Recent Threads
Main Forum
Page
of 3

Best All Around Class for WvW

20 replies
Pogs:
+11
I've been having what really is an unprecedented amount of difficulty choosing a main in this game, so I figured I'd just bring my problems to the community for help.

I'm looking for a class that's good at everything basically. That could be my problem. I'm not looking to be totally amazing at everything all the time though. I'll outline the problems I've had with my two 80s to show you where I'm coming from a little better.

Thief -

Imagine my frustration at playing the class that everyone hates the most in WvW and thinks is OP, but not enjoying those particular builds, lol. My thief is great if I build him glass cannon, and find an idiot running around alone, or who strays too far from his group (and doesn't have too many defensive buttons on his bar to negate my burst).

That's about the extent of the fun though. If zergs clash and I don't find an idiot, I'm basically screwed. If we try to take or defend a keep, I'm almost worthless. Scorpion Wire is fun when it's not obstructed, and you can kind of harass people with shortbow if you or they are right under the wall, but the range limitations really kill the class for me. If the shortbow was bumped to 1200 range, I'd be on this guy all day.

Guardian -

Fantastic support! I can run up to a friendly zerg sieging a keep or fighting off an enemy force, and totally change the battle just with my support abilities. I mean, I won't get rewarded for it at all, but it's pretty fun anyway. The Guardian also has a 1200 range option! It's just terrible.

I know you're wondering why I re-rolled from Thief to Guardian after not liking the ranged limitations. I don't know either.

So yeah, at this point I've looked at other things trying to determine what fits jack of all trades the best. I'm leaning towards warrior. Good 1200 range options for both single target and AoE, ok support, strong solo-ers, perma-swiftness is easy to get. Strong melee specs, can be glass cannon or tankier successfully.

Is that my best shot? Anything I'm totally overlooking that will make me hate the class? Lol (SPvP is no concern of mine, so I'm not worried about warriors under performing there)

Thoughts on other classes as well? I've never played a warrior before. I generally prefer magicky or agile classes, but I guess I could stomach it if the playstyle is the most enjoyable. (In order of how I'm feeling about them now, from best to worst)

I generally hate pet classes, so Rangers are iffy. They don't seem too obtrusive in GW2 though. I think if I just used a small bird pet I'd be fine. The 1500 range on the longbow seems legit as well.

Engineer seems alright. A bit on the slow side, and I might get bored of spamming 'nades.

Elementalists - I'm not overly concerned with their underpoweredness, but the lack of weapon swapping from a ranged to a melee seems like a serious problem when you're not standing on a wall.

Mesmers don't do it for me. The clones just lead to unexciting play in my opinion.

Necro - Staff abilities bore me to tears.
QVh8aZY.png
Posted Oct 12, 12 · OP · Last edited Oct 12, 12
Pogs:
+97
I'd recommend Ranger, for range, versatility, and support. They've got a decent bit of control, too.
The pets are fairly easy to ignore, although they're handy as a self-res and a dps boost.

Warriors are solid in WvW, but they suffer a little from being a jack of all trades. They don't have as much survivability as Guardians, nor as much ranged strength as Rangers, or the control/dps of Thieves. So it's easy to get smacked around by more specialized players.

Engineer's pretty great. Nade-spam does get a little tedious, but the profession's versatility, control, and perma-swift combine nicely. That mortar elite's a marvel in sieges, too.
Rapturous Sauerkraut.9127
Posted Oct 12, 12
Pogs:
+8,926
Founder
Potato Queen
I think it really depends if you're WvWing alone or with a party. For example, alone, Guardians and Elementalists both really aren't at their best, guardians because they're limited to mid-range at the furthest and generally aren't specced for damage, and elementalists for the lack of weapon-swap and general holy-crap-squishy-no-health-pool problem. In a party, though, both are absolutely fabulous.
Posted Oct 12, 12
Pogs:
+11
Thanks for the responses so far, it's helping to get more input into my decision making process.

As to small/medium group vs solo vs zerg play, I do a fair mix of all of those really. I guess that's why I'm eyeing the warrior so much. Really my biggest concern with them is that rifle seems pretty boring. I may give engineer a whirl to see how much fun it is. I have to admit, it seems pretty engaging if nothing else. Plus my girlfriend has an 80 Engi, so I'd be able to give it a shot in WvW and not just the Heart of the Mists.

Alternatively, if anyone has non-glass cannon thief builds that work well in versatile settings I'd love to give it a shot (haven't found any so far, everyone on other forums seems to be building haste/backstab cheese).
QVh8aZY.png
Posted Oct 12, 12 · OP
Ardeth x
Pogs:
Elementalists: Build a durable one, they aren't that glassy if you trait and gear properly. There are a few builds, but earth with bleeds is good for pvp. My roomie plays an Ele, and they don't die very often (they often take on multiple opponents), but they do need to move a lot and be proactive about things. You also need to be comfortable with kiting and a lot of movement in general. IE: the skill cap is high.

Mesmer: You live forever if you keep moving, but you are dead if you stop moving, and you will never be a high-damage class. Being able to get into range to get tokens is difficult for me personally, as that heavy and medium type (or a necro) over there is always finishing the enemy before I can get to them. (Coincidentally, I get all the enemy fire while said other medium or heavy or necro just gets to finish their enemy. On the other hand, I am almost never dead, so can at least roll from event to event. Not sure how I'll ever get enough tokens to get a legendary, though!

People always say melee isn't viable in WvW, but that's bupkis, I see warriors and guardians and thieves (daggerdagger) and such stomping around and they are always the guys somehow finishing off their opponents.

Most of the dead eles I see are the ones who just stand and pewpewlazors. That's a death sentence for anyone and eles players are so bad about this.

My roomie doesn't have much problems with damage as an ele, so it's deffo build, traits and playstyle that really matter.
I should have learned to abide by 2RP's rules.
Posted Oct 12, 12
Pogs:
+2,305
Benefactor
I don't have a lot of experience on any class but thief in wvw.but I will say that I go into wvw without expectation since so far I am just learning by experience and not reading sites. What I find fun to do with my thief is just to harass people, spread conditions and pick off wounded people that try to leave the battle area. Since I tend to like survivable characters I also enjoy frustrating people who think all thieves are glass cannons - I once led three people a merry dance for about ten minutes - they got me, but all that time they were not attacking the keep and my guild mates were bringing in supply. It also amused me the energy expended on one very inconsequential thief run by a very carebear player.
That person who is always playing Goseldt the thief.
Posted Oct 12, 12
Pogs:
+91
Isarii wrote:
Alternatively, if anyone has non-glass cannon thief builds that work well in versatile settings I'd love to give it a shot (haven't found any so far, everyone on other forums seems to be building haste/backstab cheese).

that's actually exactly what i built my thief for. my traits are at 5/30/10/10/15 (though i may still tinker with it a bit in the future). for the actual selected traits, #3 and #11 are staples in the crit tree, swapping in #6, #9 and #10 in the 20 point slot as needed. i use #5 in shadow arts, to soak a bit of the initiative cost of cloak and dagger. i went with #1 in acrobatics, as i tend to do a lot of wile e. coyote style cliff diving in WvW, either when following the zerg, getting to the supply camp closest to the tower i'm defending, or just needing to escape from a group. i went with #4 in trickery to give my backstabs a bit of a boost. it also helps everything else out, since i'm keeping mobile and not many things can actually hit me if i'm not in front of them. i end up with a lot of initiative to burn, getting some back on my crits. and do my best work from behind (insert joke here). i can come in and get 9 stacks of bleeding in immediately with death blossom, 12 if a couple of the attack crit, which they usually do. with my gear set up, they hit for a decent amount. usually, though, i just use one or two, then cloak and dagger, then finish with a heartseeker or two.

setting his gear up was a bit expensive though. with the jewelry, i went with the emerald orichalcum pieces(power/precision/toughness) for the rings and earrings then popped an exquisite ruby(power/precision/crit damage) into all of them. for the amulet, i just went with the normal ruby orichalcum one, with the ruby jewel it came with. my boots and shoulderpads have precision/toughness/condition damage on them, while everything else is power/precision/crit damage. i went with 5 runes of the engineer, and 1 rune of the golemancer. in WvW, i use a shortbow primarily and drop cluster bombs onto people from the walls. it's a little slow, but if there are actually people helping you defend somewhere, it's easy enough to get a bunch of damage and kills in. i always keep a set dual daggers equipped everywhere, in case i need to switch to melee. (one with poer/precision/crit damge, the other with power/precision/condition damage.) i'm able to make use of all of the combat abilities, instead of just needing to spam heartseeker and cloak and dagger, or conversely death blossom. in dungeons, i swap out the bow for dual pistols, as they put out a bit more damage and range isn't as much of a factor. granted, they're only single target, and it's pretty much just spamming unload, but you're able to keep damage going while keeping mobile.

i don't specialize in any one area, but i'm also not pigeonholed into any one area either. i can do WvW, dungeons, and just roam around the world. i'm not popping 16k backstabs, but i'm also not dying to a strong breeze. i can scout pretty well on my own, and work better with a group in combat. some of the storyline missions were a bit rough though, but i think they've been toned down a bit since then. toward the end though, things became a whole lot easier. except for underwater combat. i tend to avoid it at all costs.
Posted Oct 13, 12
Pogs:
+11
*wanders off to SPvP to give that a shot*
QVh8aZY.png
Posted Oct 13, 12 · OP
Pogs:
+11
At this point (thanks to Sauerkraut's description) I've tried out an engineer, and am really loving it. I used a rifle build that was a little glass-cannony, so I'm worried how well it will end up working in WvW, but I guess it's risk I'm willing to take. The warrior is probably more what I'm looking for, but it just feels like playing hotkey whackamole.

Plus leather armor is ballin' in this game. Going to have to farm up a million billion karma to get the armor the human engineer wears at character creation.
QVh8aZY.png
Posted Oct 14, 12 · OP
Pogs:
+116
I've done the vast majority of my WvW as Ranger, and I'm really happy with it. I do tons of damage at 1500 range, which means I can easily down and kill a lot of people that are surrounded by allies, and the longbow barrage is basically your own (somewhat long cooldown) arrow cart. I can defend really well from walls, DPS siege, wall defenders, or the gate in a siege, and generally be a huge niusance in fights in the open. And in the unfortunate situation where I'm caught close to enemies, the Entangle elite is absolutely amazing.
oM03Exu.png
Posted Oct 16, 12
Page
of 3
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices