was a part that I've come across several times the past couple of years, yet never really agree 100% with:
OPAnother very common example is when a player has true romantic feelings for another player, and they lead their character to pursue the other person’s character. wrote:

While I generally agree that separating IC and OOC is one if the ground pillars in making roleplay work, I don't think there's anything wrong with sticking with romance with for instance your RL partner if that is what make you feel most comfortable. Roleplay easily does become a somewhat personal thing, and even people who generally have no problem seperating IC and OOC can feel uncomfortable getting into serious romance with someone other than their partner, and personally, I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. This is something we do have fun after all, and you should never feel bad for doing it the way that make -you- feel comfortable. It is between you and your RL partner to figure out what work for you best as a couple. For some, total separation of IC and OOC might be the best, with both parts pursuing other characters, for others, avoiding romance with others than each other might be the best solution. For some, as in my relationship, it's a bit of neither/both.

I'm just pointing it out because I've met a couple of people who felt like bad roleplayers because someone had pursued them ICly and they felt uncomfortably playing the romance, but felt like they didn't separate IC and OOC enough if they didn't. And that's a shame to be honest, because it -doesn't make them a bad roleplayer.
It's one of those things where I think there's no right or wrong way of doing it. Do what fit you and your partner best.
dreamerssignature2.png
Posted Jul 31, 12
Pogs:
+142
Thanks everyone for the input! I'm really glad that it's helpful.

In regards to your comment, Kashemia, I would say that I agree with you in that instance. In the case where both people have feelings for each other in roleplay, there is absolutely nothing wrong with exploring that romance further in roleplay, or even a different side of it.

Perhaps I should have made that sentence more clear. I was more referring, in that instance, to a case where that love is not returned/present in the other party, and rather than honest communication about OOC feelings, they live out their fantasy in the IC roleplay. That's not healthy, as they are not truly expressing their feelings, and hiding behind that IC/OOC barrier.

Actually, I will go and amend that sentence after I post this, so that it is clear that I do not mean when someone is already in a relationship. I absolutely don't want to make ANYONE feel guilty with this guide, or like they are roleplaying "wrong".

There is no wrong way to roleplay. That is like saying there is a wrong way to dream. I very strongly believe that everyone should be free to express their creativity in the way that is comfortable and right for them.

I made this guide though to assist people with expressing and developing their dreams into characters, and giving the players the tools to make them dynamic and organic, or expanding their horizons and trying a new path in their creative pursuits.
sig1mockup1.jpg
Posted Jul 31, 12 · OP
Pogs:
+142
I've amended that sentence, Kashemia. Thank you for having pointed it out. :)
Posted Jul 31, 12 · OP
Pogs:
+511
Guided by Fate
I figured that was probably what you meant, I just wanted to point it out since I've seen several instances of people calling someone a bad roleplayer for only doing romance with their partner.

My husband and I usually joke that some years ago, if you met a couple online who were both roleplaying, you'd always expect them to roleplay a couple if they were doing romance at all. Now, if our characters ever end up in a romance, we tend to get weird looks for it :d
That's of course an exaggeration, but yeah, hehe.

Anyway, again, thumbs up for a great guide!
dreamerssignature2.png
Posted Jul 31, 12
Pogs:
+142
I am going to write up a second guide, to go alongside this one. I was thinking of discussing a few things such as:

-Use of language to make emotes more interesting.
-Some conventions typically used in emotes and why.
-Ways to describe characters that makes them come to life.

-A deeper look into character creation, and some tips for that process.
-Some tips on realism in roleplay and "looking through your character's eyes." (I know there's an awesome realism guide, I will try to not overlap on points made there).

-Tips on making a heroic and realistic character.
-Tips on making a believable and effective villain (and ways to roleplay as a villain that makes it a little easier).
-Tips on helping strengthen the roleplay community.
-And more!

What are your thoughts on this? Is there anything else you would like to see me talk about as well?
sig1mockup1.jpg
Posted Jul 31, 12 · OP
Pogs:
+6
This was a very nice guide, and I especially liked what you said at the end about the Text fighting. Although very often, I have experienced that almost everyone roleplays their character as extremely overpowered when it comes to fighting, like I'm always the one who have to lose in the end, or take a hit here and there.... Wish more people would see this guide, and actually follow it :/
Posted Jul 31, 12
Pogs:
+142
Unfortunately, a lot of people can become really attached to their characters, and they worry that losing a fight will wreck the character they've worked so hard to make. They don't want something negative to happen to their character, and they do not trust the other roleplayer to respect their character.

In fact, it is often the opposite result, and harms their character and reputation. By refusing to let their character be hurt or affected by others, the character becomes static or stagnant after a while. The most dynamic changes I've had in characters I've played over the years have stemmed from others. If roleplayers approach combat as something to drive the story forward, and treat each other and each other's characters with respect, then trust can be established and a lot of those barriers and issues disappear.

Here's something I do to try to deal with that kind of situation, where someone seems like they might not fight fair. Athough I try to roleplay very organically and do not pre-arrange anything unless needed, if I sense that someone is newer to roleplay or a little skittish I'll try to talk to them OOC before we start fighting and pre-determine how the fight will end up.

I do this for a few reasons:

1. Especially when I am playing a villain, it allows me to talk to them separate from my character and express to them that the combat is only occurring because of the way the story is going, not because I wish to harm them or their character on a personal level. I usually remind (if needed) them that antagonists are present in every story of note, and I am fulfilling that role for their character.

2. It gives them a measure of control without them feeling they have to force it by god-moding (making their character invulnerable). I try to ask them what they want to achieve from the combat, and express to them the intent I have for the combat, so that they know what I am planning and feel less worried.

3. I am able to ask them for their permission for the level of harm that may occur. As a personal rule, I try to never inflict permanent damage to someone else's character unless they expressly want it. If the other player knows that it's something their character will survive and heal from, usually they're a lot more willing to play fair.

Hope that helps some with your frustration, Aleks.

Edit: I'm going to add this little snippet to the front page, to make it easy to find.
sig1mockup1.jpg
Posted Jul 31, 12 · OP · Last edited Jul 31, 12
Page
of 6
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices