No users online.
Recent Threads
Main Forum
Page
of 16

Arkavyn's Armory! A weapons and armor guide.

150 replies
Pogs:
+1,133
Hah, I can understand that...but the reason why I am not pointing specific things is, that those are allrready covered in the realism thread.

So if you wish to know my critisism to stuff, well...I agree with Manhelm and Blinde on that thread. What they have put out would be my arguments against some points you make.

And especially since you in many parts use pretty much exactly same parts and even sentences as the OP in realism quide...well, arguments have been proven false or made under suspicion allready there.

But one I could mention here.

Plate armor and shields. Plate is for deflecting just like shields. Shield is not reduntant in battle even if you are wearing plate, especially in GW2 universe where there is alot of flying stuff. Plate does not make you in vincible juggernaut, it just gives extra protection in form of deflecting.

Since this is abour realism, I'd check the facts such as about zweihanders and plate. There is rather long explanation on the Realism thread, somewhere after the 12th page about it.
Arrpeee! That's the stuff.
Posted Sep 8, 12
Pogs:
+119
Well, first off, I checked the guide, and it stole blatantly from a guide I contributed to on the WoW forums without giving credit. The reason it seems like I used the 'same part' is because he was quoting my old guide, word for word, found here:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/5911504002?page=1

As for zweihanders and plate, I -did- read what was on the 12th page, and I disagree strongly with everything said there! I maintain the accuracy of my assessments. If you wish to know about specifics, and why I disagree with the realism thread, just ask. I don't want to needlessly clutter this thread disputing that one.

And regarding your last point, I never said plate is invincible. It's also, however, MUCH more durable than shields are. Shields are made of wood, which is great for absorbing thick impacts like blunt weapons or arrows, but it's not terribly durable. The problem with blunt weapons is that they're much easier dodged than blocked, even in plate armor. When you're on foot in plate, I'm not saying a shield is useless; I'm saying it's not nearly as useful as the power and reach of a two-handed weapon.

So to clarify: I agree that a shield isn't entirely redundant in plate, but insist that it pales in comparison to the benefits of a greatsword, flail, or warhammer.
Posted Sep 8, 12 · OP · Last edited Sep 8, 12
Pogs:
+119
Hey guys, I updated the guide, quite a bit, and started organization!

Due to the regrettable closing of the Realism thread, I decided it would be beneficial if I really expanded and elaborated on this guide. So I'm going to be updating it as frequently as possible with new weapons and armor information, but I still encourage people to ask what they want to know, and I can prioritize it! Each time I update, I'll also make a new post with what I added, and what's my next priority, like so!

WHAT I ADDED TO THE FIRST POST: Sword section, as well as putting my longbow answer in the first post!

Spoiler: SWORDSShow

WHAT'S COMING NEXT: General sections for axes, blunt weapons, leather, chainmail, and plate armor!
Posted Sep 9, 12 · OP
Pogs:
+1,557
Admin
Benefactor
Very useful. Stickied.
Posted Sep 9, 12
Pogs:
+119
Aha, wow, thank you for the sticky!

I added two new sections, Light and Heavy armor basics, found in the first post and right below. I'm hoping to add dagger, blunt weapon, and axe basics as well today.

Spoiler: LIGHT ARMOR BASICSShow

Spoiler: HEAVY ARMOR BASICSShow
Posted Sep 10, 12 · OP
Pogs:
+2,997
Benefactor
This is probably a bit out of your wheelhouse, but I'd love to know more about pistols since my leveling-main makes heavy use of them and I would like her to be ICly knowledgeable. Just something to put on the back burner!
1381452354_signature-PHBY2YBM.png
I play mostly noon-7pm Eastern, or 9-4 Pacific/server time. If you're frequently on during those hours, and like any of my characters, please friend me and bother me!

Follow the adventures of my plethora of alts at my Character Tumblr!
Posted Sep 10, 12
Pogs:
+119
Sure, I can put pistols on the list! As soon as I'm finished with my general sections, I'll be more than happy to include firearms.

Also, dagger section is up.

Spoiler: DAGGERSShow
Posted Sep 10, 12 · OP · Last edited Sep 10, 12
Pogs:
+24
I sorta wish I hadn't left the books on medieval warfare I had when doing essays at Uni now.

Spot of contribution if you want it:

You've mentioned the draw of a longbow and that was the biggest excluding thing about the weapon. There's a reason the French never suddenly adopted the weapon and they sure as hell knew how effective the thing was. To use the biggest bows with the heaviest draw that could knock a hole in plate armour (especially later armour that was specially designed to deflect blows away from the body with angled surfaces) bowmen would have to be raised to it. This is why historians find skeletons of archers that are actually deformed by the way their muscles adapated to the weapon.

On a bit of realism, you can't really just pull a war longbow out and start firing away with it if you haven't been trained with it. Lesser draws and weights could work, but this whole training thing is why crossbows existed. You didn't have to raise a child to the crossbow to get a crossbowman.

For the draw of a longbow much more than just the draw arm is used. Starting slightly bent forward with the arm holding the bow stretched out the entire draw arm, shoulder and upper back muscles are used to draw the weapon as the user straightens up, taking the string with him.
false
Posted Sep 10, 12
Pogs:
+119
Thank you for the details, Mita! I'll add your details to the longbow section. Consider your name the first on the 'contributions' section I'll be adding at the bottom. :d
Posted Sep 10, 12 · OP
Pogs:
+119
Added some updates to the following sections:

Dual-wielding:

Another problem is that with a weapon in each hand, it's hard to put a lot of force behind individual blows. This means that while with two weapons, new opportunities to strike may be opened, they cannot be exploited with the same power a double-handed grip offers.

Sword basics:

Sharpness is important when regarding a sword’s lethality, but it does not come without a cost. For a blade to be sharp, it has to be thin, which means that the edge is more easily dulled and that the weapon is liable to break when the flat is struck strongly. Usually, the lighter and sharper the blade, the less frequently one should seek to parry and block, instead favoring evasive action. This is why sword arts such as Kenjutsu favored dodging and countering over blocking, whereas the Germanic sword schools, with their heavier, thicker blades, encouraged blocking and even bashing.

Balance is also an important factor to consider in all weapons, especially swords. I’ll be going into more details about this in the specific weapon sections, but for now, an important thing to remember is that different weapons have different priorities in balancing. Swords, for the most part, require a relatively equal and sometimes even bottom-heavy distribution of weight. Because of their length and the slashing and thrusting motions, a top-heavy blade is extremely unwieldy and impractical. As a result, a sword’s weight is usually in the hilt and pommel more than the blade itself.
Posted Sep 10, 12 · OP
Page
of 16
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices