Recent Threads
Main Forum
Page
of 2

Server Balance and WvW [Updated]

16 replies
Pogs:
+7
Hello there strangers, this is my first post here.

I've done some basic research tallying up the numbers per realm. sourced 'mostly' from here. http://www.gw2guilds.org/

EDIT: After looking at the guilds on this site, the players registered to this website and the balance of posts between the EU and American player base. I feel confident that this server will stand more than a fair chance in WvW. While the population will still likely be lower than a selected few of the very highest populated servers It should not make WvW impossible due to player limits being able to enter WvW at one time. A player base beyond a certain point will not be able to take advantage of it and will find that they are having to queue a lot during the day, with the only exception in the young hours of night time gaming.

The best thing we can do for the server is to learn and educate it about WvW's seige and supply uses and take pride in being part of - from what I've seen, a very fast growing, motivated community on Piken Square.

Server Balance (original post)

Now roughly, according to http://www.gw2guilds.org, some of the main server populations, without taking random unlisted players into account is going to look like the following:

1150players - Whiteside ridge
1004players - Seafarer's rest
1195players - Ring of Fire
2625players - Desolation
6352players - Blacktide (one guild here has 6000 players for some reason, could be a lie)
1514players - Gandara

60players - Piken Square.

Don't panic - I know how this looks - so I looked up all the european RP guilds myself and tried to get a more accurate number, counting all the members of all the RP guilds I could find to get a better picture using 'this' website, and it's main Guild Recruitment list (below)

351players - Piken Square (self added from what I could find at the time of this post from the main Guild listings for piken square)

Edit: The above is part of my original older questioning.

Since my initial observation here and looking at the player base beyond just its forming guilds, I would say there will likely be more than enough players to put up an adequate WvW fight from the RP community alone . This is without taking players that aren't on this website into account which will boost the numbers even more.

Just to clarify there are now over 3000 members on this site. Even though Piken Square's Guild Form is smaller than the Tarnished Coast. Piken Square's server forum seems as active as the Tarnished Coast's. It's hard to say where the region split is but Piken Square seems more than ready for a fight and a half.
Posted Aug 11, 12 · OP · Last edited Aug 24, 12
Pogs:
+239
I've no idea what those numbers represent or where the 60 figure came from :dizzy:

I will say though that during the last beta weekend, we finished second place in WvW. We overtook Seafarers Rest and were pretty much matching the red team (I think it was Lakeside) point for point so their lead didn't really increase after their initial surge of activity put them in first place.
snivel1.jpg
Posted Aug 11, 12
Pogs:
+7
Its what my link lists, because no guilds from piken sq are registered on it - obviously Its not a reliable figure, probably because the RP community shifted servers while others have been set on theres, so the second number is after I looked through guilds advertised on this website.

It's good to hear about your WvW experiance though, obviously this is all theory. I'm just trying to predict how tough it will be to compete with some of the biggest servers. Arguably though Seafarer's rest was originally a USA server and was converted to a EU server only recently. So It's possible it's community has grown really fast. While you beat Seafarer's rest, it could be that they are now much stronger as newer players have set in.

The numbers I list above are some of the biggest servers. Lakeside has around 300 predicted from the database link I gave. If you were matching the server that is predicted 300 then that seems accurate, if Seafarer's rest came even lower it adds some light to my idea that seafarers rest may have gotten a boost in strength since when you fought with them. Imagine facing a server with a prediciton of 1500.

I'd be intetrested to hear your reply.
Posted Aug 11, 12 · OP · Last edited Aug 11, 12
Pogs:
+345
If it's based on the lack of guilds being there, trust me, it'll change very rapidly and swiftly. I know several people from Rift, TOR and so on who will be logging on and making their guilds come the 28th. So relax =3
2lSwERP.jpg
Posted Aug 11, 12
Pogs:
+7
Just to recap http://www.gw2guilds.org/ is where i've based most of my ideas. tallying up not just the guild count but the individual player count per guild.

I know it is not an accurate reflection, but its probably still worth discussing.
Posted Aug 11, 12 · OP
Pogs:
+345
Balthien wrote:
the individual player count per guild

Per Guild...

I don't personally see the issue. Again try not to worry about it, it's not going to be anything alarming.
2lSwERP.jpg
Posted Aug 11, 12
Pogs:
+7
Good to hear, I'm interested to hear about communities I haven't concidered or if I've made any mistakes. But It's not just based on the lack of Guilds listed on that site. My second number tallied some of the player count I could find in the main EU Guild recruitment list on this website. Because I realised it gave a more accurate representation.

Edit: But even with this extra searching which I diddnt do for any other realms, it was still quite a mile beneith some of the giants. And not enough to hold a healthy WvW defence at night time. I predict we will win some of our early fights against servers like ours, but may struggle to win when faced with a giant in a fair fight.

I'm suggesting using the guesting feature and forums to interest RP recruitment might not only be benificial but imperative, We might simply need more numbers to stand a chance. But then again it's interesting as it's hard to judge how many unguilded players there are, or unlisted or independant guilds there are that will add to the numbers on all servers.

I'm not saying we have to match 1500, thats crazy. At A guess I'd say 700-800 players would be healthy. Enough so that if around 1 in 6 or 7 were in WvW, we'd populate a WvW match.Right now it looks like there might be around 500-600, but its hard to predict the unguilded or average player.

Of course its all theory.
Posted Aug 11, 12 · OP · Last edited Aug 11, 12
Pogs:
+33
Both Piken Square and Seafarers Rest where new servers and Piken Square crushed Seafarers Rest. I don't think your numbers mean much. Registration of guilds and members on other sites is not done much by roleplayers because they already use this site as their main hub.
Posted Aug 14, 12
Pogs:
+524
*slams hand into table, spitting as he yells* Any Piken Square soldier is worth ten from any other server!
897a7ffd9a689f92.png
f0ed216f8c5929a5.png
1.jpg
Posted Aug 14, 12
Pogs:
+3
I'm also a bit afraid, but WvW is supposed to balanced every 24h at start, then every 2 weeks (source - go to WvW at Launch section). We're probably gonna get a jolly good trouncing a day or two, maybe a bit more, if population changes too fast, but after that we'll be matched up with 2 others servers who should have the same population/WvW level as us.

Plus, Sara is right, the servers' announced populations/guilds aren't the best indicator, let's see the real thing at launch.

It's a bit obvious that Piken Square isn't gonna be the the #1 WvW server, but I'm pretty confident that we'll have 2 enemy servers that fit us ;)

MOD EDIT: Please ensure language follows Site Rules - TottWriter
9c7ee50de1195b40.png
Posted Aug 14, 12 · Last edited Aug 14, 12
Page
of 2
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices