Page
of 12

The Rights of Roleplayers

110 replies
Pogs:
+8,925
Founder
Potato Queen
( Disclosure: This thread is the opinion of the poster and does not necessarily reflect the opinions or policies of 2RP. )

1) You have the right to roleplay your character however you want, with any name or background you want, and about any topic or theme that you want, so long as what you are doing does not break the game's terms of service.

2) You have the right to roleplay anywhere in the world that you want. No one has the authority to remove you from a public area ICly or OOCly or tell you that you can't be there, no matter what they might claim.

3) You have the right to roleplay in whatever style you wish. You can adhere to the standards of language/communication as little or as much as you want. You can use whatever tense that you like or emote however you see best. You can use the surroundings around you or disregard them if you see fit.

4) You have the right to start or stop roleplaying whenever you wish. You do not have to acquiesce to requests for you to be IC or OOC, or listen to anyone that tells you when you can or cannot roleplay. No one has the authority to tell you when to roleplay.

5) You have the right to roleplay with anyone who agrees to roleplay with you, for as long as they agree to roleplay with you. Roleplay is between you and those that have agreed to roleplay with you, and no one else.

6) You have the right to set standards for the kinds of roleplay you want to participate in. You have the right to choose only roleplay partners and situations that you find enjoyable. You have the right to leave a roleplay situation at any time if you find that it does not live up to the standards that you find enjoyable.

7) You have the right to set your own boundaries for what you're comfortable participating in. You have the right to say no to roleplay situations that make you uncomfortable and to remove yourself from that situation at any time.

8) You have the right to not roleplay with people that you don't enjoy. You have the right to avoid them for any reason under the sun, IC or OOC; a "good" reason is not required. You are not obligated to justify it to anyone. You have the right to choose not to roleplay with someone again even if you've previously roleplayed with them in the past.

9) You have the right to block/ignore anyone whose behavior, either IC or OOC, upsets or annoys you. You are not obligated to read other people's chat messages. You are not obligated to tell anyone you have blocked them, and you are not obligated to justify it to anyone.

10) You have the right to report people that harass you, use inappropriate or defamatory language in talking to you or around you, or that otherwise break ArenaNet's terms of service.

Remember that you always have these rights.

Remember also that everyone else you encounter has these same rights.
Posted Oct 17, 12 · OP
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+5,502
If I'm any judge, one of the most important posts on this forum, second to the rules.
Posted Oct 17, 12
Pogs:
Agreeing with Spokko here and also saying, well said Amidwx.
Alnarie - Alnarie's Journal | Isrithr | Kristen Kath - Stories of a Bard
Poetry, I write it! | The Carol Project
Posted Oct 17, 12
Pogs:
+211
At first glance, most of this seems like common sense, but sometimes people do forget that they have, or should have, these rights. Members of the community should have a good look at this and acknowledge that they and other members of the community should be owed these rights for the benefit of everyone.

Great post Amidwx :)
Posted Oct 17, 12
Pogs:
+293
Quote:
No one has the authority to remove you from a public area ICly
I think this part is not quite accurate. Anyone can have the IC authority to remove anyone from anywhere at any time, but you have the right to not engage them on the matter. If you're determined to stay put, there's nothing they can actually do except complain. You have the responsibility to decide how to proceed from there, and will face the social ramifications of whatever choice you make.
Posted Oct 17, 12
Pogs:
+8,925
Founder
Potato Queen
Nonsensicles wrote:
If you're determined to stay put, there's nothing they can actually do except complain.

This is exactly my point. The right is yours to stay and roleplay. They don't actually have any authority at all unless you give it to them.

This post isn't about what the most responsible course of action might be in any given situation. You're right that the responsible thing might, in a given situation, be to engage the person ICly, or to OOCly negotiate with them. On the flipside, you might be dealing with someone who is behaving like a bully and is trying to strong-arm you, ICly or OOCly, into roleplaying in a way that you don't want. In that case, the responsible thing would be to ignore them and go about your business.

What this post is about is rights. The point is that you are not obligated to negotiate with someone, no matter what they might claim. You have a right to roleplay in that space.
Posted Oct 17, 12 · OP
Pogs:
+213
The role-play ten commandments. Ingenious.
Posted Oct 17, 12
Pogs:
+76
Spokko wrote:
If I'm any judge, one of the most important posts on this forum, second to the rules.

Well said and I agree completely!
~~~Tarnished Coast NA~~~~~~
RumDrum.7903
Feel free to add me or just say hello!
Posted Oct 17, 12
Pogs:
+1,844
Nonsensicles wrote:
Quote:
No one has the authority to remove you from a public area ICly
I think this part is not quite accurate. Anyone can have the IC authority to remove anyone from anywhere at any time, but you have the right to not engage them on the matter. If you're determined to stay put, there's nothing they can actually do except complain. You have the responsibility to decide how to proceed from there, and will face the social ramifications of whatever choice you make.

I actually think it's up to people when they establish their roleplay premises to avoid situations of territoriality where this might be the case. I have to agree with the original statement that nobody has the right to try to remove you, basically because I don't believe any player has the right to take absolute ownership over any part of the world. You can set up those sorts of storylines amongst those that you roleplay with as long as they are willing but I don't believe you should impose your IC authority on the general population. I definitely agree that people have the right to totally disregard people who try to do this, but I'm not comfortable in saying that the person has the right to be trying in the first place. It's not something that needs to end in hostility but is probably something that doesn't need to exist in the first place.

I agree wholeheartedly with this list and live by its philosophy daily. People wind up so personally invested in their roleplay that any dissent or dissatisfaction, or even request for modification, winds up sending them into a defensive spiral that only leads to arguments and a combative atmosphere. It's totally unnecessary. Just because someone doesn't like what you want to write doesn't mean that what you want to write is terrible. They don't have the right to tell you that but it's also your responsibility to accept that they have a right to their opinion. I also find that people are too quick to imply judgement on themselves just because someone is expressing dislike for storyline premises. As long as the person isn't actually saying that you're a fool/sicko/idiot then the situation probably isn't quite as bad as you're interpreting it and I have seen many discussion turn into arguments because both parties get pushed into having to protect themselves.

There are a lot of styles of RP, lots of levels of immersion and what may be "wrong" for you could be "right" for others. Find the people you click with and enjoy yourself. There's plenty of us to go around.
3955871.jpg
Nahuel Seif | Rylian Scott | Captain Joseph Doyle | Estella Ramsay | Vivienne Joubert | Jericho Stewart | 20 more characters!
Posted Oct 17, 12
Pogs:
+293
Amidwx wrote:
Nonsensicles wrote:
If you're determined to stay put, there's nothing they can actually do except complain.

This is exactly my point. They don't actually have any authority at all.

This post isn't about what the most responsible course of action might be in any given situation. You're right that the responsible thing might, in a given situation, be to engage the person ICly, or to OOCly negotiate with them. On the flipside, you might be dealing with someone who is behaving like a bully and is trying to strong-arm you, ICly or OOCly, into roleplaying in a way that you don't want. In that case, the responsible thing would be to ignore them and go about your business.

What this post is about is rights. The point is that you are not obligated to negotiate with someone, no matter what they might claim. You have a right to roleplay in that space.
They, the player, have no real authority, but that doesn't mean they don't can't roleplay their character as having authority. In other words, anyone has the right to assert IC authority, but only over those who are willing to accept that as part of their own roleplay. If you're not willing, you have the right to ignore it. Things will happen as a consequence of that, but if it means pissing off people you don't want to have anything to do with anyway, you're free to not be bothered by that.

And I have serious issues with the assertion of rights without acknowledgement of the interdependent responsibilities. It frankly disgusts me, so I'll just leave this discussion alone from here.
Posted Oct 17, 12
Page
of 12
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices