Main Forum
Page
of 12

The Rights of Roleplayers

110 replies
Pogs:
+1,844
wrote:
In this case, trolls, public ERPers, and people forcing 6 winged demon vampire RP down folks' throats deserve it. Not to be simply slapped onto the block list. It's like finding a rattlesnake in your garage and instead of killing or removing the snake, letting it stay there because rattlesnakes are people too.

And using gas to try to put out a fire will only send the flames higher. Depending on how you want to twist words, either of our analogies works to describe the situation, from a certain angle, and thus they just cancelled out each other's validity.

It is also not a solution to become a pineapple in an attempt to assert that other people should not be pineapples. Sorry, but your whole argument hinges on situations where a moral high-ground can be established and, well, most of the time that self-appointed importance only extends as far as the person who believes they've actually got it.
3955871.jpg
Nahuel Seif | Rylian Scott | Captain Joseph Doyle | Estella Ramsay | Vivienne Joubert | Jericho Stewart | 20 more characters!
Posted Jul 8, 13
wrote:
Sorry, but your whole argument hinges on situations where a moral high-ground can be established and, well, most of the time that self-appointed importance only extends as far as the person who believes they've actually got it.

Well, I very much like to imagine that I'm on a higher ground than someone describing sex acts in loving, completely public detail, annoying people for fun, or being a waspish killjoy that constantly brings up counterpoints 'n criticisms OOCly to try and "win".

I'm by no means nice all the time, or polite, but I'd reckon I'm a more agreeable person than Jimmy McTroll or Public Sex Sally.

I was going to try and put a clever response to your gas and fire analogy here but I couldn't make it work. :c
Posted Jul 8, 13 · Last edited Jul 8, 13
Pogs:
+1,371
wrote:
An interesting description of the problem, and curiously illustrated, but addressing the bad roleplayers was not really the issue I was getting at. It's not about the terrible lore-breaking characters, or the mass of them that pervades cities and taverns across the servers. They're the result of an environment that sets no rules nor expecatations, where the "light" RPers (and trolls - an oft blurred boundary) have fun at the expense of those who seek quality (because the quality-seekers have to do as you mentioned). This is more about finding and RPing with the roleplayers who want to hold themselves to a higher quality and being able to find them without having to sift through the drivel. I disagree that drama and headaches are the only outcome from seeking such a solution, and that mature role-players are capable of holding themselves to a simple framework that promotes and upholds quality, lore-abiding RP.

Games like this cannot and will never be controlled by a DM or someone who acts like a DM. The server wide population is too large and there would be pure chaos if rules were enforced about individual RP.

Want quality RP that fits your style? Find a guild that suits you or start your own. Only in guilds can RP be strictly enforced and/or regulated. And even then members have the right to leave if they don't like the rules! Don't quibble over the public RP that you won't participate in. No one is forcing you to play a Half Dragon Elf Vampire who is the master of the Order of Whispers. Really, it's quite pointless to sigh at the quality of RP on the streets of the Reach when you don't have to partake in it. Want quality RP? You have to find it because it's not going to be everywhere, it's going to be hiding. That's the reality. On a server this size the bad most often outweighs the good and the good is hiding away from the bad.

I'm sorry but it's this way across all MMORPGs, trust me.

Something else, I see events all the time here on this board being run by quality RPers. Events that are meant to encourage good, quality RP that everyone can enjoy. Take a look around. Come to some of the events and meet the people. We have a strange, crazy, but fun and interesting community. Not everyone gets along. Not everyone is nice. Not everyone is a troll, either. Find the people you like and friend them, invite them to RP, set up events yourself and invite people to them. Pretty soon you will have all the quality RP you want.

RP is not going to drop in your lap. Quality RP certainly won't. Like anything worth having RP you enjoy needs to be lovingly tended and encouraged and then it will grow and bloom into something awesome.
Brettil
Ysebeau

my tumblr
Posted Jul 8, 13
Pogs:
+8,926
Founder
Potato Queen
wrote:
Games like this cannot and will never be controlled by a DM or someone who acts like a DM. The server wide population is too large and there would be pure chaos if rules were enforced about individual RP.

Want quality RP that fits your style? Find a guild that suits you or start your own. Only in guilds can RP be strictly enforced and/or regulated. And even then members have the right to leave if they don't like the rules! Don't quibble over the public RP that you won't participate in.

I could not have said it better myself.

You cannot control the RP of others unless there is a tacit agreement between you that the RP is supposed to be controlled via some sort of shared set of rules and expectations. You can have those kinds of agreements in a guild, but you cannot easily do so with random people you have just met.

Every person has the right to RP what they wish, when they wish, wherever they wish, because there is no GM and nothing in the terms of service says they can't RP that they're sparkly vampires or Starbuck from Battlestar Galactica or that they're queen of the charr. Thankfully, you're not required to RP with any of those people.

Live and let live. There's no need to ruin their day, or to let them ruin yours. Just accept that you're not meant to RP together, and move on, without the need for aggressive policing or name-and-shame tactics to try to modify their behavior.
Posted Jul 9, 13 · OP
Pogs:
+177
If only people respected that second right lately. :(

With the influx of 'nobility' I've been told, and seen others be told, they can't enter builds or rooms of public locations because it's preowned by the occupying house. I thought it was an unwritten rule we were sharing public locations and accepting when more then one scene was happening in them.
17csvt.jpg/
Bard's Songbook
Ambrosia IC herbal remedies stall
Posted Jul 9, 13 · Last edited Jul 9, 13
Pogs:
+8,428
If only people respected that second right lately. :(
I'm getting that feeling progressively more and more too... *huggles*
Posted Jul 9, 13
EQY
The buildings are few and far between. When I encountered this problem, easiest and most smooth way to deal with this, I find, is to let those role-playing in the location go on with it, and I bring mine to another temporarily. Rather that than having a complete stranger stepping inside the house yelling, ‘So good to be home’. Next time they will give you the same courtesy, hopefully.
Posted Jul 9, 13
Pogs:
+177
Except when it's happening the other way around, and you're being told you have to leave. Edit: I should of been more specific! But yeah, otherwise I don't bother people or stick to a different floor.
17csvt.jpg/
Bard's Songbook
Ambrosia IC herbal remedies stall
wrote:

Want quality RP that fits your style? Find a guild that suits you or start your own. Only in guilds can RP be strictly enforced and/or regulated. And even then members have the right to leave if they don't like the rules! Don't quibble over the public RP that you won't participate in. No one is forcing you to play a Half Dragon Elf Vampire who is the master of the Order of Whispers. Really, it's quite pointless to sigh at the quality of RP on the streets of the Reach when you don't have to partake in it. Want quality RP? You have to find it because it's not going to be everywhere, it's going to be hiding. That's the reality. On a server this size the bad most often outweighs the good and the good is hiding away from the bad.

I'm sorry but it's this way across all MMORPGs, trust me.

Something else, I see events all the time here on this board being run by quality RPers. Events that are meant to encourage good, quality RP that everyone can enjoy. Take a look around. Come to some of the events and meet the people. We have a strange, crazy, but fun and interesting community. Not everyone gets along. Not everyone is nice. Not everyone is a troll, either. Find the people you like and friend them, invite them to RP, set up events yourself and invite people to them. Pretty soon you will have all the quality RP you want.

RP is not going to drop in your lap. Quality RP certainly won't. Like anything worth having RP you enjoy needs to be lovingly tended and encouraged and then it will grow and bloom into something awesome.

I'm not entirely sure if your response was directed at me, or at people in general, but you're reiterating the alternative, pre-existing solutions for which everyone in this thread, myself and you included, are fully well aware of. I'm looking for a bit more critical thinking around the subject. I find these existing solutions to the problem of finding quality RP to be lacking in many regards, and I'm not going to beat that subject into submission. I'm thinking there must be an entirely alternative approach, something close to disruptive social engineering with a positive outcome.

Call me of unreasonable aspirations, but to change the status quo is more along the lines of what I'm getting at.
Pogs:
+22
wrote:
Call me of unreasonable aspirations, but to change the status quo is more along the lines of what I'm getting at.

The problem with changing the status quo is that the changes one desires to make are subjective. We all want this "quality RP" that we all speak of, but we all have different definitions of it. Posting and publishing rules for lore standards and whatnot creates a set of restrictions based on someone's set of prescribed standards based on those definitions. Enforcing them is infringes up on the player's play style, their way of having fun. This is wrong, and we have no right to force our own standards on anyone.

When it comes down to it, if they aren't harming you, then why is it a problem. As Amidwx said, "live and let live."
Page
of 12
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices