No users online.
Recent Threads
Main Forum
Page
of 16

Arkavyn's Armory! A weapons and armor guide.

150 replies
Pogs:
+119
Edited some typos and minor inaccuracies. Been somewhat busy with work, sorry for the lack of new content. By tomorrow night, I plan to have the axe and shield section up, and hopefully blunt weapons.
Posted Sep 13, 12 · OP
Pogs:
+24
Verica wrote:
This is probably a bit out of your wheelhouse, but I'd love to know more about pistols since my leveling-main makes heavy use of them and I would like her to be ICly knowledgeable. Just something to put on the back burner!

Since I've contributed before I could contribute again. I did a little (and I mean a little) training in firearms with the British army and I've read books about it. Yes.

A few things anyone who knows anything about guns will know:

The difference between smoothbore and rifled barrels.

I'm not going to go too detailed because A: It's boring and B: I know the basics and not the full down to finite details.

Smoothbore is what shotgun and early firearm barrels were. It's just a tube with a projectile at one end that very quickly exits the other end of the tube at killing velocity. It is also incredibly inaccurate. Shotguns remain lethal at range because of chokes (won't go into, this is about pistols) and number of pellets (if using buckshot or bird shot. Never learned about slug ammunition.)

Early firearms did not remain accurate at all. Lethal accurate range would be, off the top of my head, about fifteen feet. The real reasons smoothbore weapons existed for so long are:

1: Rifling hadn't been developed yet.
2: Ease of manufacture (so have smoothbore weapons if you're a poor person)
3: It's much easier to load a shot into a smooth bore muzzle loading (The shot is loaded into the front of the barrel and pushed to the end of the barrel) firearm than it is to load a rifled muzzle loading firearm.

I doubt that Charr and Asura would be using smoothbore weapons as the Charr are the Charr and the Asura have laser guns.

Rifled: This is pretty much a series of grooves inside the barrel that gives the projectile spin that keeps it stable in flight. If you use rifled weapons there are a few other things that your character would know about.

1: Windage. If the projectile is too small to grip the rifling grooves inside the barrel you may as well be using a substandard smoothbore firearm. The grooves will not impart spin and much of the force of the explosion propelling the projectile will be wasted on pretty much bugger all. Having the correct ammunition for your weapon is important, as is maintaining the weapon.

2: Maintaining the weapon: Cleaning the inside of a rifled barrel is easy but needs some effort. A (clean) cloth is attached to the end of a string or small rope before being pulled through the barrel (from the chamber out through the muzzle) to clean carbon deposits. I'm not going to go into cleaning a weapon because A: Boring and B: Never cleaned a magical Asura weapon in my life.

As for pistols themselves... the rate of fire suggests that while most pistols in the game resemble muzzle loading weaponry, they probably load from a magazine contained somewhere within the body of the weapon. Most likely inside the grip, as this is at the rear of the weapon and if I remember right pistol action makes use of a hammer at the back of the firearm.

This just means you'd be carrying little hollow rectangular metal boxes of rounds that have a strong spring in the bottom to feed rounds into the weapon (rounds are a metal case with a percussion cap at one end (a small explosive charge that detonates the explosive that fires the bullet. This is struck by the hammer when the trigger is squeezed) and the bullet sealing the other end. In between these is the charge that fires the bullet. Simple.)

Stuff good markspeople do: Find a good braced position to fire the weapon from. With a pistol this is as simple as using two hands (if you're going akimbo you've already kicked believabilty in the balls but whatevs) to steady the weapon. Most soldiers will try to fire from prone (not possible in game but also whatevs). Your character displaying good markmanship would be them slowing down, regulating their breathing and squeezing the trigger slowly for a measured shot.

That means don't sprint around like someone who's been mainlining the matrix.
false
Posted Sep 13, 12
Pogs:
+1,327
So far as pistols in game go, the vast majority are flintlocks, they simply fire so fast to make them practical. In RP I would advise treating these weapons realistically. The rate of fire in combat actually put me of the Engineer and thief.
Posted Sep 13, 12
Pogs:
+259
I'd say the early designs and lower-leveled weapons resemble a flintlock; the higher you go, the more they start to take influences from more advanced technology/designs.
Posted Sep 13, 12
Pogs:
+1,327
I cant speak for the Asuran weapons but if someone started firing a magazine fed pistol at me in RP i wouldnt be happy,

Example of Magazine fed pistol - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIG_Sauer_P220
Example of Flintlock mechanism on weaponry - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flintlock

The first self loading pistol model to gain any commercial success was the Borchardt C-93 semi-automatic pistol, which was designed in 1893 and made its public appearance in 1894. i know its hard to relate the real world to the ingame one but Human civilisation doesnt strike me as advanced enough to be creating such weapons which require precision engineering.

judging from the appearance of most of the pistols, however fancy they are they dont fit the timeframe for anything as advanced as a springloaded magazines.

That said I would not be apposed to an Engineer Rper pioneering weapons such as the Windbusche air rifle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girandoni_Air_Rifle) but it would have to be done maturely as not to become op. Besides if every tom dick and harry ran around carrying modernish hand cannons it would make rp fights a pain for us greatsword wielding types.
Posted Sep 13, 12
Pogs:
+78
Metric system pl0x! :d A technically (technician's) accurate information is measured in the metric system!

Other then that, thank you for the post. A great deal of useful information. Being placed like this, in one place, inspires as well. Thanks to this I know exactly how my character would fight.
b2a24e34d9dba581.png
Posted Sep 13, 12
Pogs:
+259
Alaric Grimslade wrote:
I cant speak for the Asuran weapons but if someone started firing a magazine fed pistol at me in RP i wouldnt be happy,

Example of Magazine fed pistol - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIG_Sauer_P220
Example of Flintlock mechanism on weaponry - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flintlock

The first self loading pistol model to gain any commercial success was the Borchardt C-93 semi-automatic pistol, which was designed in 1893 and made its public appearance in 1894. i know its hard to relate the real world to the ingame one but Human civilisation doesnt strike me as advanced enough to be creating such weapons which require precision engineering.

judging from the appearance of most of the pistols, however fancy they are they dont fit the timeframe for anything as advanced as a springloaded magazines.

That said I would not be apposed to an Engineer Rper pioneering weapons such as the Windbusche air rifle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girandoni_Air_Rifle) but it would have to be done maturely as not to become op. Besides if every tom dick and harry ran around carrying modernish hand cannons it would make rp fights a pain for us greatsword wielding types.

I wouldn't quite say that; most of the classes generally pull magic from one of the bloodstones to alter their abilities past "normal" limits. In that sense? People who don't--like engineers--might need that edge.
Posted Sep 13, 12
Pogs:
+1,327
Engineers I would say have an advantage they have a great reason to have obscure weapons. If of course they are an engineer IC'ly maybe a primitive repeater or bulti barreled contraption.

I personally wouldnt enhance my character's abilities beyond whats normal, out of personal preference as invking the Gods wrath on someone in Rp is badform in my opinion. As it would be if someone whipped out an Uzi and fired dozens of rounds of ammo at someone.
Posted Sep 13, 12
Pogs:
+119
This was some really good firearms talk! If it's okay with you lot, I'd like to include some of it in the guide. A lot doesn't really apply to the tech level of Guild Wars 2, but a lot does, as well, which is of course helpful. :)
Posted Sep 14, 12 · OP
Pogs:
+24
The stuff about magazine fed weapons was to explain the rate of fire in game guns sustain as well as to give gun wielders a rotting chance in hell of fighting anyone IC. If you miss with a flintlock weapon that is your only defense you are definitely buggered.

If we're avoiding magazines the other possibility is what was done with puckle guns (Empire total war, anyone) in which the barrel is capable of being removed entirely from the weapon and a fresh, pre-loaded one put into its place to reload the weapon.
false
Posted Sep 14, 12
Page
of 16
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices