Main Forum
Page
of 7

WvW, Why are we falling behind?!

62 replies
Pogs:
+205
Benefactor
Not been doing so well today but a funny thing to know is that the german server Drakkar Lake that we are fighting are the unofficial German RP server, so its actually roleplayer vs roleplayer in the mists right now.
bliiissss.png

Join the Unofficial European RP Community Server!
Posted Sep 9, 12
Pogs:
+5
Last night I was fighting in one of the border lands and noticed a Drakkar guild of pure Charr roleplaying; as a group they looked quite impressive. It is a shame we can't get any feedback from them when is comes to roleplaying in WvW, as impressive as they looked I am sure there are lessons to be learned about contibuting effectively while roleplaying.

Something that must be avoided if people intend to RP in WvW is the feeling others might have that they are simply not contributing enough. We have a really good community at the moment and we don't want to spoil it, but having said that, bringing some RP into WvW in a pragmatic way could focus players on taking and holding objectives.

My belief is that they key to WvW is to break up zergs into smaller but still effective groups that can cover more of the map, then communicate and support eachother. On other forums and occasionally on map chat I see people advocating mass zergs as the best stratergy but I am sure this is incorrect. When defending smaller groups can delay or hold off larger groups. If all of server A's strength is sieging server B's castle that is defended by half of Server B's strength, then the other half of server B's strength has a free reign over the rest of the map. Obviously that scenario is an oversimplification but the principal still applies in the real WvW.
Posted Sep 10, 12
Pogs:
+1
I agreee Twido,

Smaller groups are easier to organize and dtrect and work together effectively.
These can then be coordinated into a larger more organized effort.

it will take a little time to develop but this is what PS guilds can do better than other servers if they put their mind and effort to it.
RP in PvP is never an issue when its done for fun and sensibly and can add alot of laughs and enjoyment to what can be a bit stressful or boring at times. However RP should never get in the way of good strategy.

People talk of zergs etc in WvW well so far as I know each server can have the same numberof troops on the map at any one time so it is a non issue and not even an excuse worth considering.

For those who chase the zerg or try to stand in its way without thought planning or strategy - you will get rolled what do ytou expect ? Die with good grace and hopefully learn from your mistake.

I look forward to working on the group tactics and coordination side rather than feeding the meat grinder

Oh and can we please change the title of this thread, its kind of depressing and I think we've moved on from that point by a long way

Posted Sep 10, 12
Agree with both folk on the smaller group front. A lot of it depends on how clever you are with placement. A smaller group will be able to hold a much larger Zerg if you choose to attack on a bridge for instance. Since the large group is shrunk down to an area they cant dodge out of to avoid aoe. Similer, if a zerg is smacking on a keep thats defending but out numbered. A small group could attack from behind and by the time the zerg notices it, there already being hit on two fronts. I love how well the WvWvW feels battle wise, its just such an great time to be had be that attacking or even defending. Nothing feels more awesome than holding out against a massive attack for ages and then having the rest of the server show up to hit and drive off the attacking force.

RP wise. I can see why folk would get upset if a large group of folk were rping. Since we have the que system, it would be waisted bodys not helping out. But theres easy ways round that as well. Having a group organise themself outwith the mists at one of the citys, then marching out to battle so to speak. So that once you get there, the group can get straight into the battle.

And theres going to be times, when a group might decide to hold a keep. Where the down time can be filled with RP. As long as folk arent sitting away in one of the corners roleplaying as the rest of the zone rages, then i doubt anyone will care what folk are up to.
Posted Sep 10, 12
Pogs:
+1
My guild and I, and a couple of the other WAR guilds (there's 8 guilds from WAR that I've counted, able to field 20-30 peeps each of an evening, in two seperate alliances - if anyone was interested!) have been enjoying ourselves rampaging around the Borderlands the last week or so. Haven't managed to get into the Eternal Battlegrounds yet though, not sure how we've been faring there.

Seems to me we have a really strong prime time presence, but are generally losing overnight / daytime, and have generally finished 2nd in our match ups. Is that a fair assessment of how we're doing?

Am I also correct in thinking we've finished ahead of Whiteside Ridge three times out of three now?

Looking at other websites (GW2 Guru particularly) there are some people (from Seafarer's Rest and Whiteside Ridge) who are very vocally against Piken Square - apparently we suck at PvP, always finish last, have never ever ever ever been in the lead ever, etc etc. All very amusing to read - so I guess we're doing something right if we're getting flamed already!
Posted Sep 11, 12
Pogs:
+1
Who are the WAR guilds ?

I know Da Balck Hands from Burlock (my old server)
also Karn Aaanug from happy times in Ettenmoors on Laurelin and there's a few guild names that sound kind of familair but they are quite common guild names so whether they are the same ones I have come across I really don't know.

Posted Sep 11, 12
Pogs:
+205
Benefactor
Turx wrote:

Looking at other websites (GW2 Guru particularly) there are some people (from Seafarer's Rest and Whiteside Ridge) who are very vocally against Piken Square - apparently we suck at PvP, always finish last, have never ever ever ever been in the lead ever, etc etc. All very amusing to read - so I guess we're doing something right if we're getting flamed already!

They are wrong actually. From where i've seen it we are around second place in most of our fights. Sometimes we are number one, seen that a few times, sometimes we are last (like today coincidentally) however most of the matches we've played we are second.

Also the last two times we fought against Whiteside Ridge (the feared reddit server) we actually beat them. Overall i'm very happy with the results. Sure we aren't a top server but trust me you don't want to be a top server because that just means you have to wait hours in a queue (no thanks I'd rather play when I want to play!). We win some we lose some but we got RP and they don't!
bliiissss.png

Posted Sep 12, 12
Pogs:
+1
Blis wrote:
They are wrong actually. From where i've seen it we are around second place in most of our fights. Sometimes we are number one, seen that a few times, sometimes we are last (like today coincidentally) however most of the matches we've played we are second.

Also the last two times we fought against Whiteside Ridge (the feared reddit server) we actually beat them. Overall i'm very happy with the results. Sure we aren't a top server but trust me you don't want to be a top server because that just means you have to wait hours in a queue (no thanks I'd rather play when I want to play!). We win some we lose some but we got RP and they don't!

From what I've seen, our biggest issue isn't our server sucking at PvP, it's that we don't have 24/hr coverage of WvW. Between the period of 6pm-12am we tend to dominate the other two servers, but then everyone goes to bed and we get steamrolled by one of the other two servers and don't have enough people to take anything back until people log on in the evening.
Posted Sep 12, 12
Pogs:
+33
Brann Cináed wrote:

From what I've seen, our biggest issue isn't our server sucking at PvP, it's that we don't have 24/hr coverage of WvW. Between the period of 6pm-12am we tend to dominate the other two servers, but then everyone goes to bed and we get steamrolled by one of the other two servers and don't have enough people to take anything back until people log on in the evening.

This is what I see as well. We dominate during peak times but we lose ground during the night and early morning.
Posted Sep 13, 12
Pogs:
+205
Benefactor
Yeah that seems to be true. I just read on the GW2 forum that French server Visunah Square is the number 1 European server because they have a large contingent of french Canadians.
bliiissss.png

Posted Sep 13, 12
Page
of 7
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices