No users online.
Recent Threads
Main Forum
Page
of 6

Mentoring - A guide to Roleplay (Part 1 & 2).

54 replies
Pogs:
+1,557
Admin
Benefactor
Lady Decadence wrote:
I am going to write up a second guide, to go alongside this one. I was thinking of discussing a few things such as:

-Use of language to make emotes more interesting.
-Some conventions typically used in emotes and why.
-Ways to describe characters that makes them come to life.

-A deeper look into character creation, and some tips for that process.
-Some tips on realism in roleplay and "looking through your character's eyes." (I know there's an awesome realism guide, I will try to not overlap on points made there).

-Tips on making a heroic and realistic character.
-Tips on making a believable and effective villain (and ways to roleplay as a villain that makes it a little easier).
-Tips on helping strengthen the roleplay community.
-And more!

What are your thoughts on this? Is there anything else you would like to see me talk about as well?

You may add onto your already existing guide, as there are already a few fantastic guides for roleplaying, for beginners and people who consider themselves intermediate roleplayers, and this guide is already stickied.
Posted Jul 31, 12
Pogs:
+6
It does, thanks :)
Posted Jul 31, 12
Pogs:
+142
Alright, Dagny. I will definitely do that. Once I have finished writing up the new content, I will edit this post to add the new stuff I am planning.

Thanks for the input!

EDIT: I have posted up the second portion, and labelled it as Part 2.
sig1mockup1.jpg
Posted Jul 31, 12 · OP · Last edited Jul 31, 12
Pogs:
+12
Hey, first I want to say that this is a lovely guide, and for a roleplayer who have been roleplaying in many years I myself found many things i'm going to use. Theres just few things I didn't get and I was wondering if you would take a little time and help me out with them.

- You need good traits aswell as bad traits with your character to balance them, I was just wondering how bad they exactly need to be, If lets say my character is a normal civilian and a kind hearted one, then a bad trait could be that she needed to save everything and help everyone she came close to, or would that be a balanced trait? since in some situations it might be a bad thing to save the murder, but are it a good trait instead? Or maybe it need to be worse so that everytime she sees blood she faints?

- And one more thing, I am a roleplayer who are one of the few who barely can go through a roleplay with the same set clothes twice, I always change and mixes the cloth, I just wanted to know if thats a bad thing or a good thing as I didn't see that clear a view in the post (not to be rude in any way I might just have been missunderstanding it)

Thanks on forehand. :3
Posted Aug 11, 12
Pogs:
+213
Sendia Silverrose wrote:

- And one more thing, I am a roleplayer who are one of the few who barely can go through a roleplay with the same set clothes twice, I always change and mixes the cloth, I just wanted to know if thats a bad thing or a good thing as I didn't see that clear a view in the post (not to be rude in any way I might just have been missunderstanding it)

Thanks on forehand. :3

I don't think it's a bad thing either way, many movies and games never have their character change clothes(or rarely) as their clothes can be iconic, but at the same time, changing clothes at appropriate times, adds in a depth and realism to your character. It is really just up to you and your personal opinions.
Posted Aug 11, 12
Pogs:
+142
Hey Sendia, sorry for the delayed response (I was on vacation :3 ).

Let me do my best to assist you with your questions.

When I am making a character, and I want to balance them, I think that it helps to think of characters in terms of vices and virtues, and strengths and weaknesses. And I try for a one-to-one ratio.

For example, my character that I've made for GW2, Amacynth, has a great knack with numbers and is quite business-savvy (because of her upbringing). However, she is naive when it comes to street-sense, and therefore can get in trouble there. She has lots of money, but is also hated for being wealthy and doesn't know how to be pragmatic. She is somewhat weak in combat, because of never really having to get her hands dirty, but she is also quite agile from what training she has had (so she's good at dodging and getting away).

And so on. I try to pair things one-to-one. And really, as you mentioned, sometimes a vice is also a virtue. In your case, your character is kind-hearted. It means that they make friends easily, and can open up to others, but it also is a burden when your character feels compelled to help. I think that is balanced and more than reasonable.

Another thing to keep in mind is that even if a character starts out weaker/less knowledgeable, they do evolve and learn over time. So, as a personal preference, I like to make my characters a little weaker overall to start, so they have room to grow. I love to watch the progression and development of characters. It's dynamic, and organic.

Now in regards to clothing, that depends on the character. For any character, things like changing clothing and anything in general should fall to being driven by the setting and action. What I mean, is your character should have a reason to change clothing. If they are a fashionista, or trying to impress, or are obsessive with clothing, or they go from outside to inside... those are all reasons to change clothing. There are of course many other reasons, and I am not saying you have to limit yourself, but try to make sure there is a justification for it in the RP.

Hope that helps, and feel free to ask anything else. :)
sig1mockup1.jpg
Posted Aug 12, 12 · OP
Pogs:
+105
What an excellent guide, and so well written!
I have been a roleplayer for many years at this point, but I still found several points which I found extremely useful, particularly when it comes to the fine and elegant use of custom emotes and text fights..
Posted Aug 12, 12
Pogs:
+142
Thanks for the feedback! :d
sig1mockup1.jpg
Posted Aug 12, 12 · OP
Pogs:
This is an amazing read and very helpful! With this game being the first one I will be RPing in I found a lot of helpful tips for a good start. Thank you!
Posted Aug 14, 12
Pogs:
+142
I'm glad you liked it. Let me know if you have any questions at all.
sig1mockup1.jpg
Posted Aug 14, 12 · OP
Page
of 6
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices