Main Forum
Page
of 7

WvW, Why are we falling behind?!

62 replies
Pogs:
+205
Benefactor
Update on how Piken Square is doing. We totally crushed the two new german servers on friday/saturday. On saturday night we where matched against elona's reach and underworld and when I went to bed we where ahead on both. This morning I woke up and the entire map is taken by Elona's Reach (biggest german server fyi).

So we are now taking back our lands bit by bit however in doing so I'm convinced that the only reason Elona's reach is ahead now is because they managed to make a late night or early morning assault. That is unfortunatly the key to winning in WvW I'm afraid, a small team can capture the entire map at lets say 5 AM without problems, and then the next day the advantage in points and in supplies will be so big that its very hard for the other teams to pull ahead.

It's a weakness of the system, because theres no fun in capturing the map at 5 AM when you have no opposition, but I'm not sure if its something that can be fixed.

We are at least making a comeback and we are ahead of Underworld a server that's also been around since BWE1 and with an established community (just to make sure that all the naysayers realise that yes, roleplayers can kick some ass).
bliiissss.png

Join the Unofficial European RP Community Server!
Posted Sep 2, 12
Pogs:
+1
Two can play at that game!

5AM it is!

I doubt it will be too much of an issue once the two week rankings take hold, as the score bonus wont be every day (unless they do it every day), so the best team can push for it during the day.
20fc49e8ac1972f6.png
Posted Sep 3, 12 · OP
Pogs:
I kind of hope they don't fix it. Its a good strategy and it will allow people to play when they can versus when the mian stream does.
Posted Sep 3, 12
Pogs:
+1
I don't think it's a good strategy - it essentially amounts to avoiding fighting to win. Do agree that people should be allowed to play whenever they are able, but it is a shame that overall victory is determined by the playtimes of a minority rather than the actions of the prime-time majority. As far as I know we've been acquitting ourselves quite well most weekday evenings, and matchups would be close if that was the only time taken into consideration.

As long as we end up fighting servers who are very active at prime time down the line I'll be happy though. Looking forward to having a crack at Blacktide and Gandara this evening with whoever I can cajole into WvW with me.
Posted Sep 3, 12
Pogs:
+52
We could use some more people actually reading the chat, tonight has been a frustrating battle where the same group would make the same mistake three times in a row. They dont listen to what the team or map chat tells them, they just mindlessly zerg where they feel like or where they see people moving.

Like this we'll never get the Garrison back.
Posted Sep 4, 12
Pogs:
+205
Benefactor
I would like to make notice that yesterday we actually defeated the Reddit server Whiteside Ridge.
bliiissss.png

Posted Sep 6, 12
Pogs:
+1
Like vabbi, whiteside ridges organisation and numbers dwindled lately
Posted Sep 7, 12 · OP
Pogs:
+205
Benefactor
Yep we are now once again ahead of Whiteside Ridge in our group. Beating the Reddit server hands down. We are ahead today and this proves two theories i've had:

1. That the theory that RP'ers would somehow be inferior in WvW is based on nothing. Tons of big WvW guilds went Whiteside Ridge and we are now beating them handsdown.

2. That while other servers may have many server jumpers and see their numbers quickly dwindle if a few matches are lost, Piken Square will have a solid and stable population of mature WvW'ers who will stay on the serve because they like RP and you can't get RP anywhere else.
bliiissss.png

Posted Sep 7, 12
Pogs:
+28
I've had fun co-ordinating teams of players on Zarmi, last week we did very well in holding almost everything against the two DE worlds we were matched against.

Be sure that once my account in un-banned and hack-proofed, I'll be back to help organise people into a sharper spear!
Posted Sep 8, 12
Pogs:
+1
Ive had a good time trying to help organize people, lead 4 assaults on keeps thus far, took over zones with a smaller force than our enemy and held them. Split tactics seem to work very well, you take small forces and split them off with resources and weapons to build while the main force drawls more attention and distracts. They believe they are beating you back when the walls are snapped open and your small force rushes in from behind while the large force seems to "retreat", they just advance and pull around for a nice surprise.

Speed is key, speed boosting and moving around faster in WvW is a very KEY element.
Posted Sep 9, 12
Page
of 7
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices