Main Forum
Page
of 7

WvW, Why are we falling behind?!

62 replies
Ardeth x
Pogs:
Blis wrote:
I also strongly believe that we have an advantage in the long haul. Many of the other average servers will see their populations decline as people jump ship to bigger servers, however because we are the only RP server our population should always be steady. As the times goes on and many of our roleplayers and explorers start to enjoy more time in WvW I expect us to do increasingly better. In many games the RP servers are actually the highest populated servers or near the top.
THis is exactly what happened on AION, Lumiel, which then became Israphel, was the strongest ad most active server, and a big part of that was the active pvp-RP guilds.
I should have learned to abide by 2RP's rules.
Posted Aug 26, 12
Pogs:
+30
We should all just do our thang and not worry 'bout it.
Things'll be well.

Just wait ^^, we'll get there.
Wesuteru.9132 -- Piken Square [EU]

Mender Aoife - Sylvari Guardian
Keellean - Sylvari Thief
Nu Danii - Human Necromancer
Posted Aug 26, 12
Pogs:
+5
Well, I've been doing quite a lot of WvW these last couple of days, and the three major problems I'm seeing is:

* Lack of commuinication, if I ask for the status @ <location>, and I know there is people there, then I expect to get an answer, so its possible to device forces as necessary.
* No supply, people should at all times carry supplies, but, they are not, more often the not, I've put down a ram only to see no one else being able to build it.
* No siege weapons, this is probably due to very few having a lot of money, especially since we don't have the tradepost up.

Yesterday, the guild I am apart of - The Council of the Wall, established because we saw these three points and decided to do something about it (we concluded it on a lengthy discussion at the wall of Dreaming Bay, fyi) - reinforced our Garrison with multiple arrow carts (i think about 5? 6?), we had multiple upgrades, a healthy supply, and anyone participating yesterday remembered that we were able to protect the garrison from enemy forces.
Same goes for our tower at Cliffside, we had two arrow carts there, and they had a major trouble obtaining that.
To deal with the matter of communication, many of our members were online on our mumble server. Those that were not, we shared intel with in the /guild chat.
Posted Aug 28, 12
Pogs:
+168
Whow.. the official game starts today.. and already people wonder why everyone isnt full strength and totally savy in WvWvW? Serious?

I mean, this is more complex siege PvP than in any other game, and people i guess are still wide eyed learnig the mechanics. Stuff like "have supplies with you" might need a bit to get into flesh & blood.
“Indecision with the passing of time becomes decision.”
Posted Aug 28, 12
Pogs:
+5
I'd like to add my voice to those saying give it time.

I really like WvW but it is hard to tear myself away from the rest of the game. From what I saw when I played, we were holding our own in the eternal battleground and our borderland, but we had no presence at all in the other two. Also, because I never had to que to get into the eternal battleground, we must not have reached the population cap for that map. When more people get involved things will go better. I have to confess that I am guilty of going to the eternal battleground when I could probably help the server more by going to another zone.

Although there is a lack in communication, it wasn't so bad. I remember during beta events and stress tests, we improved considerably over time. There is a comfort in playing in very large groups because it feels safe and you take a lot of objectives. It takes a while to see that several smaller groups is more effective than one big one since it covers more objectives.
Posted Aug 28, 12
Pogs:
+78
Roleplayers will roleplay, PvPers will PvP. Very few will do both and even less will do both effectively.
You do not have a right to own public spaces in-game. You do not have the right to ICly harass others into accepting your authority over a public space. Approval by the majority does not give you the right to tell the minority that they cannot RP whenever and however they please, no matter how rude or tasteless you might personally think they're acting. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. -- by Amidwx
Posted Aug 28, 12
Pogs:
Or rather, people will lone wolf it and ignore any attempts of coordination like they do in any MMO whether it's been out for seven hours or seven years. ;-)

On the whole, I agree with Arixx, although I don't see how having your guild on voice or in guildchat is dealing with WvW coordination, unless it was your guild members not giving you an answer, in which case it's a little worrying.

From my experience in a couple of days worth of WvW it seems the problem is a lack of experiece. People don't pick up supplies, but I'm sure everyone will learn that. Another thing I'm hoping for is that people will learn the limits of their numbers and resources. I've already seen too many attempts where someone organises an attack on a tower or keep with too few people or without siege, despite advice otherwise and every time those attacks have failed. Against the evil green team who are rumoured to have infinite numbers, we really need to plan carefully.
Rhelex - Asura Necromancer
Posted Aug 28, 12
Pogs:
+5
Well, through coordination our guild was able to quickly take down focused targets. As there is a limit to 5 people within a group (atleast until we get squads, which requires a commandor book, which costs 100g), we had to do it that way. We simply shouted out the target, and a member of each group just CTRL + T clicked it, and it would fall down. Thats for the offensive part. Same goes for finding out how much supply people have, how much siege weapons they have available and so on.
For the defensive part, we would have scouts at our towers and keeps, keeping us under constant update of potentional enemy attackers, and also always ensuring that the siege weapon were active so they wouldn't despawn (they do so within a given time limit, I believe its 30 minutes).

We try to actively include the community, through sharing information on /team and /map (not that it makes a difference as far as I'm concerned?) so people know whats happening. We also try to inform people to carry supply at all times, and to tell us wether they have supply or not, so we can put down a second ram, arrow cart or similar siege weapon depending on situation.

However, we are getting very few responses. Daily I see one or two people that are good at communicating with the rest, but the majority is just too silent. If people have suggestions as to why this is, then I'd love to hear, and even more so if people have solutions. I really do like it here on Piken Square, and its sad seeing us lose (even though getting in #2 place with Vabbi at the bottom will keep my reserves filled for a good time foreward!), and I want to help us win :)

During one of our rematches today, a person suggested that we should obtain a teamspeak server for voice communication, and while that might help it won't change the fact that people forget rule number 1 about WvW: Always bring supply!
Posted Aug 28, 12
Pogs:
We were doing well last night at one point, very nearly winning with the green team holding places worth 335 points in total, and us 300, with poor Vabbi getting about 70. In other words there is hope to win one day,
Rhelex - Asura Necromancer
Posted Aug 28, 12
Pogs:
+41
I've noticed a lot of good PvPers instantly switching the server when they find out it's an RP server.
apudassigjpg-1.jpg
Posted Aug 29, 12
Page
of 7
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices